Sunday, December 2, 2018

Supergirl Season 4 Episode 8 Review

Can you believe it's already the midseason finale for Supergirl? I know we have the crossover next week (which I will be posting reviews for all three episodes) but I'm pretty sure it's not really canon in terms of story movement so I thought I'd review this episode as it should be. Overall I really liked the episode so let's jump in,

I do think that this season is well written and this story is a very common one in superhero tales but I'm really not a fan of it. Humans are the actual worst cause we're always terrified of what we don't understand and what we can't control and it's literally in our bones to want to make things "other" so I get why this story is so often told but I just don't understand how this story can end well. This isn't something Kara can just punch and make go away as multiple characters have mentioned in the show and I can't see see a show like Supergirl which stands for hope continuing this hatred towards aliens over multiple seasons like The Gifted but I also can't see a way for this story to end without it feeling like those terribly cheesy gun control episodes Supergirl and Arrow did before. For so many weeks I debated dropping this show cause I just didn't want to watch it and be sad. I watch tv to get away from the real world and objectively like I said this season is leagues ahead of season 3 but in my heart, I struggle to get through it.

I liked that we finally revealed Ben Lockwood as Agent Liberty but the fact that his arrest changed nothing other than making him a martyr was super sad and I'll be so beyond pissed if this somehow gets him out of prison. It's one thing to spew hatred and racism out but it's another to actually hunt and kill people and aliens are still people no matter what the Agents of Liberty say so Ben deserves to be in jail. All those people can protest away. It was smart of him to blame Supergirl for hurting him rather than explaining that it was a human who did it cause it doesn't fit the message he's trying to relay but I feel like there should be an easier way to get that info out like through the news or something explaining that it was in fact a human who attacked another human cause it might take some of the wind out of his fake sails.

It was a little weird to find out that Nia was an alien too this week cause though I've known she's a Legionnaire called Dreamer, I didn't expect her to be an alien though I really should have cause Supergirl doesn't really do metas even though there should be metas in this world if Batman exists. Sidebar but how do you think the Agents of Liberty feel about metas? Probably like Guardian right? Her powers are kinda weird too but it was super cheesy how she spend years not being able to control her powers and then suddenly be able to kick ass with them just when they needed it the most. It's also interesting that Brainy and Kara didn't tell her the truth about themselves. I wonder if the season would end with her going to the future with Brainy after all?

My favorite part of this season so far is definitely Manchester Black who's hilariously not that different from Oliver or any of Team Arrow but over here on Supergirl, he's a monster who deserves to be punished forever for hurting criminals and bad guys. It does make me roll my eyes a little cause the over cheesiness and wholesome goodness the heroes on this show need to have is one of the reasons that I never thought Supergirl was my favorite of the Arrowverse shows (ugh remember when Mon El was deemed the absolute worst just cause he liked to drink and sleep around as if that's the worse crime a person could commit?) but as the episode went on and he tried to kill Ben's innocent wife, that's when he started to become more of a villain than an anti-hero. I do hope this isn't the last we see of him cause technically he still hasn't hurt anyone innocent yet and I do think that this is one of those cases where Supergirl is going to have to get down in the dirt to get the job done so I could see them working together again in the future.

The end of the episode with Supergirl basically being fired from the DEO was a little sad but I liked it cause I've always thought that Supergirl shouldn't really work for the US government anyway. I wonder if she'll become a vigilante now that she doesn't have permission to be out in the streets or if she'll create her own team of superheroes and if Brainy will follow her cause I have a feeling this whole full transparency thing won't be great for explaining that he's not only an alien but from the future as well. Speaking of, damn I miss Mon El and I do hope that he'll come back at some point whether it's this season or next. I'm still waiting for our Mon El and Winn bromance in the 31st century episode!!

I'll see you all tomorrow for my Arrow review and the crossover next week!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment