Monday, December 10, 2018

Arrow Season 7 Episode 9 Review

Part 2 of the crossover was tonight and I'm glad to say that it was a little better than part 1 though honestly it was a pretty low bar. I'm still highly disappointed in the fact that I didn't enjoy the crossover last night because it seems like most people did enjoy it so far and didn't particularly notice or care about the mistreatment of Oliver's character which makes me wonder if I overreacted or if I'm just that protective of Oliver and Arrow as a show. Enough about that though and let's focus on the second part of the crossover!

Before we actually get into the nitty gritty, I just wanna say I loved the intro with Barry as Oliver and then the opening with Diggle fighting Slade's son (Joey I think.) It was definitely a weird pull but I liked it anyway. Also I'm going to skip talking about the stuff I disliked which was pretty much the same as last time with it being Oliver's characterization though I have to say it was so much less obvious over here on Arrow than it was on Flash where I literally had the thought about whether the writers had even watched a single episode of Arrow before. I did feel as though the pacing was better tonight and I'm feeling as though part 1 was pretty much pointless in terms of the story cause nothing happened last night that really had anything to do with the plot even if there were fun moments like everything with Clark.

So the main plot here was that the team needed to go to Gotham to find that weird dude who's name I've forgotten already to figure out what was happening while they needed Felicity, Curtis, Cisco and Caitlin to figure out what was going on with the lightning. I really enjoyed everything in Gotham  from meeting Kate Kane and Batwoman to the Easter Eggs in Arkham Asylum. I grinned ear to ear when I saw some of those familiar Batman Rogues like Penguin and Riddler and Poison Ivy but of course we didn't really get to see them. I also really liked the character of Kate Kane and what a dark character she was. She really felt like a Bat family member and I loved her interactions with Kara. One of the best moments of the episode was when they shook hands cause I never thought I'd see a Bat and a Super be friends in the Arrowverse. I also thought it was an interesting premise that Bruce and Batman disappeared 3 years ago and that's why he's not around. I wonder if we'd ever get an answer to that in her show.

I have to say though once again this all felt unnecessary plotwise even if I had fun. When I first heard that Batwoman would be in this crossover I wondered what could cause her to pop up but like Lois's appearance, and the answer was pretty much nothing. A good character introduction would have made her essential to the plot but instead the weird doctor could have been hanging out in any city for all the good it did to go to Gotham! Nora Fries was also hyped up to be in the crossover and also did nothing other than a cameo/Easter Egg.

We did get the return of Malcolm which was super fun as well as Diaz and Eobard as Harrison Wells Reverse Flash and I actually liked how they appeared to (I know shocker right? Allie actually liked something about the crossover!) It was fun that they appeared to Barry and Oliver respectively as reality thought they were the other person so the hallucinogenic toxin did too. The fight where they thought the other was their mortal enemy was beautifully choreographed and edited to show us what they each saw and what Caitlin saw as she was unaffected by the toxin. I also understand why it was Malcolm and not Slade who appeared cause Oliver made peace with him last season though I feel like he probably made peace with Malcolm too by the time he died.

We also got a tiny smidge of Barry Allen from Earth 90 played by John Wesley Shipp who popped into our world to explain that the reason shit was going down was that The Monitor was going from Earth to Earth to have the Book of Destiny used to test that universe's heroes and that in order to stop it they needed to get the book away from the Monitor and whoever he passed it to. We then met The Monitor who explained that a crisis was coming and that he was trying to find out what universe could fight it and I got very excited cause he has to be talking about Infinite Crisis right? The thing that Barry disappears fighting in that newspaper article right?? Either way it got me excited!

The last thing I want to mention is that we got some Oliver and Felicity stuff. I was super not thrilled that not only did everyone know that they were going through some stuff in their marriage (don't judge me for being protective of my couple after I had to sit through an hour of let's bash Oliver last night) but that Oliver didn't tell Felicity what was going on and that she had to find out from Cisco and Caitlin. Her talk with Caitlin was also not helpful cause their marriage problems really weren't on her. It was Oliver who had a problem with what Felicity had to become and I was thrilled that he was the one to tell her what I expected to hear last week about how it's okay if Felicity was changing cause he was too and that their love would never fade so they just had to get to know the new versions of themselves. I'm hoping that this is honestly the end of their relationship problems for this season cause I really am not a fan of it.

Also can we take a minute to talk about how everyone tried to convince Felicity that Iris could "feel" that Barry was actually Oliver cause their love was so powerful? What a load of bullshit. She was all over Oliver thinking he was Barry and even threw them in jail when they tried to tell her that wasn't true. Of course she realized who Barry was when he told her something only they knew the same as Felicity when Oliver talked about their relationship problems. Ugh this is the reason why there's a fight in the Arrowverse about whether Oliver and Felicity or Barry and Iris are the better couple!

Tomorrow is the Supergirl portion of the crossover and I'm interested to see how the world has changed and whether Kara will remember or not since she's technically not from this Earth. I assume that real Clark will pop up at some point and maybe that means we'll get more Lois. I'd also love if Batwoman came back but I have a feeling she probably won't...

I'll see you all later tonight for my Legends review and then part 3 of the crossover tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment