Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Riverdale Season 3 Episode 8 Review

Every week I think that Riverdale could not possibly get more insane and yet every week it does and I love it. I struggled for a while to get into the mindset that after season 1 that this show was no longer a teen drama but has become this weird parody in which every adult is insane and the children rule. The midseason finale just happened and there was so much fun stuff.

Let's start with Jughead and Archie in Toledo where we finally meet Gladys and Jellybean. As much as I loved everything we got here (and it was defs my favorite part of the episode), I wish we had gotten more of them cause there's so many interesting things to unpack about the this side of the Jones' family. While I do think FP tries his hardest with Jughead and I have to remember there are rules with being a Serpent, half the time I feel like FP is a step away from abusing Jughead. I have enjoyed watching him go from an alcoholic to sober though during these three seasons and I wish we could get that from Gladys as well. Jughead mentions that he feels like Gladys abandoned him and she never really talks to him about that. She already refused to let him come to her in season 1 forcing him into foster care and it makes me wonder why she took JB with her but refuses to have anything to do with Jughead. It can't be that he's a Serpent cause he wasn't one until season 2 and it's not like she's living above board either. I also wish we'd gotten more of Jellybean because I'm interested in knowing what kind of person she is too. She seemed really excited to see Jughead and she seemed like a bit of a kid then but later she had no problem taking down Penny and she seemed super pissed with FP. I wonder if now that they're basically locked out of Riverdale if maybe they'll end up going back to Toledo to regroup so we can see more of the Joneses but I think that they'll probs just find a way to sneak into Riverdale cause I'm sure the whole border of Riverdale isn't secure.

Sidebar I loved that Gladys automatically assumed that Jughead and Archie were together now. It did lead to a really sad moment when Jughead and Archie said goodbye to each other cause they really are brothers and I still think it was so sweet of Jughead to drop everything and follow him cause Archie needed him. Also I loved that Fred was able to say goodbye to Archie and that he gave him Vegas. I wonder what storyline he'll get while he's outside of Riverdale. At the very least this season has shown us that our characters can survive when they're outside of Riverdale and apart so if our crew does end up graduating high school then we can still follow them.

Also I loved that Gladys found out about Penny hurting Jughead and I'm pretty sure she straight murdered her tonight. It was super badass.

Back in Riverdale at the Sisters we found out that Betty actually wasn't brainwashed like the others like we thought last week but was upping the ante by pretending even more. I loved that this happened cause I really didn't want her to go the Jughead route cause it was hard enough watching him spiral. I loved that she was able to sober up Ethyl and then was able to save herself through her own strength and bravery cause she didn't need anyone else to save her. I laughed out loud at the horrible costume she wore to be the Griffin Queen (which on what planet is the opposite of the Gargoyle King.) She also figured out what Hiram was doing and I'll get to that in a bit. I still think it's super weird that Veronica never found out where she was cause they're supposed to be best friends but the show did mention that Veronica thought Betty was at the Farm like Polly and Alice.

Veronica and Cheryl with a dash of Kevin and Reggie spent the episode figuring out what Hiram's evil plan was. Hiram bought up all of Southside to build a prison and strong-armed every man living in the towns outside of Riverdale to work in that prison where he's making Fizzle Rocks with Claudius Blossom and then testing it on the patients of the Sisters to figure out which dosages cause hallucinations and which cause seizures. He then gave it random people throughout the city and passed it off as a virus and then convinced (more likely bribed) the Governor into quarantining the city and not letting anyone in or out. See this is where things go completely insane for me. Prisons and bounties and being on the run as well as the Sisters I can buy but Hiram basically making Riverdale into Gotham during No Man's Land is where I draw the line! He was even planning on shutting down Riverdale High and I'm sitting here like so where are kids supposed to go to school now? And okay so he quarantined the city but that doesn't mean the government won't send the CDC to check on them. I was about to believe that since he owned the police force that he probably just blocked off the entrances and exits to Riverdale but after the call with the governor, now I'm not sure what's happening!

All that aside, I'm not complaining cause it makes for fan-freaking-tastic viewing. I'm curious to see what'll happen next and this season we have to be seeing the downfall of Hiram Lodge right? There's no way the show can continue with him just as Veronica's dad after he's done all this right? Last season they toed the line about what kind of person he was but now with the bounty on Archie and wanting to turn Riverdale into a city of sin, there's no way he can make it out okay! It will be sad in a sense cause he's such a fun villain and I've loved his slow 3 season build! I can't wait to see Betty and Jughead reunite and I'm low-key shipping Reggie and Veronica right now cause they have great chemistry and he's been there for in a way Archie hasn't!

Anyway that's all for now and I'll see you all Friday for my weekly drama thoughts!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment