Sunday, December 30, 2018

Top 10 TV Shows of 2018

Hi everyone! As promised, I'm back with my Top 10 Favorite TV Shows of 2018! Again, this list is based on my personal opinions and may have spoilers. There was a lot of great TV out this year so I'm going to start with some honorable mentions which has some shows that I binged this year but have ended and some shows that are still on air but that just missed the top 10 list! If you want a refresher, check out my Top 10 TV Shows of 2013, my Top 10 TV Shows of 2014, and my Top 10 TV Shows of 2015, Top 10 TV Shows of 2016 and Top 10 TV Shows of 2017 lists! Fair warning, there may be spoilers below so keep that in mind!


Up first are my honorable mentions: two shows that I loved but got cancelled!

Iron Fist

My first honorable mention is Iron Fist! The second season aired this summer and though I enjoyed season 1 more than most people did, I still wasn't the biggest fan of it. Season 2 however was everything and after the way it ended, I was really disappointed it got cancelled! Danny Rand is still the least interesting of the Marvel Netflix leads but his relationship with Colleen is the best Marvel Netflix romance and I adore all of the characters on this show from Ward who went from pain in the ass last season to one of my favorite characters this time to Davos who is a totally understandable villain to Colleen who is the most kickass and smart women on the show! I loved diving into the mythology of the Iron Fist more this season and I was really excited to learn more about Colleen's family and what happened to Danny that he got the Fist back. Unfortunately all those questions will never be answered unless you're into the comics.... Click here to see my season 1 review!

Daredevil

My second honorable mention is another Marvel Netflix show that got cancelled this year and that's Daredevil! This one hurt more that Iron Fist cause Daredevil has always been my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows and season 3 was great! I really loved the return to basics this season with Matt fighting Fisk again and the reconciliation of Matt, Karen and Foggy who are the core of this show. Foggy especially started to finally feel like a real lawyer with how smart his dialogue was and Karen was really fleshed out this season. I really enjoyed the episode in which we went back to learn about her past. I also loved the addition of Maggie as Matt's mom and Ray as the FBI agent who really lost out this season. The idea of Matt struggling with his faith and wondering what it was all for after everything he loss (cough Elektra cough) was everything and the ending of this season did have more of a bow on it than Iron Fist did but I'm still going to miss it. I also didn't love how we'll never get an answer to what happened to Elektra because not only do I love her as a character and as a love interest to Matt, her fate was left in the air! Click here to see some YouTube videos of them!


And now let's get into our Top 10!

Vikings

Coming in at number 10 is Vikings! Now I've been consistently watching this show since 2014 but other than in 2014 I haven't really had this show on my list cause unfortunately unlike most shows I watch, Vikings's strongest season was season 1 in my opinion and it's been consistently going downhill from there. After Ragnar died in season 4 and the show became about his sons, there was a fresh feel to this show which did reinvest my interest and I have been pretty into season 5 so far cause I've really enjoyed the war between brothers. I'm really into Ivar as a villain though he seems to be losing his mind more recently and Alfred as a king who's really coming into his own and Heahmund as this antihero who looks out for himself but also really loves Lagertha (or so it seems cause he's so hard to read.) Unfortunately Lagertha and Bjorn have been shuffled off to the side it feels cause neither have had anything really to do other than sleep with others which is annoying cause they've been my favorites for a while now! Here's hoping we'll get more later this season which is currently airing! Click here to see some YouTube videos.

The Flash

At number 9 is The Flash! This show has never been my favorite of the Arrowverse cause I'm not a huge Barry Allen fan but my enjoyment of the show goes up and down. Last season was pretty good but I was really annoyed with how much screen-time Ralph Dibny got cause he was the worst but I really enjoyed Thinker as a villain. This season I've been kind of on the fence about how I feel cause though I've definitely enjoyed Ralph a lot more who went from this creep to a more comedic and kind character, I haven't really been a fan of the villain this year even if I like the idea of him being able to take away meta powers. I was also pretty into the idea of Nora coming back from the future but as the episodes went on she started to get less fun and more annoying and the show suddenly became The Westallen Family Starring The Flash show. I do suppose the more you enjoy them the more you'd enjoy this season but I've never been a huge fan of Iris and Barry so I'm pretty meh about it. The Flash will be back January 15th on CW! Click here to see more in-depth reviews and here to see YouTube videos!

Shadowhunters

Coming in at number 8 is Shadowhunters! I've always been a huge fan of the City of Bones book series and so I've always wanted to love the adaptations of the books whether that's the movie or this show and though season 1 of this show was real bad, season 2 was much better and so far season 3 hasn't been half bad! City of Fallen Angels was adapted for the first half and I assume since the show was cancelled that the rest of season 3 will be mostly City of Heavenly Fire with a touch of City of Lost Souls. I can't wait to see how this will be adapted though I have less of a stake in it since the first three books are my favorites which could mean that I'll enjoy the season more. I've been loving the way Jace and Clary's relationship has played out so far as well as the strong bond between the Lightwoods and Jace so I hope we get more of that not to mention Alec and Magnus! I wonder if the show will end Simon's arc the way it did in the books and I feel like we might get a hint of him and Izzy since there hasn't been enough legwork done to actually get them together now when we get back February 25th on Freeform! Click here to see some YouTube videos.

Gotham

At number 7 is Gotham! This is another one of those shows that have never gotten to be on my top 10 list before but I've been watching since it first aired back in 2014! The first season was rough but once the show gotten into it's second season and embraced the craziness that is the Batman Rogue's Gallery, the show picked up and has been so much ever since! We're about to go into it's final season and I'm sad cause I've enjoyed this show so much. I love all the characters (both the villains and the heroes) and the plot each season and how each season the city gets crazier and crazier showing us why the GCPD isn't enough and why we need someone like Batman! Baby Bruce is everything and I love his dynamic with Baby Selina and their relationship is super precious and very back and forth like Batman/Catwoman is. Lee and Jim are great too and I love that they'll always love each other more than anyone else even if they're not together. I've loved how last season the Sirens have taken over one part of the city, Lee and Riddler another and Penguin was off on his own and I can't wait to see what No Man's Land in Gotham looks like when it returns January 3rd on FOX. Click here to see some YouTube videos and here to see longer reviews!

Agents Of SHIELD

Coming in at number 6 is Agents Of SHIELD! What a surprise to see this show so low right? It's been either 1 or 2 for the past 4 years but I really wasn't a huge fan of season 5 and I personally felt the quality dropped a lot. There were episodes that stood as being really fun specifically the Fitz and Hunter escapade on Earth. I think a lot of it was because Fitz has always been my favorite character on the show and this past season they pretty much made him a monster by telling us that Framework Fitz was just another part of Fitz and I really didn't like how they broke up the Bus Kids (aka Daisy/Skye, Fitz and Simmons) but I could have gotten past this if the story was better but after the first half in space, the second half was just not great in my opinion cause I really didn't care about Ruby and I was pretty disappointed in their 100th episode. I am super curious about what season 6 will look like with Coulson leaving the show and I'm still waiting for at least Hunter to come back cause Bobbi is busy on another show! Agents of SHIELD will be back in July on ABC! Anyway click here to see some YouTube videos and here to see longer reviews!

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

At number 5 is The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina! This is a new show both on my top 10 list and in actuality. I loved the Sabrina the Teenage Witch show when I was younger and I'm really into Riverdale so I was excited to see what this show would do and I found that I loved this show so much! It was crazy in a fun way and dark in a wow is this okay kind of way? I loved how witches were portrayed in this show as basically the version that sold their souls to Satan to get their powers but it was done in a way where it didn't feel like a huge immoral thing as it probably should be. I loved that the plot of season 1 was that Sabrina wasn't sure if she wanted to give her soul to Satan and that the villain was so cunning and manipulative that she sort of convinced Sabrina that it was ultimately her idea to do so. I loved all the members of the Spellman family including the new addition of Ambrose and though I didn't like Zelda at first, she was so protective of Sabrina that I couldn't help but grow to love her too. Sabrina's relationship with Harvey was so sweet and Ross Lynch's Harvey was one of the most loving and supportive boyfriends I've ever seen on tv! The only downside of this show was Sabrina's two girl friends who I thought were super annoying and could have done without!

Riverdale

Coming in at number 4 is Riverdale! This is one of my favorite shows on air and it's one that you need to watch with your brain turned off. During season 2 I started to realize how insane the plots were and how none of the characters or their parents acted like they were in high school and once I noticed that I was able to turn off the part of my brain that was like 'that makes no sense' and just enjoy the crazy ride. Betty and Jughead are still my favorite characters and their relationship is still the best on the show. Archie is a moron but once you decide that yes every decision he makes is in fact idiotic, it's much more enjoyable and Veronica is alright though I'm not a huge fan of her relationship with Archie cause I feel like they have no chemistry which is why a possible thing with Reggie is everything to me. I'm also not a huge fan of Cheryl but since she's not one of the core 4, we do see less of her. I'm not so into the Gargoyle King this season but I love Hiram being such a mob boss! Riverdale will be back January 16th on CW! Click here to see some YouTube videos and here to see longer reviews!

 
Arrow

At number 3 is Arrow! Of course this is in the top 5 of my top 10 list cause Arrow is my baby and no matter how bad it gets, I'm still along for the ride and trust me it got reeeeal bad the second half of season 6 but it's gotten much better during the first half of season 7. I really disliked the OTA v NTA fight last season because not only were both sides wrong but it didn't make anyone look good! I was exhausted being told every week that NTA didn't trust Oliver and they wouldn't go back so when that season ended, it was a breath of fresh air. I did of course love the marriage of Oliver and Felicity and the little family they made with William which was the only saving grace! Unfortunately while a lot was fixed this season, they got rid of William which is kinda sad! I have been enjoying this season so far cause as much as I didn't really care for Oliver in prison, I loved the refocus of the show on Oliver and Felicity as characters doing their own thing but going on similar journeys and the way Team Arrow was split up so everyone had something to do. I'm super into the idea of Oliver as the Green Arrow working with the police and I hope that Felicity gets to build Smoak Tech and Diggle, Lyla and ARGUS work on their own thing but end up leading back to whatever Oliver is working on! Arrow will be back January 21st on CW! Click here to see some YouTube videos and here to see longer reviews!

Legends Of Tomorrow

Coming in at number 2 is Legends Of Tomorrow! This is definitely my favorite of the Arrowverse shows because no matter how insane and kooky the show gets, the writing never falters, the characters never lose themselves and the plot is always exciting. I love how it showcases some of the best LGBTQ relationships on tv and how they're treated like any straight relationship. I love how strong and smart and independent the women are and how they are all such capable leaders. I love the dynamics between all the characters both on the Time Rider and in the Bureau! I love the crazy plans and the comedic writing and the magical creatures this season! Everything about this show is perfection and I really would be hard-pressed to find something I dislike about this show! I really loved Wally popping up last season but it's really unfortunate that he left the Arrowverse cause I felt like this show really allowed him to shine! I'm a huge fan of Zari and Sara and Constantine right now and the only person I don't really understand or need is Charlie but hopefully she'll grow on me when the show returns in April on CW! Click here to see some YouTube videos and here to see longer reviews!

The Magicians

And now my number 1 show of 2018 is The Magicians!! What a crazy jump from the number 8 spot it was in last year but what can I say? I adore this show! As you can probably guess based on this list, I've been waaay into shows that are insane and crazy this year cause they're so much fun to watch! I love how every new episode of this show is so unexpected and leads you to new places that you never would have guessed. It's like Harry Potter meets The Chronicles Of Narnia but with hilarious hijinks and a group of misfit characters who are trying their damndest but screw up every time. I love that sometimes the show digs down deep into dark themes like slavery and sexual assault but other times it has musical episodes and sloths giving love advice! It has everything you could possibly want in a show plus a wide range of diverse characters of different genders, races, personality and sexual preferences! I loved that last season was all about trying to get magic back after the crew screwed up and got magic turned off only to unleash a monster into the world and have their memories wiped! I'm super excited to get back into this world on January 23rd on Syfy! Click here to see some YouTube videos of them!


And with that another top 10 list has been concluded! I'll see you all tomorrow for my top 10 Asian dramas list and make sure you look back on my top 10 lists of previous years!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment