Friday, December 14, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Dae Jang Geum is Watching (9/16): This food-oriented drama imagines how the descendants of the famous Joseon woman doctor and alleged culinary genius Jang Geum (the subject of the famous sageuk Dae Jang Geum) might live today if they inherited some of her talents. San Hae has been gifted with an excellent sense of taste which has mad him a huge fan and connoisseur of food. His younger sister Jin Mi has been gifted with an exceptional sense of smell, and their younger brother Jung Shik has such excellent cooking skills he has his own Youtube vlog channel. The story follows San Hae at his work and his relationship with a rookie employee at his company, a woman named Bok Seung Ah.

It's really so sad that this show only releases one episode a week cause it doesn't feel like enough especially since like half the episode is spent on food recipes and gushing about how great the food is. Like at first I thought they were funny but now I'm like can we skip this stuff cause I'm not watching this show to learn how to cook recipes! I'm still loving San Hae and Seung Ah but I'm still a bit annoyed with this hard-to-get thing that he's doing and I'm starting to wonder if both San Hae and Jung Shik are just morons cause Seung Ah's emotions play right on her face and it's so clear what she's feeling so it's like why are they confused?? San Hae spent the entire lunch catching up with his ex and though she didn't know the ex was married, why wouldn't Seung Ah be upset by this? Jung Shik finds Seung Ah sad and depressed and she talks about his brother meeting his ex and only cheers up when he mentions that the ex is married! Guys get a clue. I'm a little surprised the show decided to have Jung Shik tell San Hae about his crush rather than having Jung Shik figure out that Seung Ah and his brother have a thing and I'm really hoping that San Hae doesn't decide to back off for his brother's sake in some sort of noble idiocy thing cause Seung Ah likes him not his brother so backing off would do nothing but make 3 people unhappy. We're nearing the end of this show and I'm surprised at how slowly Jin Mi's relationship with Min Hyuk is moving. I do think he knows he likes her and I think she does too but doesn't know it so hopefully by being set up with another guy, it'll click for her and then they can get together!
Fate And Furies (8/40): Even though Goo Hae Ra is smart and beautiful, she is in a miserable situation because of her family. Her older sister attempted suicide and her father passed away. The only way she can escape her situation is with money. She approaches Tae In Joon. He is the second son of a shoe company owner. Tae In Joon falls in love with Goo Hae Ra.

Honestly guys I'm living for this show for one reason and one reason only and that's Hae Ra and what a cunning seductive talented character she is! So many times female characters are put in this small box and they can't have more characteristics than bubbly and warm and though I mostly like that in female characters, it gets a little boring seeing the same naive or clumsy girls that are terrible at their jobs over and over again. It also doesn't help that I'm pretty sure that kind of behavior would not only get you fired from your job but no guy would be interested in that no matter what dramas try to tell you! I love that Hae Ra puts up with no shit and in fact is stirring up the drama herself cause she wants to while also being kind at her core only to hide it because life has dealt her a terrible hand. I was surprised at how quickly In Joon is into her last week and though our main couple didn't kiss this week, he's still falling fast but I do feel like it's more of an interest than true feelings right now cause she reminds him of his mom while also being gorgeous and talented and elegant! It's kind of crazy cause if you put her next to any of the rich women of this show, she's got more class than all of them put together! I was also really surprised at how quickly she was found out by In Joon's fiancee but I don't know what it'll really do for her cause Soo Hyun can't take that evidence to In Joon cause then she'd have to reveal her past with Tae Oh and that would ruin things for her too. Speaking of, I thought Tae Oh would be a fun partner for Hae Ra but he seems to be just as bad as Soo Hyun (though in a different way) and is around just to be annoying it seems. Hae Ra says she's working on it so like back the hell off and let her do her thing! Rome wasn't built in a day and it seems ridiculous to expect Hae Ra to seduce In Joon in like a week and cause him to leave his fiancee!
FINISHED Hymn of Death (6/6): Kim Woo Jin is a stage drama writer while Korea is under Japanese occupation. He is married, but he falls in love with Yun Shim Deok. Shim Deok is the first Korean soprano. She records the song “Praise of Death” which becomes the first Korean pop song in 1926. Woo Jin and Shim Deok's fate ends tragically.

I was excited to check out this drama cause I'm such a sucker for tragedies and I was hoping that since this show was set in the 20s that it would be similar to Chicago Typewriter. It did not disappoint. I fell in love with this world and the beautifully tragic story of Woo Jin and Shim Deok. It made me cry so many times and I found the ending to be perfectly poetic no matter how much I wished that these two could have lived happily ever after. Sometimes the best love stories end tragically and though I was a little thrown by how these two decided to commit suicide, the way the show portrayed their reasoning, it made enough sense for my heart to break for them. I do blame Woo Jin for being a bit of an ass in the beginning for not telling poor Shim Deok that he was married and I'm usually not a fan of affairs or cheating but something about this show made their affair so beautiful. Maybe it's because neither truly acted on it physically until the very end or maybe it's because they both tried so hard to stay away and move on but couldn't. Whatever the reason may be, it was so clear on screen that these two could not live without the other and were only able to breathe when they were together and I found something so magical about it. They were artists born in the wrong era and it was their art that brought them together over and over again. I'd definitely give this drama a 8.5 / 10! You have to check it out if you love tragic romances or period pieces!
Memories of the Alhambra (4/16): Strong spirited Yoo Jin Woo is the CEO of an investment company with a degree in engineering and a knack for developing video games. He has an adventurous and competitive spirit. Suffering after his best friend betrays him, he takes a business trip to Granada, Spain in search of the mysterious inventor of an innovative augmented-reality video game. He ends up at a hostel that Jung Hee Joo owns. Hee Joo is a former classical guitarist who came to Spain to further her studies. After the death of her parents, she takes on various jobs to support herself, including running the old hostel. They are both drawn into a series of strange and unexpected events.

I'm starting to enjoy this show a lot more after this week. Jin Woo is such a fascinating character cause he's kind of an asshole but at the same time he's not exactly a villain cause though he bought Hee Joo's hostel under false pretenses, he didn't scam her by underpaying but gave her the same amount (10 billion won which is roughly 8 million dollars) Mr Cha was going to pay her brother to get the rights to the game. If he was true asshole, then he would have paid market value for the hostel (a little less than 1 billion won) so when Hee Joo finds out that he bought her property for the video game patent, at least he won't be irredeemable (you know minus the lying part.) In all honestly it's probs going to be Jin Woo who ends up losing cause after this week I'm sure there's a glitch in the game where it's killing people in real life so the game will either have to be completely rewritten or Jin Woo just lost a shit ton of money and maybe even his life. At the very least it's a good thing he's learning the flaws in the game before it's out to the public cause it would be a PR nightmare if it got out. I kept waiting this week for the other shoe to drop cause it felt too clean for Jin Woo to have gotten the rights to the game he wanted and Hee Joo the money she needed but even though I was ready for the surprise death of Mr Cha, I was still surprised he died so quickly cause I really did think he would be the villain in this show. With his death we're now out a villain and that just makes me wonder where we'll be going from here though I'm guessing that maybe the video game itself with be the villain. On another note, I was into the romance more this week cause I love how mesmerized Jin Woo was with the Hee Joo in the game playing the guitar and she's clearly into him already so it'll be a fun time to see them together! It's kinda funny though how Hee Joo's charm and overall goodness is just disarming Jin Woo completely cause you can see his overwhelming guilt every time he uses her trusting nature in his favor.
Sky Castle (6/16): The satirical comedy takes place in a four-story apartment building in the suburbs of Seoul inhabited by a number of professionals: doctors, judges, prosecutors, professors, and their wives. The wives are from prestigious and highly educated backgrounds, and part of the plot will feature their efforts to get their children admitted into universities. Some grew up in families with multiple generations of doctors or lawyers, and their ambitions will be depicted with realism and comedy.

Let's all take a moment and give all the props to the twins' mother who I started the show thinking was probably the best of the moms and that she was possibly being abused by her husband and though the jury is still out about her husband, her love for her sons has caused her to finally put her foot down and I was cheering the entire time! She destroyed the study room, destroyed his control over the kids and is taking over their studies while also getting revenge at her asshole husband who tried to control her by destroying her money by refusing to take care of him to prove to him that being a wife is a job too. I will never understand why these women marry these terrible men but I understand that divorce is usually looked down on so I'm all for her getting the power she wants in the position she's in. I'm less into Soo Im this week cause I feel like she's way too involved in the other families' lives. Like on one hand I get why she feels like she needs to step in but her job is to warn the moms of problems not try to solve them herself cause it's seriously none of her business. My worry about her family being destroyed by the others isn't exactly coming true but I do hope that she dials it back a little. Seo Jin is still crazy but honestly props to her for having her hand in every pie and juggling it all even if I don't agree with her. I'm also kind of glad that Woo Joo isn't into Ye Seo cause she is an asshole in her own way but I also don't know whether Hye Na is using Woo Joo or not and I just want the boy to be happy!
The Last Empress (16/52): Set in an alternate universe, in which Korea is a constitutional monarchy in 2018, Oh Sunny is a bright and vivacious musical actress who marries the emperor. She becomes involved in the palace power struggle and a mysterious murder that sets off events that threaten the monarchy itself, while searching for true love and happiness. But, she ends up falling in love with Na Wang Sik who works as a bodyguard for the imperial family. He started working in the palace to take revenge on the person responsible for his mother’s death.

What an intense four episodes this week! I really did not see Wang Sik/Woo Bin betraying Sunny like that though in hindsight I probs should have known cause he's got revenge blinders on and feeling pity for some girl isn't enough to move him from his evil plan. But the fact that he's ultimately still helping her makes me feel better about it especially since now Sunny has a suspicion that he might be against the Emperor too. I also liked the reveal that the old Empress might have been murdered though probs not by the Emperor cause it feels like he did truly love her and that the man who saved Wang Sik/Woo Bin was her father. I really want them all to take a moment and sit down and talk cause they have so much in common and they could use each other's help! A real plan would be super beneficial rather than flying around by the seat of their pants. Even Ari's secret birth came out and it turns out she's just as much of a devious player as the rest of the palace and I really didn't see it coming that the nanny/mom was also trying to rule by sleeping with the prime minister (though girl the PM clearly has like no influence so you've been barking up the wrong tree.) Literally everyone wants to rule and I'm just sitting here like it's not worth it you assholes. Grandmother was also murdered this week and honestly I'm not surprised cause she was the only one who was on Sunny's side and had a conscience. Honestly a part of me is pissed at Sunny cause though she had a lot of badass moments this week (following a whole moronic arc where she saw the Emperor kissing Yu Ra and then overheard them giggling about how they are playing her but that was still not enough proof for her), it would have been so much smarter to play the long con like Wang Sik/Woo Bin and pretend not to know anything while building up power and influence. She was literally the second most powerful woman in Korea and she tossed it aside cause she was angry? Get a grip please. I'm sure that they'll try to blame Grandma's death on Sunny too cause why not but I'm glad that the Crown Prince is with Sunny's family cause he needs to know what kind of person Sunny is and I'm still sure he's going to end up as Emperor with Sunny's sister as Empress so it never hurts to have him on our side.
FINISHED Top Management (16/16): Top Management is a web drama based on an internet novel. It tells the story of a new manager at an entertainment agency who uses her ability to see the future to succeed in the industry.

If you know me, then you know how much I love shows about music and the entertainment industry and if there's romance mixed in, how can I resist? I went into this show hoping that we'd get something like Idolmaster KR and to my surprise, though it wasn't as fun, there was plenty to love and there actually was romance in this! This show actually felt a lot like a Japanese anime about idols with the whole plot being about getting a boy band to debut with a klutzy but pretty manager with whom some of the band members fell for. This is no way a negative cause I adore those kind of shows so I was super down with this one. All the music was great and the whole cast was adorable. I really enjoyed the romance between Eun Sung and Soo Yong and that they were basically the same age cause that made the whole manager/client romance work so much more than in shows where there's a huge age gap. I did wish that Eun Sung was able to show off her idol training a bit more cause it was so different to have a manager who was an ex-trainee cause there are so many fun stories to tell with that but unfortunately we didn't go that way. For a while I thought maybe she might even end the show as an idol herself but I also like the idea that she became a badass manager too. The ending was vague and left open cause I think there's a second season of this show coming (which yes please!) but if there isn't, I do like the idea that the members of SOUL will probs join Eun Sung and Director Kang at their new entertainment company and I like to imagine that Eun Sung and Soo Yong end up together in the end. I'd give this show a 9.5 / 10!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment