Friday, December 7, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Hey guys! I'm sorry that I skipped last week but I wasn't able to watch any dramas cause I may or may not have got obsessed with Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir so pretty much all my free time went to catching up on two seasons of that show. That meant that I missed all of the new dramas that came out but I tried to catch up on a bunch this week. So here goes with what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Dae Jang Geum is Watching (8/16): This food-oriented drama imagines how the descendants of the famous Joseon woman doctor and alleged culinary genius Jang Geum (the subject of the famous sageuk Dae Jang Geum) might live today if they inherited some of her talents. San Hae has been gifted with an excellent sense of taste which has mad him a huge fan and connoisseur of food. His younger sister Jin Mi has been gifted with an exceptional sense of smell, and their younger brother Jung Shik has such excellent cooking skills he has his own Youtube vlog channel. The story follows San Hae at his work and his relationship with a rookie employee at his company, a woman named Bok Seung Ah.

I have this thing where 90% of the time I feel nothing but this vicious amusement towards the second male lead for not being able to read situations correctly which you know might be terribly mean of me but that's what happens when you have your head off in the clouds. That's pretty much a roundabout way of me saying exactly how I feel here about poor dumbass Jung Shik who doesn't know that Seung Ah is head over heels for his brother and that his brother feels the same way. I understand that neither of the two are being open about their feelings so it's like how would he know but also she really hasn't given him any signs that she's into him either other than being friendly. I think part of this vicious amusement towards second male leads is cause they always just seem to have this idea that just cause a girl is nice that he deserves her affection. I wasn't sure at first how I felt about the main couple but as the show goes on, I'm liking San Hae and Seung Ah together. It's still one of my least favorite troupes when one of the couple (usually the guy) tries to hide their feelings when they know how the other feels. It never makes sense cause it's unlike if you're both single and adults, why play these weird games? You're not fooling anyone! My favorite couple though is still Jin Mi and Min Hyuk who are the most adorable and I kinda love how head over heels he is for her!
Fate And Furies (4/40): Even though Goo Hae Ra is smart and beautiful, she is in a miserable situation because of her family. Her older sister attempted suicide and her father passed away. The only way she can escape her situation is with money. She approaches Tae In Joon. He is the second son of a shoe company owner. Tae In Joon falls in love with Goo Hae Ra.

I started this show expecting not to like it since melodramas have never been my cup of tea cause they're always so cheesy and cliche with heroines who are complete pushovers but then I started to hear all about how amazing this show was and I finally decided to give it a shot and wow what a crazy four episodes! I am in love with this world already and I adore how badass Hae Ra is! Not only is she gorgeous but she's elegant and cunning and pretty much kills at everything! I am curious though about why Hae Ra didn't join a company like Gold Shoes on her own thing cause I know her circumstances are about the same as most kdrama leads (dead parents and a mountain of debt) but she's well educated and an amazing designer not to mention her father was as well so it's weird that she was struggling to make ends meet so much... It's also an interesting twist to have her actually be ambitious and actually set out to seduce the rich guy simply cause she wants money unlike in most dramas where the female lead kinda falls into it by falling for the rich guy. This show reminds me a lot of The Great Seducer which I'm down with cause I did enjoy that show! I'm already feeling so terrible for In Joon who really has no idea that everyone's out for him and just wants to do well at his job but honestly that boy fell for Hae Ra really fast so is he technically at fault too? I can clearly tell the story is going to go like she seduces him and he falls in love with her and then she falls in love with him but then he finds out she was using him and then shit hits the fan but the chemistry between are leads is so intense that the predicability doesn't bother me! I also think I really like the fact that the rich family problems took a backseat right now not only so we can get to know our couple without that eye rolling nonsense but also cause they will probs not be the main obstacle in the path of the main couple. This might be my favorite new drama!
DROPPED Fluttering Warning (11/16): A dermatologist, Cha Woo Hyun is extremely popular with women, but he doesn’t have much interest in dating. Yoon Yo Jung is a famous actress, who hasn’t been able to date another man since rumors started to spread 15 years ago. By mere coincidence, they decide to establish a contract in which they decide to “pretend” to others that they are dating and in love with each other.

It's actually kind of sad that it's come to this because I had been enjoying this show up to recently where suddenly the show switched paces immediately. Everything that I liked about this show was basically negated and all the terrible parts jumped to the forefront as well as the not go great parts of each character. Up to that point I was on cloud nine with this show and how adorably precious it was. I thought the show managed to hit the perfect spot of adorably fluffy and super romantic with amazing real compassionate characters all the while without feeling boring or like nothing's happening. I adored how cute Woo Hyun and Yo Jung's relationship was without it feeling overly cheesy and how both are just honestly good people who don't play games with their feelings. I wasn't even minding the whole rich people ruin everything trope as much as I normally do then episode 10 and 11 happened and now I'm utterly annoyed by everything. For once I wish that the evil rich people would make a plan that would actually make sense! In what universe would they think that announcing an engagement to the public would be enough to get Woo Hyun to do whatever they want? All he has to do is go out to the public and say that he loves Yo Jung and they're threatening him with destroying her and the only way they will stop is if he marries the rich girl and takes over the company. It's completely ridiculous. I also don't understand the breakup Yo Jung and Woo Hyun had cause on the one hand I do blame Woo Hyun cause I've been saying for weeks that he needs to tell them about his father but on the other hand she stopped him from telling her the truth the night before it came out so she can't blame him entirely! And seriously they're all worried about themselves and they're not thinking for a second about how Woo Hyun is just as much of a victim as all of them! My other question is why can't Woo Hyun go to his father and be like yo I'll take over the company if I don't have to marry rich bitch like he threatened and then once he has control over the company, give it to his brother or someone else. Once the father passes it on to Woo Hyun, he has no more say in what happens. And seriously can we take a moment to think about how terrible an idea that is on the father's part? Woo Hyun has never shown any interest in running a company so what makes the father think that if he forces his son to take it over, it'll turn out the way he's hoping? It was all too much for me and I fast-forwarded through most of it leading me to decide to drop this show cause I just couldn't sit through it anymore!
Memories of the Alhambra (2/16): Strong spirited Yoo Jin Woo is the CEO of an investment company with a degree in engineering and a knack for developing video games. He has an adventurous and competitive spirit. Suffering after his best friend betrays him, he takes a business trip to Granada, Spain in search of the mysterious inventor of an innovative augmented-reality video game. He ends up at a hostel that Jung Hee Joo owns. Hee Joo is a former classical guitarist who came to Spain to further her studies. After the death of her parents, she takes on various jobs to support herself, including running the old hostel. They are both drawn into a series of strange and unexpected events.

I had been wanting to check this show out since I heard about it a couple of months ago cause it was supposed to be THE drama of 2018 as in the one that everyone was talking about and that everyone expected to be the best of the year so I hopped into this with high hopes and so far I'm kinda indifferent. There's nothing terrible about this show but nothing stands out either. The first thing I noticed right away was just how large of a budget this show had which made watching this show a pleasure. It gives me a little bit of The Package mixed in with Sword Art Online vibes and I'm pretty fascinated with the concept. I had pretty much no idea that the show would be about a video game and though as of now that's my least favorite part, I can see it getting better as the show goes on. I'm also not the hugest fan of Jin Woo as a character so far cause he's pretty much the typical asshole male lead but I like that he's a charismatic asshole not just a rude one like most cold male leads are and I'm fascinated by the world enough that I can ignore him being an ass. I do like Hee Joo so far though and I'm really hoping that she learns the truth earlier rather than later cause I don't entirely understand why Jin Woo didn't go and tell her the truth about wanting to invest in her brother's game instead of making up lies to manipulate her. Not only does it seem like it would have been the smarter option in the long run but I'm hoping that with her learning the truth that she'll play a bigger role in the show and maybe even kick ass in the video game. I also was pretty into the year skip at the end of the second episode and I wonder if we'll be seeing both time periods รก la Circle Two Worlds or if we'll have like half the show in the present and half in the future. I'm also curious about what happened to the programmer brother who straight up vanished and I wonder if there's a glitch or something in the game that makes it so the longer you play, the more immersed you get and the more immersed you get, the more you actually feel pain.
Sky Castle (4/16): The satirical comedy takes place in a four-story apartment building in the suburbs of Seoul inhabited by a number of professionals: doctors, judges, prosecutors, professors, and their wives. The wives are from prestigious and highly educated backgrounds, and part of the plot will feature their efforts to get their children admitted into universities. Some grew up in families with multiple generations of doctors or lawyers, and their ambitions will be depicted with realism and comedy.

Guys let me start by saying I'm hate watching this show. I despise the premise so much and so much irritates me about this show but I'm watching it hoping that by the end everything will fall apart for all these terrible people. This show is literally all about a bunch of over-involved parents who literally think children are useless unless they are at the top of their class and as though what college a kid gets into is a way to brag about themselves. My mother was like that and one thing tv shows and movies don't show you is how awful that makes you feel about yourself and how much it makes you despise your parent. Young Jae's mother was literally preventing him from sleeping if he did poorly and the poor twins' father is locking them up like animals to get them to do what he wants. I don't have anything against students who want to work hard and do well like Yeh Suh and I don't think there's anything wrong with extra classes and college advisors but it's not okay if a parent is forcing all that on a child if they don't want to do it themselves!!! And don't even get me started on that horrifically creepy Coach Kim. I'm pretty certain that there's something wrong with her based on how thrilled she seemed with everything that's happening and that she's got like surveillance cameras in Young Tae's house where Woo Joo and his family lives but I'm hoping that since she got so offended by Yeh Suh's mom trying to bribe her that she does have a moral code underneath all that. The only reason I'm sticking around is that I fell in love with the new family that moved in. I want Woo Joo to kick major ass and do extremely well cause he seems to have the only happy family that love him for him. I love that Soo Im isn't his real mom but Woo Joo loves her to pieces all the same and that she doesn't pressure him one bit over anything he does but I'm worried that their perfect little family will be sucked into all this drama and will end the show just as big of hot messes as the others cause that'll be really sad. I just want each of them to succeed in whatever they set out to do and maybe even convert others along the way like the twins' mom who already seems to have had it with her husband's parenting style.
The Last Empress (12/52): Set in an alternate universe, in which Korea is a constitutional monarchy in 2018, Oh Sunny is a bright and vivacious musical actress who marries the emperor. She becomes involved in the palace power struggle and a mysterious murder that sets off events that threaten the monarchy itself, while searching for true love and happiness. But, she ends up falling in love with Na Wang Sik who works as a bodyguard for the imperial family. He started working in the palace to take revenge on the person responsible for his mother’s death.

I was really looking forward to this drama cause not only do I love stories about modern royalty but I really loved Choi Jin Hyuk in Devilish Joy (even if that show wasn't great in my opinion) so I was curious to see what this show would be like. Honestly I started out with mix feelings towards this show cause I was expecting something much different than what we ended up getting but once I got past that, I've been enjoying each episode more and more. I was a bit disappointed to find that everyone was wearing costumes rather than fancy dresses and that it wasn't really doing anything to differentiate itself from any other historical drama but I'm actually kinda loving how fast the plot is moving. It's only episode 12 and not only does Wang Sik/Woo Bin know about Yu Ra sleeping with the Emperor and being involved in his mother's death, but so does Sunny! I was counting down the moments until they both found out cause now the real revenge story can begin and I was just feeling so bad for poor Sunny who'd been tossed into this mess and had no idea that the Emperor actually despises her and is in love with Yu Ra. I really want her to take this betrayal and instead of losing it on him in anger, going Wang Sik/Woo Bin's route and getting revenge on them by becoming more elegant and cunning. I would love it if the flash forward ends up showing us that it was Yu Ra who died with the necklace on instead of Sunny so that the world thinks that the Emperor murdered his wife making him live a much more miserable life than death with his lover gone and in jail while Sunny and Wang Sik/Woo Bin go off and be happy. It was super sweet how he took care of her hurt ankle and tried to shield her from seeing her husband with another woman cause it's clear to him that she's just as much of a victim as he is and I'm so down with their love story which is funny cause when I first read the synopsis I rolled my eyes since I do love arranged marriages turning into real love but since pretty much everyone is terrible except for the grandmother, I'm good with the affair! I'm not super into Sunny's younger sister and the romance she's probably going to have with the other prince right now but I guess it's there so that someone with humanity is around to take the Emperor's place after all the revenge is had.
FINISHED When Time Stopped (12/12): A man who can stop time meets a woman unaffected by time. Moon Joon Woo is a seemingly-ordinary person, except for the fact that he can stop time. His special ability makes him lonely and he finds no meaning in life. When he needs somewhere to live, he moves into a basement owned by the building owner, Kim Sun Ah. Kim Sun Ah is a hard-working, financially struggling girl who appears to have much joy in her life, but in fact struggles to pay off her father's debt. Joon Woo finds that when he stops time, Sun Ah is not affected and continues to walk amongst a time-stopped world. With bubbly Sun Ah by his side, can the lonely Joon Woo begin to find the meaning of his existence?

Like I said last week I really loved the idea of this show and I really love what it turned out to be but my problem was with the execution! I was so so confused for 90% of the show and then only in the final episode did we finally learn the rules of the world and what was going on! Joon Woo being a Reaper who fell in love with Sun Ah as a human only to watch her die and then get his memory wiped so he could wait for her to be reincarnated was super precious and you know how romantic I think reincarnated lovers are but I wish we had known this a little earlier on! Not only does it gives Joon Woo a ton more depth but it gives us more reason to adore this couple! We also learned that empowered people don't reincarnate unless they become Reapers and work off the sin of having powers and that once they capture enough empowered people, then they can reincarnate. I was so confused in episode 11 cause we didn't know this about humans and Reapers and I still am not 100% sure I'm understanding what happened cause it seemed super weird that the new God cared so much about destroying Joon Woo and Sun Ah since Joon Woo only had the powers in the first place cause the old God gave them to him and I still don't entirely understand if Joon Woo finished up his Reaper term and then became human or if he just left with the old God when he retired and he's only human cause no one higher up knew. I also wish that we had spent less time dealing with human problems in the beginning cause it seems like a whole other show back then that really added nothing to the plot ultimately! It was super cute though that Joon Woo and Sun Ah's love was so strong that it defied the Gods and that they managed to find each other over and over again no matter the circumstances! Overall I'd give this show a 8 / 10 and I'm not really sure I'd recommend it cause of how confusing it was so unless you can watch shows without needing to understand why things are happening, this show is probably not for you.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment