Thursday, January 3, 2019

Gotham Season 5 Episode 1 Review

What an intense premiere! Gotham has always been one of my favorite shows on tv and I was super pumped for it to be back and honestly after watching this episode, I'm just so sad that this will be our last season! It always surprises me that more people don't love this show cause as long as you let your brain shut down a bit and enjoy the show for what it is without harping on Batman lore, you'll love it! As per usual, I'm going to break up this per storyline.

First let's start with the stuff that broke my heart the most and that was Selina and Bruce. I really thought last season that Bruce was leaving Selina to stay in Gotham despite her wishes for him to stay by her side which is why I was a little worried going into this episode (since you know how much I adore these two.) To my surprise it turned out that Selina and Alfred and Bruce all stayed in Gotham and I loved loved loved how much Bruce worried about her all episode. It was heartbreaking seeing how much Selina was in pain and how she preferred to die than be paralyzed and how Bruce tried everything to help her from being there emotionally and physically to even risking everything to fly in medicine for her. I loved that he ended up deciding to go visit that witch in the end cause of how desperate he was and how he wanted nothing more than her for to be okay. I also loved that he had no problem talking about Selina and how worried he was for her with Jim. It was also sad seeing Selina blame Bruce for what happened but I'm sure that was just the pain talking and that once she regains her ability to walk that she'll apologize for her mean words.

I kind of love that Gotham has been broken up into multiple sections all of which are ruled by different people: The GCPD, Barbara and Tabby, Scarecrow (which who the hell cares about ugh), and Penguin. I loved the weird world we're in where the US has basically decided to give zero shits about Gotham and let everyone die and that everyone's fighting for food cause there are shortages. Jim and Harvey and Lucius spent most of the episode feeding the poor and trying to keep a sense of balance and law in the city despite everything and it was really funny that everyone was thanking Jim for the Wayne chopper bringing food when it was actually Bruce who did it. I also love that Jim has basically accepted that Bruce is a member of the GCPD at least while this whole No Man's Land thing is going on! I'm curious about where the season will go with this whole thing cause the end has to be when the government eventually steps in and rights the wrongs right?

Riddler didn't have much to do in tonight's episode and I spent most of that time wondering where Lee was and whether she really was dead. I know she tried to kill him last season and he tried to kill her but I don't remember how it ended. He seems to be fighting Ed again but it would be so funny if he wasn't actually fighting his other personality but someone was messing with him by moving his sleeping body around though I can't think of anyone who would do that right now since he's so apart from the rest of the cast.

I almost completely forgot that Butch died last season by the hands of Penguin who wanted to punish Tabitha for killing his mom back in like season 1 or 2 but once I did, I remembered how heartbroken I was. It was even worse seeing Tabby try to get revenge for poor Butch only to have her gun misfire and Penguin murder her. I actually screamed out loud just like Barbara cause I really didn't expect her to die so quickly like that especially since no one really dies on Gotham! I loved Tabby and I'm sorry to see her go. I am 100% on board with Barbara's revenge scheme cause even though Penguin is such a fun villain, he's done the most horrible things and I can't see Barbara being murdered this season though maybe if she does die and in a way that protects or helps Jim then maybe it would make sense for him to name his future daughter after her.

No Jeremiah tonight but we did get a hint of our future Harley! I totally forgot she was cast this season and I can't wait to see what happens!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment