Sunday, January 1, 2017

Top 10 TV Shows of 2016

Hi everyone! As promised, I'm back with my top 10 favorite tv shows of 2016! Again, this list is based on my personal opinions and may have spoilers. There was a lot of great TV out this year so I'm going to start with some honorable mentions which has some shows that I binged this year but have ended and some shows that are still on air but that just missed the top 10 list! If you want a refresher, check out my Top 10 TV Shows of 2013, my Top 10 TV Shows of 2014, and my Top 10 TV Shows of 2015 lists!

The Tudors

First up is The Tudors! As you know, I freaking love period dramas but I didn't get Netflix until this year so I was literally in heaven and watched basically every single period drama on Netflix (minus one or two) and this one was one of my absolute favorites! I kind of prefer the slice of life in another century shows because I'm not a huge fan of politics in general as it irritates me when the main characters are manipulated but this show had the perfect mix of both politics and slice of life! It was absolutely perfect. I loved watching Henry "fall in love" over and over and seeing actors that I know appear in this show! It was so much fun to watch Henry age and I cannot explain to you enough how perfect the acting, costumes and storylines were! Definitely check it out if you can!

Timeless

Next up on the honorable mentions is Timeless! Now you may remember that this show was one of the few Fall 2016 shows that I decided to check out and I was kinda iffy when it began but as the show continued, it creeped up into my favorites and I didn't even notice until the show was off one week and I realized I missed it a lot when it finally came back! I love the characters and the different time periods and the costumes and the mystery behind who the villains are! Everything you could want from a time travel show can be found here! The slow build between Lucy and Wyatt is great and I love seeing how Rufus has to survive in different time periods with racism being as strong as it is. Flynn is very mysterious and there are times that it makes you wonder if he really is the villain and there's nothing better than a grey villain! Click here to see all my Timeless posts. The second half of season 1 airs on January 16th at 10 PM on NBC!

TURN: Washington's Spies

Looking back on my top 10 lists for the past three years, I've realized how sad it is that Turn: Washington's Spies has never been on my lists. I've been watching and loving this show since it first aired in 2014. Now we're three seasons in and coming up on the final fourth season and I decided that Turn needs the love it so desperately deserves. Seriously guys, this is a show about spies during the American Revolution. The characters are all super badass, the women are so strong, the costumes are excellent, the plot is amazing and the spying is so much fun to watch. The rush you feel when all the cogs fit in place and a piece of information travels all the way from York to Washington's camp is indescribable! All the characters are relatable and the show makes you feel so patriotic to watch! This little gem is so rarely talked about but it deserves all the love. Click here to see all my Turn posts!


And now, let's get into my top 10 tv shows of 2016!

The Musketeers

Coming in at number 10 is.... The Musketeers! This show has been on every one of top 10 lists since this show first aired and there's a great reason for that! This show is incredible! It's fun and serious and comedic and romantic and action-packed. Basically it's everything you could want in a show about the Musketeers. Season 3 just aired and it is the final season of the Musketeers which is unfortunate. It's also ranked a little lower than it was the past two years and that's simply because I didn't like this season as much as the past two. Something about the tone just felt off to me and I don't know what it was. All I know is that season 3 did not give me the same feels as the past two. Season 2 is definitely my favorite. But the show ended in a great way and every character was given a good end point other than Athos because the actress who played Milady wasn't in enough of the show. Definitely check it out. Click here to see all my Musketeers posts!

Outlander

At number 9 is... Outlander! Season 2 aired this year and although it wasn't as good as season 1, it was still a great show to watch. Season 2 got much darker than the previous season so it was less fun which I think is why I didn't like it as much. It was still fun to see the Frasers in France though and I loved seeing Claire return to Frank and see how different she was with him compared to Jamie because it showed just how much she loved Jamie. The war was interesting to watch too and I can't wait until season 3 comes around although from what I've seen that was in the books, I'm not sure that I'll like it very much but who knows! You probably know my pitch for this show by now but here goes one more time! Great costumes, amazing acting, a smart female lead, killer chemistry between Jamie and Claire and breathtaking scenery. Click here to see all my Outlander posts!

Black Sails

Coming in at number 8 is... Black Sails! Season 3 aired this year and we're coming up on fourth and final season in 2017 which is sad but also it seems like a good time to wrap up the show. A lot of shows have the problem of going on too long and after the major death that happened in season 3, it seems like a good point for the story to conclude. The reason Black Sails is so low on my list this year is again that I didn't love this season as much as the last two. Everything was still great except for the characterization of Eleanor who used to be one of my favorites but now I can't even look at her character and how they completely destroyed it just to get from point A to B. I'm interested to see how the show will conclude and whether it will tie in to Treasure Island. Click here to see all my Black Sails posts. Season 4 airs on January 29th at 9 PM on Starz!

The Flash

At number 7 is.... The Flash! My biggest problem with The Flash during the first half of season 3 is how little exciting moments there were. Most of the season was spent with broody Barry who isn't even as fun as broody Oliver. All Barry did was whine and go on and on about how he messed everything up like we get it Barry, move on already. My other problem with Barry has always been that he can never solve a problem by himself. Kara and Oliver may get help from their tech teams but they can make decisions on their own. Barry sees something and is like help immediately. Even the excitement of Killer Frost was rushed through in that one episode Caitlin went evil randomly and then was fixed randomly. It makes no sense to me why the fact that Caitlin has ice powers would make her evil automatically. Click here to see all my Flash posts. The second half of Season 3 airs on January 24th at 8 PM on the CW!

iZombie

Coming in at number 6 is... iZombie! This is another show that I watched from when it first aired in the Spring of 2015 but it didn't get on my top 10 list that year because as much as I liked the show, it wasn't top 10 quality. Then season 2 aired in 2016 and I was blown away with how much I loved this show. It is the perfect mix of comedy and mystery with a little bit of action thrown in. The characters are all so loveable, the plot is amazing, the villains are a thrill to watch and this is one of the only shows were the love interest is written to be just as interesting as the main character and has side plots of his own unlike the DCTV shows were Iris and Felicity are just there to be love interests. Despite every episode having a detective mystery to solve, there are overarching storylines that continue throughout each episode so the show doesn't feel like a procedural. Click here to see all my iZombie posts. Season 3 airs on April 4th at 8 PM on the CW!

Arrow

At number 5 is... Arrow! Oh my poor sweet baby. The show that started the DCTV world had fallen for the past two seasons but season 5 is looking up a little which I'm afraid to say cause every time I say that in one of these reviews, it's all downhill from there. This show has a special place in my heart but that does not mean that I'm loving everything that's been going on. If you've been reading my reviews of season 5, you know that I seriously dislike this new team of recruits and I don't like how the show is pretending that Olicity never happened because I promise you show that Olicity was not the reason season 3 and 4 bombed but in fact was due to terrible writing but I really liked the twist at the end of the midseason finale of season 5. I also like that the show is more grounded this year cause I feel like the villains in Arrow work better when they have a personal reason for disliking Oliver and when they're just normal people rather than magical ones cause the Green Arrow is just a normal person so it makes more sense. Click here to see all my Arrow posts. The second half of Season 5 airs on January 25th at 8 PM on the CW!

Sense8

Coming in at number 4 is... Sense8! Okay so technically Season 1 aired in 2015 but like I said, I didn't get Netflix until this year so I was not able to check it out until recently. I was a little hesitant cause despite hearing great things about this show, my brother watched it and disliked it so I was worried that I wouldn't like it either but after watching it, I was blown away and I don't know what my brother was doing to dislike it! All the characters are so fascinating and each individual storyline is so interesting and I love how the different sensates are able to help each other out. The scenes were the different sensates come in and help have to be my favorite parts and one of the major reasons that I love this show. I love the main couples, especially Wolfgang and Kala, and I love how ambiguous Naveen Andrews is. The only thing I don't love as much as the rest is Whispers and the whole time I was watching the season 1 finale, I kept wondering if he maybe has some sort of superpowers or something because why couldn't they just kill him and that'd be the end of that? Season 2 will air on May 5th on Netflix!

Reign

At number 3 is... Reign! I bet you're surprised at this ranking, aren't you? As you may know if you read previous posts of mine, I almost dropped Reign during season 2 with how much I disliked the way Mary was written but I got through based on the storylines of the other characters and the show finally corrected it's mistakes. I kept watching when Francis died even though it left me heartbroken and refound my love for this show during season 3 and I'm so glad I did because I really do love this show. All of the characters are so fun to watch and I loved seeing Mary give rousing speeches and being badass as hell. One of my favorite scenes in season 3 was when she stormed her Scottish castle and interrupted the council who thought she was dead and declared herself Mary Queen of Scots! My favorite scene though has to be the dance between Mary and Francis in episode 3 of Season 3. You could feel the love and chemistry oozing from the screen! Click here see all my Reign posts. Season 4 of Reign airs on February 10th at 9 PM on CW!

Supergirl

Coming in at number 2 is... Supergirl! Not very surprising if you have been following my reviews of Season 2 but if you haven't let me say this is my favorite DCTV show on air right now! I didn't think I would have said this after Season 1 but honestly the quality difference between Season 1 and 2 was insane! I will never be more thankful that Supergirl moved to CW because CBS did not know how to write a good show! The storylines are better, the acting is better, the characters are better, the fight choreography is better, the special effects are better. If you can name a complaint from Season 1, it's been fixed in Season 2. Every single episode leaves you on the edge of your seat wanting more! Superman was great this season and so is Mon El and the Luthors and Cadmus and the introduction of Alex's LGBTQ storyline which has to be one of the best written that I've seen on TV. If you watched a few episodes of Supergirl Season 1 and dropped it or heard that it sucked and never tuned in, watch a recap of Season 1 on Youtube (SourceFedNerd does a great one) and then jump into Season 2!! You will not regret it! Click here to see all my Supergirl posts. The second half of Season 2 airs January 23rd at 8 PM on CW!

Agents Of SHIELD

And now the moment you've all been waiting for!!!!! My number 1 favorite TV show of 2016 is..... AGENTS OF SHIELD!!!! Guys, I'm sorry but you really had to see this coming. I cannot stop raving about how much I adore Agents of SHIELD. Most people don't understand me and why I love this show so much and I never know how to explain it. I love all the characters so much and I think each episode is like an adventure that you're so involved in. I want more after every episode airs and it never feels like the show is dragging! The new dark tone took a bit to get used to but after a couple of episodes early on, the tone returned to what we're used to. I loved Ghost Rider appearing on the show and he was amazing and I'm looking forward to the LMD stuff we're going to get! The show is able to balance every character and give everyone something to do which is hard is such a large ensemble cast! Click here to see all my Agents of SHIELD posts. The second half of Season 4 airs January 10th at 10 PM on ABC!


And that concludes my Top 10 TV Shows of 2016 list! I hope you enjoyed and let me know what you're top 10 were this year! Happy 2017 everyone!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment