Monday, April 24, 2017

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 18 Review

And we're finally back! Who's excited?? This was a weird episode for me cause it felt like so many people were missing and then they'd appear randomly and there were things I liked and things I was bored by. Despite all this, I did like this episode and I appreciated what it was trying to do.

I think a major part of the reason why this episode felt so strange was the fact that this was more of a reporter-centric episode rather than a superhero episode which ultimately I did love. I always joke around that Kara is not a reporter like at all. All she does is write stories on Supergirl cause she's there. She never finds sources or goes hunting as Kara and not Supergirl so it was a fun change of pace. I really enjoyed seeing Kara interviewing people and sneaking around even though she did cheat a bit with her powers. I love that she got her job back (although was their any doubt?) and it's kinda hilarious that Snapper did all this just to make Kara learn a lesson and I really hope it sticks. I also really hope we get more episodes like this where the focus is Kara not Supergirl cause that's a struggle that these DCTV shows have in that the characters get so wrapped up in their superhero personas that we forget who they are outside of that. When was the last time we saw Barry do his forensic science thing? What about Iris being a reporter? How on Earth does Felicity and the rest of Team Arrow survive without jobs? If shows want us to see these characters as people, they can't be one-dimensional. Okay rant over.

Alex and J'onn were only around for like a few minutes at the top of the episode and I think that's a huge part of my weird feeling. When was the last time that we had an episode without Alex? It would have made sense if she joined Kara at the end with Lena and Jack in the warehouse! Why doesn't Kara ever take backup with her? She could have had Alex or James or Mon El help but instead she goes off on her own and it confuses me. Also no Sanvers which was unfortunate!

Speaking of, what the actual hell happened to Mon El wanting to be a hero? One screw up and we're done with that? Maybe this storyline will come back or maybe it won't. Either way, I still love every time he shows up on screen. He wasn't in the first half of the episode at all which was kinda confusing but I loved how uncomfortable he made Jack by declaring feeling a bromance between them and how he swiped his badge. I loved him telling Kara that going to the restaurant where Lena was having dinner was creepy and stalking. I'm always a fan of seeing couples just existing and doing normal things not heaped in soap opera drama and I wish these DCTV shows would do more of that. That's one of my favorite things about Sanvers and Westallen for most of this season and Olicity in the first half of season 4 before the baby mama drama. I know I'm making a lot of comparisons across the board tonight but sorry not sorry. All these shows are connected and I don't understand how people can watch one and not the others!

James' Guardian storyline is laughable. I was hesitant about it when it first started but I was glad that James finally had something to do but now I wonder why he's even still on the show. We've seen nothing interesting coming out of this storyline and it's been almost a full season now. We could take James out of the show entirely and nobody would care which is upsetting cause I did like parts of his character last season. I wish there was a way to do a complete overhaul of his character cause the writers really screwed him from the start like Laurel although she got better as the seasons went on so here's hoping. His whole thing was that he didn't like Lyra fighting crime beside him and Lyra got mad at Winn who got mad at James and everything was fine in the end. Yay. I literally tuned out every time the show flipped back to this.

And now onto the nitty gritty of the episode! Rahul Kohli played Jack, Lena's ex and the whole time I had such the struggle trying to see him as the bad guy! I know Rahul from iZombie and I love love love him on that show and I couldn't see him play anything but charming unlike Katie who I watched as Morgana and I can't see anything but kinda sketchy! I did love Jack and Lena together though and I'm heartbroken that he died in the end cause we can't get him back although I did figure that this was a one-time appearance due to him having a main character role on another show. I loved the twist that he wasn't the villain of the episode and that he was just being controlled and that he knew what killing the nanobots would do to him and how he told Lena to stop them anyway. I also loved the exchange with Lena and the CFO (who's name I've completely forgotten... sorry!!) about Lena not needing to stand behind a man and then punching the CFO and being like did I mention I was a Luthor? Honestly Lena was amazing every time she appeared this episode and I love the final exchange between Lena and Kara when Lena was talking about feeling cold. This would have been a great time to turn her if only Supergirl was the one to shut down the nanobots to stop them from killing Lena but since Lena did it, I feel like she'll be fine.

I am curious about what Rhea could want with Lena tbh. Wouldn't Lillian be the better option for evil?

Maybe there was so little Alex this week cause it looks like an Alex-heavy episode next week which I am loving!! I can't wait to see Maggie and Kara team up to save Alex and to see Chyler Leigh act her ass off! I also hope we get more of Rhea and what her plan with Lena is!

Don't forget to tune in tomorrow for my Flash and Agents of SHIELD reviews!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment