Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Riverdale Season 3 Episode 1 Review

Season 3 of Riverdale is back with all the strange and craziness that makes it take up such a fond place in my heart! In case you don't know, I do reviews of the premieres and finales for Riverdale and if you're curious, click here.

So much of tonight's episode was spent around Archie's trial and I was honestly surprised that Archie ended up in juvie at the end. I really did think that Veronica would have cut a deal with her dad at some point and gotten the charges dropped and I wonder if that was Hiram thought would happen too. Not only did he tell Veronica that he did all this to punish her for choosing Archie over him but he also looked shocked when Archie decided to take the deal. I wonder if he was just dragging this whole thing out waiting for when Veronica would promise to break up with Archie or whatever which would make sense as to why the judge dismissed the case until after Labor Day. It seems like sending main characters to jail is really in right now with Barry and Oliver going to jail last season and now Archie. I'm sure he'll get out at some point this season cause we all saw the council of dads at the end of the episode promising to take Hiram down.

It's also interesting that Hermione mentioned that she was a prisoner to Hiram and that she only did whatever he wanted so that he wouldn't hurt her cause I got that vibe from them last season but neither the show or Hermione herself noted anything was wrong until now. Veronica didn't really seem to have much of a reaction to that either which disappoints me a little cause your mom basically admitting to domestic abuse sounds like something you should care about though I'd give her a bit of a pass cause she is worried about Archie. Maybe this will be part of her storyline this season?

On the other hand can we talk about how Serpent tattoos and jackets are basically given out to everyone? Archie has a tattoo now and Betty has a jacket and is the queen which kills me (in a how is this real funny kind of way.) We're also told that there's a crew of Serpents in jail and in Quebec just in case Archie wants to run. It just reminds me how the Serpents were this big bad season 1 that no one wanted to talk about or be a part of and they were like drug smugglers and killers and now the Serpents are basically a school club. They hang and party and consider themselves a family. All the actual gang violence stuff has been handed over to the Ghoulies and I will never be over it.

Speaking of the Serpents, Cole Sprouse as Jughead was looking extra fine tonight and I don't know what it was! I love how the Serpents are basically camping out now and I do love Jughead and Betty as King and Queen and I hope we get to see more of them leading the group. I have a feeling that Cheryl is going to be vying for the throne cause when can Cheryl not be a part of something without leading it which will be an awful thing if it does happen cause like FP explained to Jughead, blood makes him a Serpent and no one can take that away and Cheryl only joined cause Toni was there. There was a little standoff between the Ghoulies and the Serpents and it looks like that fight will continue this season with the Ghoulies aiming to take the Northside as well as the Southside. This fascinates me cause like what about the police? I have a feeling Northsiders won't be chill with a gang trying to take over especially one as violent as the Ghoulies.

Sidebar, what even is happening in the Southside right now? I mean Hiram and his secret council took over all the properties on the Southside and then kicked out all the people so is it basically a ghost town down there with only Ghoulies roaming around? Are there still regular people not affiliated with any gangs living there?

The mystery for this season might be this Gargoyle King that Dilton Doiley was talking about which seems to be some kind of cult based on the ritual death that Jughead found which makes me think that they're probably going to be connected to this Farm that Polly and Alice keep talking about cause since Polly mentioned it last season, I felt it was very cultish. Speaking of the Cooper women, Betty seemed to have it a little together when we first saw her tonight but we slowly realized that all of it was a lie which is not surprising cause Betty has always wanted to push away her darker sides (that is what Dark Betty is.) I did like that she was able to confront it at the end of the episode with Jughead who of course told her in the sweetest way that no matter what happens, he'd be there with her. Betty ended the episode with what looked like withdrawal symptoms from the Adderall she'd be taking so I hope that her storyline this season isn't about drugs exactly and more about her accepting what happened and going to therapy again. Drug storylines always make me sad so I don't want my girl to have to deal with that.

That's all for now! I'll see you all Friday for my What Dramas Am I Watching This Week post and then Sunday for my Supergirl review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment