Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Flash Season 5 Episode 2 Review

I loved tonight's episode even more than the premiere and I'm thrilled that not only did the show finally did something I've been begging it to but it also had a lot of fantastic moments and storylines that I was loving.

Let's start with Iris who FINALLY seems to be going back to reporter roots and doing what I've been begging the show to do which is give her a story outside of Barry! Iris has never been a favorite of mine cause from almost the beginning she pretty much only existed to be Barry's love interest and that drove me crazy cause I could see all her potential and she had so much to do in season 1 that seemed to get lost as soon as Eddie died. Honestly all the characters have been reduced to their roles in Team Flash (like seriously how do Cisco and Caitlin make money now that they don't have jobs?) and how they relate to Barry and I can't decide if that's done to save time or money (that can be used for CGI instead of multiple sets.) Either way I'm just glad that now Iris actually gets to do something and showcase her smarts. I've been wanting her to get a storyline for a while now that connects back to the main villain in a Lois Lane kind of way (aka she's on the trail of something that Barry's hunting too but doesn't know it's the same thing until later) and though we got that, I was a tiny bit disappointed that the payoff seemed to come in tonight's episode as well. I hope this doesn't mean that we give up on this idea and that we keep playing with this arc cause I really want Iris to get her own storyline please!

Nora was also still a ton of fun and I'm loving her dynamic with Barry now that he's accepted her. I was surprised to find out that they told everyone the truth about why she was there but I also really liked that Iris was like so what, that's in the future and we'll fix it like everything else cause that would have honestly been my thought too. Watching her work with Barry both as a CSI and a speedster was fun though I can't help but feel like with her around there's no need for Ralph or Cisco and I suppose that's why they were doing their own thing all episode. I loved that scene Barry had with Joe and how Joe gave such excellent parenting advice cause he is the papa bear of this show. It was super sweet how Nora was so energetic cause she just wanted to impress her dad and that Barry tried to fix it by showing her all the mistakes he made when he was first starting out. It was also pretty cool that she was the one to stop the meta at the end and I loved how acrobatic she was when she was speeding around cause it gives us a cool way to showcase how she's different than Barry.

We also got another few nods to the awkward relationship between Nora and Iris from Iris talking to Joe about Nora not wanting to be around her and then Iris feeling a little jealous seeing Barry and Nora work a case together. I liked Joe's advice about Iris waiting patiently and how Nora will come to her but I have a feeling that there's a deeper issue at play here cause Nora isn't just accidentally ignoring her mom in favor of her dad, she's actually rolling her eyes when her mom talks and making uncomfortable faces. I bet this really especially hurts Iris cause Iris grew up without a mom and she probably wants to be an amazing mom for her daughter too. I do hope that the reason for Nora being chilly toward Iris is something deep cause it would feel anticlimactic after all this build up if it was just as simple as they got into a fight before she left.

The Joe and Cecile stuff was super boring tbh and I'm still wondering if Cecile never had the mind reading powers and if it was actually Jenna with them and now that Jenna is not inside Cecile's body anymore if that's why she's losing her mind reading powers. It's a known fact that moms and babies share nutrients and blood and stuff through the placenta so I could see dark matter going from Jenna to Cecile. The only evidence against this is that Nora hasn't said anything about Jenna and mind reading and we know that Nora's pretty terrible at keeping things to herself.

My favorite part of the episode however was definitely the stuff with Cisco, Caitlin and Ralph. I'm suddenly finding myself loving Ralph and I think that has a lot to do with the writing and how he's no longer such an asshole. He's still a bit of a moron but in a more lighthearted fun way so he's making steps to get over heartbreak instead of listing breast sizes (ugh remember that Ralph.) I died of laughter when he went to Cisco to ask him to vibe something and Cisco is like I'm not around leave a message and Ralph actually pretends to leave a message like he's on the phone. It was everything and I had to rewind that just to watch it again. I love that Cisco is having such a hard time with losing Gypsy and that Caitlin is so adamant about helping him cause if anyone knows about heartache, it's her after losing Ronnie and Jay turning out to be Zoom. It was a bit of a distraction on her part as well cause she was afraid to find her dad but her heart was still in the right place.

I still have a feeling that Caitlin's dad is going to turn out to be a villain like Icicle Senior (can't be Mr Freeze cause his wife is appearing in the crossover so it's obviously not Caitlin's mom) cause who else but villains fake their own deaths? I loved the talk Cisco and Caitlin had about how it's better to know than to constantly wonder and I really did expect Cisco to tell her something like if he doesn't want to know you then it's his loss. I sometimes do wonder if Cisco and Caitlin would make a good couple cause they've always been so close and they clearly don't have any other endgame set up. Even over on Arrow most of the cast has a love interest whether they appear on screen or not (poor JJ Diggle is like constantly sent off to nannies I'm assuming since his parents are never home lol.)

We also got a bit more on Cicada and it seems he is hunting down metas but the idea that metas lose their powers when around that lightening bolt thing he carries is super fun cause it gives Barry such a disadvantage. I guess he's going to need to either find someone who can fight without meta powers cause it looks like Cicada likes to kill hand-to-hand or figure out a way to negate the bolt's powers. I wonder if it's sucking out the dark matter from metas cause that's what gives them powers no? And if that's the case, I'm sure there's a way Cisco can build a anti-dark matter weapon of some kind. Idk the more I think about it, the easier it seems to be able to beat him cause at the very very least they just gotta get the bolt away from him and then he's a normal human (at least as far as we know.) Does the bolt automatically take away meta powers or does Cicada need to actively use it? It's also interesting that he seemed to have such a reaction to Nora which makes me wonder if maybe he came back with Nora from the future.

The promo and title of next week's episode are fascinating but I have a pretty strong feeling that they will be misleading cause there's no way The Flash kills off Cisco since he's such a fan favorite. Then again if he was killed it would give credence to how evil Cicada is. We also seem to be getting a new Wells who is a detective which is interesting in that at least it's a different type of Wells but also weird cause don't we already have enough detectives/private investigators/reporters who can hunt down information? I didn't entirely miss having a Harrison Wells around tbh so I'm not super excited for him to return cause I feel like there's already enough main characters on the Flash. Either way, I'm intrigued!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment