Friday, October 26, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


    FINISHED Devilish Joy (16/16): Gong Ma Sung is a successor to the Sunwoo company. Life seems to be going well until he gets into a car accident while trying to help a woman. Since then, he suffers from memory loss where his memory lasts only a day. Every night before bed, he writes notes about what happened to him that day and the next morning he memorizes everything that happened. Gong Ma Sung then meets Joo Gi Beum, a formerly well-known actress, and falls in love.

    Lots of things happened this week. Gi Beum is officially cleared of murder and I think it's kind of hilarious that it was so simple to fix. I still don't understand how the police screwed up so badly when they were searching originally but I guess I'd like to believe that the CEO had the police in his pocket which is why it made no sense. Speaking of, it amuses me how in most shows, the rich people always own the police and the prosecution and judges but in this world the rich CEO aka Ma Sung has no one and someone an entertainment producer/CEO has all the leverage. It's also kind of hilarious how he figured out that the aunt and the doctor set up Ma Sung to be killed that day but like it makes no sense that he figured it out or that he bothered to tell Ma Sung about it but I guess that's so the plot can move from point a to b. The fact that Ma Sung won't actually tell anyone about how they tried to kill him cause main characters in shows never actually get revenge like they should is super annoying. If it was me, I would be shouting it from the rooftops. So what is Ki Joon finds out? His mother is a monster who literally did all this just cause she doesn't have 100% control of the company which is ridiculous cause she's acting as though she has nothing. I'm glad that Ma Sung's secretary gave him the recording in the end cause it seems like something he should know about! I was really not a fan of the idea that he ran away but as I expected he came back magically fixed. The ending was sweet though I think I liked his reunion with Ki Joon better than Gi Beum ironically. Overall this was a fine show but I think it started out stronger than it ended tbh so I'd give it a 7.5 / 10!
      The Ghost Detective (30/32): Lee Da Il is a private investigator. Jung Yeo Wool becomes his assistant to solve a mystery related to her younger sibling’s death. They work together to solve other mysterious crimes.

      Honestly I've never been more furious with characters on a show and the most annoying part is that our problems could have been solved if only everyone told each other everything! The dumbass reporter and lawyer have no idea what's going on and because of that they let Sunwoo Hye go where Da Il did everything he could to catch her. If they had left her in there bound, gagged and locked in, her body would have rotted on it's own time and her soul would be stuck and disappear too! But noooo. The reporter had to be stupid and go talk to her when he KNEW that she possesses people! Like what did he think? That he's magical or special for no reason? Ugh. Despite my rant, I do actually like that Yeo Wool was like cut this shit out or I'll kill myself. I also kind of don't understand the possessing thing cause if she possesses people by looking at their eyes, why can't everyone (like the stupid cops!) just look at her forehead? Or maybe Da Il's song playing on their phones or a speaker to keep them from getting possessed? I knew from almost the beginning that it was definitely possessed Yeo Wool talking during the 30th episode cause I was like there's no way that this ended so quickly and I loved how Da Il knew immediately. I love how he tricked Sunwoo into leaving Yeo Wool's body and I hope that we get to see what Da Il said to her. I assume it's something like I love you and I hope you live your life well. The finale is next week and I can't wait to see how this show ends! I have a feeling that Da Il will be fine but I do hope that he's not a vengeful ghost like the preview was trying to confuse us with.
      The Player (8/14): A police redemption team consisting of a swindler, a fighter, an elite hacker and a talented driver is asked to take back property hidden away by criminals.

      Every week we seem to meet worse people than we met the last and it's insane how every week they make my skin crawl. I wonder if this is so our crew can look better in comparison though everyone in our crew are good people so it's not really needed if that's the case! The case was a bit boring this week cause we spent most of our time following the villains and watching our crew react though I do like that things feel a little more connected than I expected. The villains this week took money from the villain we met last week so they had to kill them to hide their antics and I liked that cause of the stuff Ah Ryung went through, her affection towards the boys was still there and even stronger. I loved watching the crew tease each other and seeing her move into the loft with the others. I also called it practically from the moment we met that lawyer that he was a plant cause something about him was smarmy even though we were supposed to view it as charming! I think the plan feels so messy this week cause not only are there so many moving parts but this case is very close to Ha Ri's heart and not only does he have to con the targets but he's also conning his team and Prosecutor Jang cause they don't know what his stakes are in this either. Honestly watching shows like this always make me feel so terribly about the court system cause it's like everyone owns everyone else!
      The Smile Has Left Your Eyes (8/16): A TV series centered around the unfolding relationship between free and unpredictable yet dangerous Kim Moo Young, who is called a "monster". He is the first assistant in a Korean beer brewery who becomes a suspect when his girlfriend's suicide turns out to be murder. His life begins to change when he meets a kind, warm advertising designer named Yoo Jin Kang, who wishes to be Moo Young's safe haven. She bears as many emotional scars as him. Yoo Jin Kang also has a brother, a homicide detective named Yoo Jin Gook, with 27 years of job experience. He strives to "reveal" who Moo Young really is and attempts to keep his sister, Jin Kang, away from Moo Young, with whom she begins to know.

      I kind of like that this version of Moo Young isn't a monster. I mean of course he's a bad boy, juggling all these women which is why I am so much more furious with Jin Gook in this show! He has this obsession towards Moo Young that makes no sense in the context of what we know now. Just because Moo Young says some mean things, works at a popular bar that people who died visited, walked down a street in his own neighborhood that happened to be near the dead girl's house and uses girls, suddenly he's a monster and inhuman and the devil? Seriously if a cop is following you around and being aggressive, how else would you act then like nothing fazes you? And don't even get me started on how his stupid narrowed focus seem to blind him to everything else. Like never mind those rich people who instigated this whole mess, let's focus on one of the victims who only made a stupid choice in reaching out to Seung Ah and teasing Woo Sang! It was much more clear in the jdrama where Moo Young told Seung Ah that he'd be with her if Woo Sang wasn't around leading to her killing him. In the kdrama, a bunch of terrible accidents happen in a row and if we really want to point fingers, it was Woo Sang's fault for speeding up into the car. Let's also ignore the actual murderer of that other girl and focus on how Moo Young manipulated her into it! Great job Jin Gook. Your evidence is circumstantial at best and I'm still pretty sure that in this version Moo Young didn't do it (I have a feeling it's Moo Young's bartender friend who's always lurking.) It does make me wonder what Moo Young's "evil plan" would have been cause he told Woo Sung that he took the money, played it up to Jin Gook making it seem like he was into some shit, and egged Seung Ah on to speed up which led to the accident. I'm also enjoying the slow build of Jin Kang and Moo Young's relationship but it's also killing me cause he's in love and she's getting there too and I adore that she's pretty much his one and only weakness but we're still hemming and hawing and we're already halfway through!
      Terius Behind Me (20/32): Go Ae Rin is a single mother who after unexpectedly losing her husband, gets involved in a spy war. She lives in the apartment in front of Kim Bon. Kim Bon, who's code name is Terius, is a legendary black ops agent for the National Intelligence Service (NIS) who has gone into hiding after disappearing without a trace. 3 years ago in a failed secret operation, he lost the woman he loved. Since then, Kim Bon has hid away in his apartment, next to Go Ae Rin, isolated from the world around him and living in secrecy, trying to uncover the mystery behind what happened back then. When a mysterious incident arises in which Go Ae Rin's husband dies, they both team up to uncover a huge conspiracy which Go Ae Rin's husband had become involved in.Joining them is Jin Young Tae, a former con man who may hold the key to what Go Ae Rin and Kim Bon are searching for, and Yoo Ji Yeon, a fellow NIS agent who appears cold and unfeeling on the outside but harbours feelings towards Kim Bon, who she is kind towards.

      One thing I love about spy/thriller shows is how they constantly keep you guessing. I have no idea who's evil or who's good or what's happening and I honestly love it. Last week I was wondering if one of the KIS moms was the lady in red heels or if it was that KIS guy's wife but we actually met the woman in red and she's a new character which is fun. We did get the reveal that the husband of one of the KIS moms is actually working with the villains to make a bio-terrorist attack and I love that it was revealed through KIS (inadvertently the way all reveals are done.) I still suspect that the NIS woman who seemed super sketchy isn't the mole after all and it's actually the nice boss who we think we're supposed to support but is actually evil. I really did think that CEO Jin was dead earlier this week but it turns out he's fine and I was living for his awkwardness with calling Bon brother. I also liked his backstory cause it gave us leave to like him which I was struggling with earlier since he had a weird distinction from his evil persona and his adorable normal self so the fact that he was basically forced into this crime syndicate really humanized him. And tbh this whole bio-terror attack seriously feels not just out of nowhere but much darker than I expected from this show. Ae Rin was really badass this week too when she saved Bon from the water and I adore their little family and the fact that her daughter was the one to get the flashdrive so at least it's not with the villains yet!
      Where Stars Land/Fox Bride Star (14/40): Lee Soo Yeon and Han Yeo Reum are rookies who works at Incheon Airport. Soo Yeon dreamed of becoming a pilot, but vision in one of his eyes was bad enough that he had to give up on his dream, he joins the general planning department. Yeo Reum begins to work in the CS management department at the airport. She wants to be a perfectionist, but her reality is a little bit different.

      Only two episodes aired this week and they were fine overall but I'm starting to get really bored of this show. The romance isn't cute enough, Yeo Reum isn't interesting enough, and the airport aspect isn't shown enough! I'm getting tired of watching episode after episode about Soo Yeon's support device and the whole airport being waaayy too interested in nonsense. Like I get that everyone likes gossip but it was an intense amount and that asshole who overheard everything but decided to spread a fake rumor anymore was literally the worst this week cause he was in the closet long enough to hear Yeo Reum talk about how much it sucked for dating rumors to get around for the woman in the relationship and he still did it anyway. On top of that, I kept waiting for either of the two to actually speak up and be like the rumor isn't true and we aren't dating but instead they were just quietly upset. In Woo is also still super annoying cause he's now starting to place his hatred of Soo Yeon above the airport and it was weird of the boss to pick him to do a presentation when she knew that In Woo hated him in particular. The only thing really going for this show is that it's a M/T show and I don't have much to watch on those days so I don't entirely mind watching this with half my attention.

      CDRAMA


      An Oriental Odyssey (7/50): In Tang Dynasty, the chivalrous eldest daughter of the Assistant Minister of Revenue, Ye Yuan An, saves Mu Le, an amnesiac young man of mysterious identity. Yuan An takes Mu Le in as a family servant, and the latter swears his loyalty to her. Along with Zhao Lan Zhi, a constable, the trio solve cases after cases together. But what is Mu Le's true identity?

      I originally thought this show might be based on The Journey To The West like A Korean Odyssey was which is why I was hesitant to check it out since A Korean Odyssey was one of my favorite asian dramas but I ended up checking out the show cause I was bored one day and as soon as I started this show, I realized that this is based on a totally different story and after 7 episodes, I'm all in! I adore the characters and the plot so far. Ye Yuan An is kind, dresses like a guy half the time and refuses to turn away when someone needs help. Mu Le is adorable and loyal and so much like a puppy that I don't know how you can't fall in love with him (especially when he's played by Zheng Ye Cheng who is sooooo good looking!) Even Zhao Lan Zhi is smart and nice and knows right from wrong. I love that this show is about our trio solving mysteries together though I'm sure that we'll get more mystical at some point cause I have a feeling Mu Le is a magical creature (possibly that dragon we see in the opening theme.) I also have a feeling that Mu Le and Ye Yuan An were in love in another realm or life and because of one thing or another, Ye Yuan An was punished and sent to the human world only for Mu Le to follow her and that's why he's only appeared now and with no memory. I love that there's a clear bad guy in the State Preceptor and his disciples and I kind of love that there's no evil royal plot (at least as of yet) cause it seems as though the Empress favors Zhao Lan Zhi and the Emperor is barely in this so far so here's hoping!
      Fights Break Sphere (42/45): Xiao Yan is a genius child who suddenly loses all his powers.In a world governed by strength and power, Xiao Yan’s lack of talent is an embarrassment to his family. At the age of 15, Xiao Yan accidentally summons Yao Chen from his mother’s ring. With the elder’s help, Xiao Yan’s skills improve by leaps and bounds. After his entire family is assassinated, Xiao Yan embarks on a journey to find his family’s killer and return peace to the Jianghu (martial world.)

      I like how it's the younger generation who's pretty much going to defeat the Blood Sect cause they're the ones who can see the bigger picture and not get sucked in by the idea of ambition and fame. I'm curious about the whole Ancient Jade thing cause we know there's five and those five can open up the Fight God's tomb and defeat the Blood Sect which is why the Blood Sect wants them too but it seems that 2 are allied with Blood Sect (Yunlan and Star Crash) and 3 are not but Nalan clan is basically held hostage by the Yunlan and Xiao clan is literally just Xiao Yan now (and possibly the branch family) while Gu clan has lost a lot fighting Blood Sect in their own island. It's supposed to be a big deal that there's not a lot of reinforcements but tbh the Blood Sect is only scary cause they can control so many others. Once the head is killed, everyone else goes down and when Xun'er stands with Xiao Yan and some of the masters, it's pretty easy to beat them as seen with the murder of 2 of Blood Sects people in two episodes and literally every time either Xun'er or Xiao Yan fight Fu Lao, he runs away cause he knows they can kill him! Also sidebar but the head of the college was talking about how they need proof before prosecuting those they think are Blood Sect and I'm over here wondering why they couldn't bleed them cause if they're in Blood Sect they should have Fu Lao's blood no? I know Xiao Yan is a little busy right now but it's a little weird that he's not worried at all about his father or his cousins since he got back to school. Maybe now that he opened that scroll and got a memory of his childhood again, he'll care especially since he's supposedly the chosen Fight God hero.
      Martial Universe Season 2 (10/20): The story takes place after Lin Dong and Zhou Tong have joined hands to defeat the enemy. Evil lingers as Yi Mo Huang survives and the search for the two remaining talismans continue. After witnessing Ying Huan Huan sacrifice her love for him in order to assume her position as the Ice Master, Lin Dong realizes that he must take up his duty as the successor of the Zu talisman. He helps his younger sister Qing Tan become the Master of Darkness and heads to the Demon Realm to obtain the Life and Death Talisman. A final battle awaits Lin Dong and his former friend Lin Lang Tian who has been overcome by his greed for power.

      We finally met Qing Tan again and she's pretty amazing now! She's all cold and badass and I'm pretty sure it's scaring Lin Dong a little but honestly it's been years now since they last saw each other (if I read the time jump correctly) and they're both different people. The heartbreak Lin Dong is going through right now, Qing Tan went through years ago and at an even worse level because while Huan Huan had to leave Lin Dong for duty and she loved him more than anything, Lang Tian was an asshole who loved her but not as much as himself and his ambition. Sidebar but I'm living for Lin Dong's angst and hardcore he's so much hotter now with his hair all unkempt and his beard but that might just be because I like my men pretty scruffy! We also popped into the monster realm and found the Life-Death Talisman and I do love the fox sisters of whom I'm sure the eldest will be the successor. I'm also loving that the elder is kinda into the Xiao Yan cause he's precious and deserves love while the younger is taking the place of a little sister in Lin Dong's eyes. I suppose the eldest will be joining the crew to take the place of the Sky Marten who's staying to take over his tribe. It was also pretty badass when he absorbed the essence of those flowers and basically leveled up in power cause I love seeing my main heroes be strong as hell but it's sad that we keep losing people and that our main crew is scattered around the world though I suppose it'll make it badass when they all meet up to take on the Yimo Emperor at some point.

        xoxo Allie

        No comments:

        Post a Comment