Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Arrow Season 5 Episode 8 Review

Part 3 of the 4 part crossover aired tonight and it was an interesting one! As an Arrow fan who watched the show from the very beginning, I felt a lot of feels but this wouldn't be as fufilling for fans who don't watch Arrow and only tuned in for the crossover! It was Arrow's 100th episode and it was just so amazing and all the old cast came back and it was epic! Let's get into it.

So firstly, let's start with the crossover stuff cause there wasn't a huge amount of it. Cisco and Felicity were looking for Oliver and everyone else who got kidnapped by the aliens and found that they needed some tech which someone stole so they called on Supergirl and Flash to team up with the new recruits (although Evelyn wasn't there cause reasons I guess). Renee was apparently not a fan of metas and supers but changed his mind in like five seconds after Barry and Kara saved his life. Well alright then. They were able to find out that Oliver and company were in space and Nate was able to take the time ship to find them and save them. See not too much crossover?

Kara and Barry tagging each other in to beat up the bad guy was hilarious though and I liked how in awe Rory and Curtis were with Barry and Kara. I also loved Cisco and was it just me or did he fit really well into the Arrow Cave now that he's grieving and not his usual upbeat self? They should trade Cisco for Curtis. I'm kinda over Curtis. I know he was supposed to join Felicity as the comic relief but I feel like he's way too over the top in levels of excitement for the team let alone the show. It was kind of a weird episode though cause what was everyone doing while they waited for Oliver to return. Like there are aliens out there, maybe you should be trying to deal with them.

Now onto the Arrow stuff. Oliver, Digg, Sara, Ray and Thea were all in this stasis pod thing that was probing their minds for information but while this was happening, they were all in this alternate world where Oliver never got on the Gambit. It was such a sweet way for the show to honor their 100th episode because they were able to get Laurel, Moira, Robert, Roy and all the major villains of the previous seasons back. I got so excited when I saw Roy even though he only appeared for 0.5 seconds and I think it was a recycled image with a audio clip. Also Deathstroke never took off his mask so it may or may not have been Manu underneath.

I liked how they were able to get out of the dream world and I almost cried when Thea was talking to Oliver about how everything was perfect in this world and how they had nothing to look forward to when they got out so why bother. It was heartbreaking. Poor Thea. Of course my favorite scenes were the ones where each character got flashes of their lives like when Oliver looked at Digg and Felicity (turns out I miss Olicity more than I thought as the season goes on) or when Sara looked at Ray. The part where they got onto the time ship for the first time was pretty amazing too. I liked Thea's comments because she had to step in to make the funny comments while Digg was hurt!!

It was also really interesting when they made the connection that the aliens all grabbed them cause they were human and didn't have any meta or superpowers. In the comics, the Dominators are really interested in learning about the metagene in humans so they could figure out why so many metas were popping up on Earth. They also sometimes activated the metagene and gave humans powers. I kind of hope this happens with Ray and he gets shrinking powers!

Despite being an amazing, thought-provoking and heavy with feelings episode of Arrow, I kind of felt the crossover was pushed to the backburner despite being the reason for this dream world. And I know that if these aliens didn't appear then they couldn't have gone back and seen all these characters but I don't know maybe the crossover should have happened last week (that would have fixed the Supergirl problem too) and this same storyline could have happened with Oliver being shot with a hallucinogen or something.

So I did like this episode but more as a standalone Arrow episode rather than a crossover one like Supergirl. Tune in tomorrow for my Legends of Tomorrow review and the conclusion to this alien problem!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment