Monday, November 21, 2016

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 7 Review

Guys this episode of Supergirl tho!!! Let's get into it shall we?

Okay so let's start with the James stuff. I've tried so so hard to be on board with this Guardian storyline but James bores the crap out of me and I have tried to be open to this plot cause at least it's shading him in a little more than just being Kara's love interest but it was so out of the blue. I wish the show had dropped hints least season or even the beginning of this season but they didn't so it feels like James just decided three weeks ago that he's always wanted to be a hero. I also cannot stand all the comments about how he doesn't have superpowers and it makes no sense for him to be out on the streets when we have Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow showing us that yes non-superpowered people can be heroes too. Also how cheesy was it that all it took was one episode for Kara to go from being suspicous of Guardian to approving of him. Ugh. I did like the line about how Superman worked with a vigilante with weapons and demons. Batman easter egg!!

Also irritating was Winn being the backup for James. I get that in this episode that Supergirl was a bit tied up in Cadmus but like the DEO was still functioning and Winn has a job there. I don't understand his need "to be a hero" when he's already helping out Kara and the DEO in the same way that he's helping James now.

J'onn found out that M'gann was a White Martian this episode and it threw me a little cause I expected M'gann to keep her secret for at least a few more episodes! I really liked how J'onn lost it on her in anger and how she refused to turn into her Martian form because she didn't want to be a White Martian. Their fight scene was fun to watch and I'm always in awe with the CGI the show can produce. I do have one question about this blood transfer situation. If White Martian blood in a Green Martian can turn a Green Martian into a White Martian (try saying that 10 times fast) then why would M'gann donate White Martian blood? Like I know that J'onn was dying but it's been explained outside of this show that when Martians shape-shift they shift on a cellular level so if she turned into a Green Martian, she should have had Green blood a la Miss Martian in Young Justice season 1 who changed her blood to O negative blood. I'm interested to see how this problem will be solved cause J'onn cannot turn into a White Martian. I'm also curious to see how long it'll take J'onn to forgive M'gann. 5 or 6 episodes I'm guessing.

I'm still loving how Alex's coming out storyline is progressing. I'm loving how she's fully accepted being gay and how she stood up to Maggie about how she can't be friends with her right now cause it was too fresh. Gay, straight, or bi getting rejected hurts and you need a small amount of time to move on so I really didn't like how Maggie basically guilt tripped Alex into hanging out by the end of the episode. I don't blame Maggie for rejecting Alex cause it's a stereotype of tv shows that all gay characters have to like each other which leads to the idea in real life that all gay men are into all guys or all lesbian women are into all women. Just like straight people, they can have no feelings. What I didn't like was Maggie constantly being around Alex. She should know that Alex needs time. Of course this being a tv show, Maggie being upset about Alex probably means that she does like her and Alex and Maggie will probably end up together by the end of the season.

And now onto the meat of the episode! Cadmus! I loved how Mon El tricked the guard into escaping and it was very sweet when he freaked out over seeing "J'onn" captured. I didn't know he cared that much about J'onn!! I'm also glad that they kept with the comics in that Mon is allergic to lead the same way that Kara is allergic to Kryptonite. The scene between Kara and Mon in the cells as they talked about being scared was so heartbreaking and I'm curious what he was about to say to Kara about Daxam. I feel like it'll be something like Daxam is the reason that Krypton is dead or something so Kara can be mad at him again. Cyborg Superman was awesome and I'm really glad they kept the real Hank around! I'm sure David Harewood is having fun playing two characters. Also remember how I mentioned the amazing CGI before? Well it was awesome here again when Kara melted the skin off of Hank's face and the metal appeared below it!

And speaking of returning faces, Jeremiah was here and he saved Kara and Mon. I was expecting to see him but it was strange cause he didn't look hurt or anything so he must be playing along with Cadmus. I hope we see more of him. I was also excited to see that Cadmus took Kara's blood and kept thinking Superboy (!!) which is why I was a little disappointed to see that all they did with the blood was access the Fortress of Solitude. I'm hoping they kept a little of her blood back in Cadmus and Hank only took some of it. I am curious to see what Project Medusa is. In the comics, Medusa is the Greek goddess who turns people to stone and there's also a thing known as a Medusa Mask that can be used to control emotions. I'm assuming if it is something from the comics, it'll probably be the latter. A mask to control emotions would be helpful if Cadmus is trying to make people scared of aliens!

Oh and can we take a moment to talk about how adorable the end was with Mon and Kara? I loved how Mon asked James and Winn if Kara was mated to anyone and how he tried to play it off as wanting to learn Earth customs. Neither boy was fooled. I'm so on board for Kara and Mon and I love how it was a slow build from enemies to friends to possibly something more although I think it should have taken a little longer cause it does seem kind of fast. And you know these shows suuuuuck at romance so I don't want another will-they won't-they and then they're together but then they break up.

Anyway loved this episode and I can't wait until the crossover next week!!! Who's pumped??

xoxo Allie

PS. So sorry about not writing an Arrow review last week. I ended up not being able to watch it on time and completely forgot to review it later. Here are my quick thoughts: I wasn't a huge fan of the episode because Vigilante was really lame and I can't believe Oliver is dumb enough to go for the reporter but other than that, it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment