Wednesday, October 4, 2017

New Fall 2017 Shows - Inhumans, Star Trek Discovery, The Orville

So there's a whole bunch of new shows that I was interested in checking out this fall, so many in fact that I'll probably do two posts about my thoughts on the new fall shows so without further ado, here's part 1. By now you probably know how this works but just in case there will be spoilers below!

Up first is Inhumans! When I first heard about this show I was pretty excited because I loved the Inhumans in Agents of SHIELD but then I saw the terrible first poster and then the average looking trailer and I started to be less excited but I went into the IMAX theater wanting to like this show only to wish that I hadn't spent the money and waited until it aired on tv. So much about this show didn't work for me from the world to the characters. The actor playing Black Bolt is pretty good with his facial expressions but something about the set of his mouth pulls me out of the show. Medusa literally lost her only power in the first episode and ironically Maximus aka the villain makes the most sense and it's totally understandable where he's coming from. The world was built so poorly and everything in Attilan looked so cheap and poorly made. Like the Inhumans sanctuary in SHIELD looked better! None of the characters' powers were explained well because I assume the show thinks that we'll look it up for ourselves and basically nothing happened in the second episode but the whole plot of landing on Earth and trying to find each other again was so weirdly contrived and based on the fact that Lockjaw could someone teleport one Inhuman into the same place that another died only to forgot how to do that a few minutes later and teleport the others into random parts of Hawaii. Not only do I dislike storylines where the main cast is separated and needs to meet up again but we spent so little time with this cast that we're not attached enough to care that they're separated. Ugh. I will still watch this show though despite all my problems cause it's a Marvel show that's a part of the MCU so I have to watch it. Luckily it's only like 8 episodes. I've been hearing a lot of "we need to give this show a shot cause SHIELD sucked the first half season too" but I really only struggled with the pilot of SHIELD and I loved everything we got afterwards. I am still trying to keep an open mind cause I want to love this show desperately. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 3/10 based on how much I enjoyed it and how much I loved the world.

Next up is The Orville. Surprised to see this on my list? So am I to be honest. I literally heard nothing about this show coming out and I definitely wasn't planning on watching it but then one day I was thinking about how much I'd love Adrianne Palicki to come back to SHIELD so I googled her to see what she was up to and whether she could come back only to find out that she was on this show. It sounded interesting enough so I decided to check it out. Now if you know me, you know that I'm a Star Wars person and I know literally nothing about Star Trek so I've never been into shows like this but after an okay first episode after which I thought I'd drop this show, I watched the next one and the next one because I was a little bored and suddenly I found myself loving this show. It's a hilarious parody on Star Trek and space shows but also touches on very deep and emotional plot points in a lighthearted way. I loved all the characters and the way they interact and the world that the show built. I'd definitely recommend that you check this show out and I'd give it a 8/10!

And finally my final new fall show that I'll be talking about in this post was Star Trek Discovery! Like I said earlier, I've never been a Star Trek person so I've never seen any Star Trek movie or tv show so I was not planning on checking out this show either when I first heard about it but after watching the Orville, I was curious enough to want to check out this show as well. After watching 3 episodes I'm pretty on board. I can probably tell you now that this will not be one of my favorite shows but I'm fairly entertained watching it so I decided to keep up with it. It's pretty serious and again the world is huge and fun to play around in but unlike the Orville, I seem to find myself only liking the main character Michael though I'm hoping that I'll like others as more time passes. To be honest if you want a real review, I'd go check out someone who actually is a part of the Star Trek universe because I can tell you now that other than the few obvious ones, I did not pick up on any of the Easter Eggs and actually struggled to understand what was happening more than someone who knows everything about the world we're in. Despite all that I do think it's a fun show and I'd give it a 6/10!

And that's all I have for you today! Next week is the return of the Arrowverse shows (who's excited??) so keep an eye out for my reviews!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment