Monday, October 16, 2017

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 2 Review

Tonight's episode of Supergirl was even better than the premiere! I'm still loving that for once something that happened in the previous season is actually affecting more than a few minutes in the new season! Though I do love my happy Kara, I love seeing a new Kara and I love that her sadness isn't just about Mon El but also about her Kryptonian family!

Okay let's start with Kara and how much I loved tonight's villain. Not only was I pumped that Yael was here and killing it with the acting, I loved how the villain actually played such a huge role in the story. Cause we all know that despite whatever happens, Kara will be fine and so will everyone else and that she'll catch the villain in the end so many times the villain is barely an afterthought in the episode (I can think of multiple Flash episodes like this) but tonight was how one-off villains should be written in! She was able to dig into Kara's fear when she left Krypton and then her fear of how she killed Mon El and holy hell Melissa's acting in those scenes blew me away!!

I loved that she opened up to Winn about it and I kept yelling at Winn to hug her already damn it but he didn't which threw me. Sometimes Winn (and usually James) just seems like an afterthought in this show and this was one of those moments. Like if Winn was written off, would anything change? Also straight up never tell Winn anything you don't want anyone else to know.

Speaking of, I know it led to the best scene of the night with Alex and Kara but like Alex had no right to dig into Winn like that. Speaking as a sister myself, it's not right to force someone else to tell your sibling's secret. Alex knew something was going on but instead of going to Kara, she went to Winn and then she walked right into Kara's apartment and interrupted her meditation and prayer. I have not been thrilled with how Alex has played her concern for Kara so far but all that turned around in this scene. I loved Alex listening to Kara without interrupting and then told her that she would always have Alex. And that little hopping thing she did to hug Kara? I have never seen more of a sister moment on TV than that!!! I also loved the last scene with them hugging on the couch and watching The Wizard of Oz. I've missed seeing the Danvers sisters together but I understood why we got so few of those moments last season cause both girls were in relationships.

Speaking of relationships, I think I know what's going to break up Alex and Maggie now. There was a quick mention of how Alex wants kids but Maggie doesn't and I'm not sure if it's cause I know Floriana is leaving so I've been looking for signs or what but that was a huge red flag. Also their fight about band v DJ seemed a little more heated than cute old married couple fight though it did lead to some funny moments with Winn and J'onn. I'm kind of going to really like it if the kids thing will actually break them up cause it's such a real issue with couples and it's so much more believable than the other reasons Arrowverse couples break up.

Is it just me or were there sparks between Lena and James tonight? I know some people mentioned it last week but I didn't notice anything until the end of this episode when they were saying goodbye. I was all for this storyline of Lena as CEO last week and I'm still all for it this week cause it's finally giving James SOMETHING interesting to do and I love seeing Lena as more than just Kara's best friend. The struggle with these Arrowverse shows is that so many times characters (especially female characters: looking at you Iris) go from full multidimensional characters to simply what they are to the main character aka love interest, best friend, etc. And I get it cause it's not their show but so many shows are able to write storylines for other characters so why can't I expect more from my superhero shows?

I don't like this stuff with Samantha aka Reign. I've been trying to give it a chance cause I know she's the villain and I love the idea of getting to see our Big Bad become the Big Bad but I just can't get myself to enjoy the stuff we get with her when there's so much more exciting things to see! Maybe this idea would have worked better if she had been a character since season 1 or 2 but now it's just a matter of watching to see what turns her. Also her kid is one of the dumbest I have ever seen and you know how much I hate kids on tv shows. I was watching her run onto the crime scene like I hope you die kid with how completely idiotic you are.

Next week looks like a lot of fun! It's a J'onn centric episode and those are always fun no matter how much the show has turned the Martian Manhunter into such a loser that he probably couldn't even psychically win against a baby. It's really interesting that he's bringing Kara with him but I'm more excited about meeting J'onn's dad! I hope this is the jump he needs to be the awesome hero that he can be! I can't wait to see Mars either!

Don't forget to check out my Flash review tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment