Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Flash Season 4 Episode 4 Review

After last week's review of the Flash, I was able to calm down a little from my anger towards the treatment of Wally West and though I will be forever bitter until Wally returns (and is written well!) as they say the show must go on. Luckily I was able to the watch the episode without feeling too much residual anger so I ended up liking the episode. Straight up I'm pretty sure I didn't stop laughing the whole first half of the episode. After a while though the jokes got a bit too much for me and I started to wonder how much longer the show would go on so it was a mixed bag.

Let's start with Elongated Man aka Ralph Dibny. His powers are horrifying to see done live action. I was right there alongside Joe almost vomiting every time he stretched himself out. I loved everything to do with him though from Joe freaking out over him to Caitlin wanting Barry to give him a chance. I can't decide if I like him as a character or not yet. He seems too douchey for me to really like because though I understood his frustration with Barry, he was a dick to everyone else and not in a fun way like Harry but in a creepy way. His opening scene had him hitting on a grieving woman and then he was creepy with Caitlin and Iris and ugh all the heebie jeebies. For the love of everything, DO NOT PUT HIM WITH CAITLIN OR I WILL LOSE IT. I did side with him over Barry cause ugh I can totally see young Barry as this arrogant ass who thinks he knows everything and goes around ruining people's lives. Then again, Ralph seemed to lean into this dirty cop persona throughout his time after leaving the CCPD so who knows. So many heebie jeebies!

The only problem was that I feel like the show plays kind of hard and fast with it's metas. Team Flash gave Ralph a second shot just because we know he's going to be a hero but the character didn't really do anything to earn it meanwhile someone like Hazard who didn't really mean to do anything wrong was immediately locked up when she was caught. Also Barry sitting in the dark of Ralph's office was so supervillainy that I feel like the show does this on purpose.

Speaking of Caitlin, we did a little from her tonight when she freaked out at Barry for refusing to see Ralph as anything but a villain because she knew what it was like to be a villain and wanting a second chance. I want to know more about her time away from the team and how she learned to control her Killer Frost powers and who this gang leader is that she joined and why they are so desperate to get her back though I guess the real question is do they want Caitlin or Killer Frost?

Cisco and Gypsy's dad were hilarious this episode and I could not believe that they got Danny Trejo to be on the Flash! I loved that Breacher was like I'm going to kill everyone who's dating my daughter and that Gypsy was like so resigned and not even surprised that her dad wanted to do this. Though this led to a hilarious scene, I feel like Gypsy would be more upset by this cause like what girl would be cool with her dad being THIS overprotective. I mean Cisco said it straight out, isn't it Gypsy's choice who she's with? I did enjoy the hunt through Star Labs and that in the end Cisco gained Breacher's respect by standing up for his friends. Some of the best scenes of the episode were with Harry and Cisco. I died when Harry tried to pump up Cisco but then was all don't even look at Jessie and then when Cisco was packing to hide from Breacher and Harry was like trying to pep him up while also nodding off on stuff Cisco was taking.

Quick thing about the tone of the show. Like I said before I did laugh a whole lot during this episode but honestly it's starting to feel like a parody of itself now with how utterly campy it's gotten. A light tone and joking shouldn't make a show feel like a joke itself. Even Legends doesn't feel this way and I'm not sure what it is but whatever it is, the show needs to dial it down a little. I know we're watching a superhero show but I don't want to be taken out every time something utterly silly happens.

Next week looks awesome. Felicity is on the show and it looks like it's the bachelor/bachelorette episode and it looks hilarious. Quick question though why would Iris bring Cecile with her? Like I know Iris doesn't have any friends outside of Team Flash and Felicity but her dad's girlfriend really? Also that reminds me, Iris has this running this where she talks about how hot Oliver is and Barry is always like seriously Iris and Caitlin played along tonight and I couldn't stop grinning. Felicity is a lucky girl. I'd pick Stephen Amell over Grant Gustin any time any place lol.

Tune in Thursday for my Arrow review!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment