Monday, October 30, 2017

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 4 Review

This was such an intense episode of Supergirl and I enjoyed it so much. My first thought was that this episode felt so strange and different from anything we've seen in not only Supergirl but any of the Arrowverse shows but when I thought about it a little longer it didn't feel so strange after all. The season was the perfect time to air this episode because not only did this episode's tone fit the darker tone of this season but it also fit the theme of Kara deciding who she wants to be now and whether she is human at all.

First of all I just want to give all the props. This episode played with religion so well and it didn't have to resort to any cheap tricks. I loved that the villain of the episode wasn't really even a villain and that Kara couldn't save the day by punching someone. I loved that his faith wasn't shaken even after everything and I loved how the episode ended by showing us J'onn and Mry'nn praying as well as Kara with her hologram mother.

The scene where Kara went to stop the bomb from going off was so cool and so different. I loved how there was Kryptonite in it and that it depowered Kara enough so that she could show the followers that she was no God and that she could bleed like all of them. Though I did chuckle with how quickly the followers ran away cause they clearly didn't believe as strongly as our villain. I also loved how she ended up solving the problem though I don't think dropping a bomb into the Earth was a great plan ultimately. I'm also glad the show explained how these followers actually got the words of Rao cause I was confused about that in the beginning.

I still don't give a single shit about Samantha and Ruby. I'm warming up to Samantha as a character but I could still do without giving her storylines or screentime to be honest. Every episode Ruby just seems like more of a brat. What child her age doesn't understand that her mother is busy and that it's hard running a company?? Like I get that Ruby is probably used to more time with her mom but she's old enough to understand that things are different now. Samantha is literally running a company! I did enjoy the girls night that Kara had though. It's nice to see Kara hang out with girl friends especially since none of the other Arrowverse shows allow their female characters to have friends let alone girl friends outside of their boyfriends.

PS I still miss Mon El and I'm glad that neither the show or Kara have forgotten about him yet cause that was my fear. I still have an oogy feeling that their reunion won't be a happy one based on what I've heard/read.

My favorite scene of the episode had to go to Alex tonight. I loved that she was the one to break down this week so that Kara could comfort her. I also liked the explanation that Alex gave about loving Maggie so much that she wanted to suppress her want for children cause it totally explains why she kept dodging the question of whether she wanted kids and agreeing with Maggie without telling Maggie the truth when clearly she disagreed. I wonder if this is it for them next week. I wish the show would explain why Maggie is so hell bent on not having children. Why must Alex be the one to compromise?

Oh also it looks like James and Winn are still doing their Guardian stuff. And here I was hoping James had dropped that last season. Sigh.

The promo for next week was a bit confusing until I read the synopsis. It looks like something poisons the water of National City and Morgan Edge blaims Lena's lead bomb. First of all thrilled to see another Lena centric episode and secondly so glad to see Morgan Edge again! I'm loving that this season there are so many more episodes centered around supporting characters cause it gives our supporting characters more dimensions! I have been ranting and complaining about The Flash and how it treats it's supporting cast so I'm thrilled by this.

Tune in tomorrow for my Flash review. Here's hoping I'll be less bitter with it!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment