Monday, October 9, 2017

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 1 Review

I'm so excited that we're back you guys! Something about the Arrowverse shows always lifts my spirits and I enjoy every moment. Even the lows of these shows are highs compared to many other shows! Let's jump into a pretty damn epic season 3 premiere!

Okay there is so much I loved about this season premiere that I don't even know where to begin!!! I loved dark Kara and seeing how losing Mon El changed her. Melissa's depiction of a grieving Kara was perfect and I loved how different it was from the normal happy Kara and the Red Kryptonite Kara and even that it was so distinct from brooding Oliver and angsty Barry. It could have been so easy to see a similar Kara who lost her Mon El to the Barry from the future who lost his Iris but I loved how Kara stayed true to herself and unlike Barry who completely shut down, Kara turned off her emotions and focused on saving the world. Props show.

Also was anyone else surprised with how much Mon El we got in the premiere? Honestly after the finale and Mon El's disappearance, I was not expecting to see Chris Wood at all this season but then when he came with the Supergirl cast to SDCC I assumed that meant that he would be in the show eventually but probably not until the second half of the season. I'm not complaining whatsoever though cause the more Chris and Mon El, the better for me!!

I liked that we caught up with a grieving Kara and that we didn't just skip straight to her moving on from Mon El because that wouldn't have felt as real to me. I also liked the ending where she finally decided to feel again and the slow build to it the episode had but I can't decide if I thought the loss and return of Kara Danvers was too fast or not. I'm going to assume (and hope!) that Kara will struggle with this the whole season or at least until Mon El returns so I'll give it a pass.

I'm also super interested to see what this new villain for Lena will be like. I love that Katie is a series regular this season because now we get to really dive in deep with Lena's character. I'm so excited to see a little bit more of CEO Lena and I'm thrilled that Lena gets her own villain because you know me and how much I love when shows give storylines to supporting characters that run parallel to the main storylines. Also I love Adrian Pasdar and I'm pumped he's here to stay!

I also liked that we saw more of James in CatCo cause as you know I was not a huge fan of the Guardian last season and my favorite James episode was the one where he saved the day as James and we actually spent time with him at CatCo. Honestly if any character is extraneous, it's him and I don't want to say that but he brought nothing to the team last season so I hope that we get to see more of him with a good storyline this season.

Winn was great in the background moments we got from him. Still hoping he dumps Lyra and finds a better girl.

Okay can we take a moment now and talk about how my heart melted when Alex asked J'onn to walk her down the aisle? I almost started crying it was so sweet. I'm interested to see what happens with Maggie and Alex and whether they actually will get married this season cause Floriana has decided to leave the show so either they'll get married and she'll pop in and out of Supergirl or the marriage will not go through and she'll die or Sanvers will break up in which case the internet might just skewer the show and the cast and crew. I'm glad the show explained why Alex was iffy about the wedding (and in a good way that totally made sense) even though her hesitation felt really strange and out of nowhere cause not only was Alex the one to propose but it was the first scene we got with the girls discussing their marriage. It might have been better to save that conversation until next week or the week after so that the audience could see more of the struggle Alex was feeling instead of us just being told the struggle was happening off screen.

We also met Reign and though we didn't get much, from the moment we met her daughter, I expected her to die in the attack and that it would lead to Reign hating Supergirl. When the daughter was saved, I was kind of pleasantly surprised that we avoided that cliche but based on the final scene, it seems more like the attack woke up the World Killer inside of her and that she was programmed to hate Kryptonians. I don't know how I feel about yet but I am excited to see where this goes.

Next week is the Yael Grobglas episode and it looks like Yael is some sort of psychic villain and has a bit of Scarecrow-like powers which should be very fun! I wonder if J'onn will play a big role in defeating her though the show has severely diminished his powers (every single time he has to find someone they're always telepathically cloaked like give me a break already!) When they talked about what Supergirl feared, my first thought was the death of her family which led me to think of how it would be seriously funny if we saw a hallucination of Mon El like every episode until he returns.

Either way I'm thrilled we're finally back and I can't wait until next week! Season 3 is starting off great. Keep a weather eye on the horizon for my Flash and Legends of Tomorrow review tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment