Monday, October 23, 2017

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 3 Review

That was not fair Supergirl. You did not prepare me for how much I was going to cry tonight!!! This has to be one of the best episodes of Supergirl yet. I always feel as though the bottle episodes are stronger than most of the others and where Flash is strongest with the Wests and Arrow is strongest with the original trio, Supergirl is strongest when it focuses on family.

This slightly darker tone is really benefiting the show and allowing it to play around in new worlds that we previously couldn't explore without it feeling out of place. This season is about Kara rediscovering what it means to be human and to relive her pain of losing her whole world and this episode played so nicely into that theme while putting the spotlight on different characters.

Let's start with the Maggie and her dad storyline. First of all, what a terrible horrible father. I will never understand how families cannot love each other unconditionally so from the beginning I was predisposed to dislike Maggie's father. I cannot even imagine the pain that Maggie has gone through and this was the first time we learned the whole story and wow did it make me tear up. Maggie is so so very strong for being able to live through what she did and even more than that, learn to thrive because I don't know that I would be strong enough to do the same. The show played her father as not the worst and I can understand that Maggie still loved him but I just couldn't see him as anything other than horrible. Because of this, I wondered if I would be okay if they reconciled but when he did come to the bridal shower and took out that baby photo of Maggie and kissed it, I'm not going to lie I started to cry and I so wanted them to work things out. Unfortunately this didn't happen and I still don't really understand why her father hates her being a lesbian so much. It seemed than he was more upset with Maggie choosing a harder life for herself than he wanted (as if it's a choice and not the way she was born) rather than an actual uncomfort with her being gay. The episode ended without them patching things up and I kind of am a little glad for it because Maggie deserves better.

This episode made me love Maggie and now I'm going to be heartbroken when they break up so damn you show! They touched on the kids v no kids topic again and Alex is still lying about being okay with not having kids. She needs to tell Maggie the truth because who knows but maybe just maybe Maggie would change her mind or compromise. By hiding the way she feels and pushing it down, it's just going to all rush out at the worst time!

The other storyline in this episode dealt with J'onn and finding his father Mry'nn to be alive and guys this whole storyline had me sobbing like a baby. Can we get a slow clap for David Harewood and his amazing acting this episode? From the anxious excitement that J'onn felt when he realized that his father was alive to the heartbreak in his face when Mry'nn refused to believe him all the way to the scene where Mry'nn realized that he really was J'onn was beyond perfect. I cried and cried when J'onn showed Mry'nn his memory of his birthday and when Mry'nn sobbed his apology to J'onn for not believing who he was. Oh man that just wasn't fair. I love that J'onn brought Mry'nn back to Earth with him and hopefully that means we'll see more of him!

The White Martian Resistance was actually pretty full of assholes which was super surprising. The fact that they had no qualms about killing Mry'nn to save themselves was real strange cause didn't they want to be better than the White Martians who killed all the Green Martians? I guess that the point of all that was to show an arc to the end where the White Martians gave the Staff to Kara and J'onn and decided that they wanted to be different.

Oh and also one of the best parts of the episode was J'onn's shape-shifting car and that scene where Kara drove it into the cave to distract the White Martians by pretending she was lost. It was very reminiscent of old Kara. I love the arc that Kara is going through this season and how real and mature she's depicted to be in this season.

The promo for next week looks fascinating! There seems to be a Supergirl worshipping cult that was formed which is literally one of the most interesting ideas that not just this show but any of the Arrowverse shows has tried. It fits in perfectly with the theme of who is Kara this season and whether she can still be human or if she's better than that. I can't wait to see how the episode goes!

Don't forget to check out my Flash review tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment