Monday, March 11, 2019

Arrow Season 7 Episode 15 Review

This was a really fun episode of Arrow and one that probably should have come earlier since it was all about Team Arrow clashing with the SCPD but I guess since it was just Oliver until now it was better to wait until all of Team Arrow was on board to do this type of episode.

Before we start, we should talk about the elephant in the room which is the fact that season 8 will be the final season of Arrow and that it will be 10 episodes long. I'm of two minds on this cause I really don't want Arrow to end as it is my favorite of the Arrowverse shows but on the other hand, I'm glad we get a planned conclusion so that we can get a well written end to this amazing show. Those ten episodes better bring back everyone that's alive or that we can like the 100th and 150th episode did!

As I said the main focus of this episode was the clash between the way SCPD does things and the way Team Arrow did. I was actually really surprised to find out that the mayor wanted the vigilantes to actually work as police officers cause I expected them to be more of a task force or like detectives so this episode was an eye opener. Also Oliver was allowed to wear his costume before but now the mayor banned it? I can't get a read on her cause she wavers between doing really obnoxious things and being a good person and I debated for a while if the show wanted her to be kind of minor antagonist but I think she's mostly just a bitch who apparently was best friends with a guy who was selling chemical weapons. I did love that Dinah was able to blackmail her into giving Team Arrow everything they wanted which was great and pretty much brings us back to status quo only now everything our crew is doing is legal and the villains will be arrested at the end. On the other hand, it kind of negated the whole point of this episode cause if we ended up doing exactly what Oliver and co wanted, why spend an episode debating how to follow the SCPD?

Also sidebar but this really didn't do any favors as to why the citizens of Star City should trust the police. Their policy in the field was terrible (even I could see that and I have no experience) and their computer system was so god awful. I was wondering if it would have been funny or not if Felicity ended up buying much better tech for that department and then that made me wonder once again how much money Oliver and Felicity had. I mean Oliver probs still has his trust fund after being ousted as CEO in season 2 and I assume Felicity got some sort of severance package from Palmer Tech after they ousted her in season 4 so a nice little nest egg?

As I expected Dinah can no longer Canary Cry which super sucks cause she was the only one on the team with powers and now she doesn't have them anymore which makes her and Rene basically the same in terms of character. Technically Diggle too but he's special so he doesn't exactly count. I did love the idea of the villains having chemical weapons and I kind of wished this was a Dante story arch rather than a weekly villain one cause how much more of a threat would he become if he started using this kind of weapon? I also don't really think we should be having episodes without any Dante since we're so close to the end and we still barely know anything about Dante and his plan and Emiko.

Speaking of Emiko, it turns out she's the one who killed Diaz in prison which was actually a surprise to me cause for some reason I didn't think of her last week when I was trying to decide who did it. I definitely knew it was someone working for Diaz but I thought it might be a Longbow Hunter. With this murder I think we're supposed to assume that Emiko really is a bad person. I was thinking she might be similar to season 3 Thea who was sort of manipulated into believing that Malcolm was a good guy and had her best wishes at heart but I don't think Thea ever killed someone on Malcolm's order. We also can't handwave this death away cause the show was making SUCH a big deal of Felicity wanting to kill him so we have to assume that season 1 murder logic doesn't count here anymore. I would say it's interesting that she knew who Laurel was but I think it's probs really obvious how she knows who Laurel is cause girl worked with Diaz who worked with Dante who's somehow related to Emiko so I'm sure he gave her all the details about everyone surrounding Oliver.I did like the confrontation though even if after Emiko was like who would believe you over me Black Siren my brain was like dude Felicity and Laurel are best friends so of course she'd believe you. Also Oliver and Brick are kind of bros so.

It was nice seeing Brick again though I still wish he had been part of the Ghost Initiative or whatever they were called especially if the reason he wasn't on it was because the actor was busy or they couldn't afford it since the Ghost Initiative was only in like 3 episodes. He did more during Oliver's prison arc.

Felicity and Oliver were precious this week cause I was living for pregnant Felicity and her constant cravings and I kind of hope this is an ongoing joke throughout the rest of the season. I also love how much Oliver lights up every time they talk about the baby or being pregnant. It was also super sweet when they told Diggle about the pregnancy and how happy he was for them too and how he brought Felicity ginger snaps like Lyla ate (lol way to not keep the secret to yourself Diggle though I'm sure Oliver and Felicity knew Lyla would know too given the whole married thing.) It also makes sense so far for Oliver and Felicity not to say anything about the pregnancy cause if Felicity isn't showing yet that means she's less than three months pregnant and most pregnant people don't say anything until at least 3 months cause there's a greater chance of miscarriage before then.

It's also interesting cause if we say that the show is running concurrently with our time now then the baby would be born sometime in September or October which is about the time that Arrow will be returning with its final season. It's also possible that Arrow will slow down their time so that the baby won't be born until right around the crossover in November or December cause the only way that I can imagine that Oliver and Felicity don't tell Dinah, Roy/Thea and Rene about their baby is if Oliver dies in the crossover and then Felicity leaves Star City to go to Vegas where her mom is or something.

And with that let's jump to the flash forwards which were boring again this week and we didn't really learn anything new. Mia and William spent the episode trying to find a cassette player and it was very similar to the Flash scene where Ralph and Barry went to the underground black market. I will never understand why characters like William or Barry won't just sit still when they're told to. Clearly Mia knows what she's doing in a place like this and what makes you think you're smarter when you've never been here or in Star City for that matter? I still hope that these flash forwards are some sort of red herring or will be changed after the crossover. I would love if this was the future after Oliver was killed by the Monitor in the original timeline but he survives somehow and the future changes cause damn it all but of all the shows, Arrow deserves a happy ending for it's cast cause they're the parent show of this universe and deserve to go out in glory.

Well throw all my predictions out the window cause the promo for next week was all about Felicity giving birth to Mia. The synopsis makes it sound like this will all happen as a flashback for Mia in the future which makes sense cause why would Arrow suddenly jump 7 or 8 months forward in time. At the same time showing Mia's birth through flashbacks in the flash forwards is the weirdest way to take this pregnancy storyline and once again leads me back to the idea that this future will not happen. I really hate these flash forwards honestly cause they're sucking all the fun out of the current day story! Also if we're supposed to fix Nora's future in the Flash, Mia and William deserve to have a better future too!

I'll see you all tomorrow for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment