Friday, March 1, 2019

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED Bring It On, Ghost (16/16): A cohabitation comedy about a ghost of a high school girl who has been dead for 5 years and an exorcist college boy with the ability to see and hear ghosts. What he’s discovered over the years is that he can touch them and fight them off, so when he’s in need of a part-time job and can’t find one that pays well enough, he starts putting ads online as an exorcist for hire. His ad: “Will face off with your ghosts. Chances of winning: virgin ghosts 80%, bachelor ghosts 40%, child ghosts 97%, the rest 50%.” One night he goes out on the job and faces off with a schoolgirl ghost, and during the fight, they accidentally kiss and sparks fly.

What a strange show guys! I started this one hoping to find something like The Ghost Detective and though it had some similarities, this was mostly a comedy which ironically I should have known if I read the synopsis. I thought it was fun overall but because it was so silly there was nothing for me to really sink my teeth into and I enjoyed myself but for some reason it was at a distance. I did find the main couple to be super adorable and I loved them at every stage of their relationship from their bickering to their awkwardness to the sweetness. I loved that they fought ghosts together and it gave each episode a fun arc and I like the twist that Hyun Ji was actually alive the whole time but it was a little annoying that she forgot everything when she woke up. The mom's dislike of Bong Pal was also super weird cause it's not like he did anything creepy when she was around and he was just as friendly as Professor Joo was and she was like all over Hyun Ji spending time with him. Speaking of, Joo was such a creep from start to finish but I liked him as a villain and I'm glad that he survived at the end despite having the evil spirit exorcised cause I was worried that Bong Pal or Hyun Ji would be framed for his murder. Overall I'd give this show a 8.5 / 10.
    FINISHED Healer (20/20): Seo Jung Hoo is a special kind of night courier, known only as "Healer". For the right price and with the help of a genius hacker, he gets his clients whatever they want, as long as it doesn't involve murder. His latest job leads him to a second-rate tabloid writer, Chae Young Shin and the successful reporter, Kim Moon Ho. He begins to uncover the mystery of a shared past with the two reporters, putting them all in danger.

      After watching The K2 earlier in the week, I kept hearing over and over that though The K2 was fun, Healer was much much better and that I had to watch this one but after checking this one out, I'm disappointed to say that once again the hype was too much. I did enjoy myself overall but I felt like this show had an extremely slow and boring start, there weren't nearly enough scenes of Ji Chang Wook being broody and badass, the villains weren't as cunning or well-rounded as I would have liked and the romance did nothing for me until like episode 14. It drove me mad that no one told Young Shin the truth until like almost the end of the show and there was no logical reason to do so other than men are morons. Despite this I did enjoy Young Shin's character cause she was so tenacious and able to put clues together on her own and level-headed for the most part but it sucked that she wasn't clued in earlier. It was because of this that I couldn't enjoy the romance either. I really don't like hidden identity romances and I would have preferred if she found out Jung Hoo's identity as Healer much earlier and it wasn't until she found out the truth about him and then her that I really started to enjoy their romance. I also kind of wish there was more Team Healer moments where the whole crew worked together and that Moon Hoo had more moments with Jung Hoo and Young Shin as a found family situation. The villains as I mentioned were super boring and I really didn't care for them or understand them that much but my favorite part of the show was obviously the scheming our team did and the plans they went through to take down the bad guys even if they were pretty one-note. Overall I'd give this show a 7 / 10.
      FINISHED Oh My Venus (16/16): Kim Yeong Ho is a personal trainer for Hollywood stars. He reluctantly comes back to Korea to face his family after a scandal with an actress. Even though he comes from a wealthy family background, he suffered a devastating injury during his childhood days. Now, he overcomes his problems with living a healthy lifestyle. Kang Joo Eun is a 33-year-old lawyer who was once the beauty of her school, nicknamed "Daegu's Venus". Over the years she has become overweight and unhealthy. She gets dumped by her boyfriend of 15 years. Kang Joo Eun meets Kim Yeong Ho, who agrees to be her personal trainer to help her get healthier. As they work on her physical transformation, they both discover they have feelings for each other. As they grow closer, they heal each other's emotional wounds and fall in love.

      Even though I don't really love So Ji Sub as an actor (he's too stoic for my taste), I kept hearing the chemistry between our mains was great so I jumped in. Overall I had a fun time and I was honestly pretty surprised with how I never got bored even though if I actually think back on it, there wasn't much plot for the show. I was a little surprised that the ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend weren't the villains of this show cause part of me was hoping for them to get their due but instead they made up with Joo Eun and were able to get a semblance of a happy ending. I did love the main couple and their antics and I did agree that Yeong Ho and Joo Eun had tons of chemistry but my favorite thing about them was how they actually had an adult relationship where they didn't just kiss and then freak out over any physical contact since but actually acted like they were together. It was hilarious that Yeong Ho was the one who kept stopping them from sleeping together unlike most dramas but also that it was a little more of a joke and that it was really timing that stopped them. I didn't love the whole thing at the end of the drama where he refused to let Joo Eun be with him through his accident cause part of me understood where he was coming from but most of me was pissed as hell that he literally cut off all contact for a year and didn't even call or text her while he was hurt and even more annoying was that they restarted their relationship without bringing up this conversation once. On another note my favorite thing about this drama might just be Henry Lau playing Ji Woong who was the most adorable precious human being and I was living every time he was on screen. I also really loved Joon Sung but I wasn't a huge fan of his romance. I'd give this show a 8.5 / 10!
      Romance Is A Bonus Book (10/16): Cha Eun Ho is a successful and handsome writer who is also the youngest chief editor at a publishing company. He has a calm demeanor and remains reasonable at work. He then becomes involved in the life of his childhood friend, Kang Dan Yi who was once a popular copywriter. She is now divorced, a single mother, unemployed and struggling in life though still attempts to find a job, but even with her once good career, she cannot. However, in a desperate attempt to find a job, she lies about her background and begins to work as a temporary worker in the same building under none other than Cha Eun Ho. As they become involved in each other’s life more than often, a love story begins to unfold.

      You know what I'll never understand about asian dramas? Why everyone are morons about seeing other people's feelings. Like Dan Yi is like in her late 30s and has existed in the world long enough that she shouldn't be a fish out of water anytime anything romantic comes up. Eun Ho all but said that he loved her and she spent all of episode 9 wandering around wondering what on God's Earth he could mean and I'm sitting here like you complete dumbass. And then in episode 10 Eun Ho's talking about how he has to hold back sometimes and she's like what are you holding back like she's never dated before in her life. This kind of naive trope only works for me when the mains are supposed to be in school and it's like their first dating experience and even then it's a stretch! Why can't we ever have a female lead who's smart enough to read a situation correctly? I still don't like the romance cause I'm still not feeling any chemistry between our leads and despite the fact that they kissed this week, I still feel like Dan Yi sees Eun Ho like a brother and seriously what is up with her? She will literally fall for any guy that tells her he likes her. She decided she liked Seo Joon after he told her and then she decided she liked Eun Ho now. It's a little ridiculous. I still don't like Seo Joon as a character and I just find everything he does to be super pretentious and he comes off creepy and I don't know why.
      FINISHED The K2 (16/16): Kim Je Ha is a former soldier for hire. He is also called K2. He is hired as a bodyguard by Choi Yoo Jin. Yoo Jin is the wife of a presidential candidate and the daughter of a chaebol family. Meanwhile, Ko An Na is the secret daughter of the presidential. She is also a recluse.

      I love love love when I fall in love with a new drama and that's what happened here! I went into this to watch Ji Chang Wook be all hot and broody but I was hesitant cause I kept hearing that this drama wasn't very good and that the main couple sucked and that the only good thing was the villain but I actually disagree with this! I adored the world this show built and how it was basically the story of Snow White. Jae Ha was super hot obviously and he was amazing in his fight scenes but I loved Anna too despite popular opinion. I know that she wasn't the most badass and that she got played by the villains a lot but Anna was locked up her whole life with everyone lying to her and yet I still thought she had this inner strength that helped her face all the tragedies in her life while still being kind and positive. In fact it was super obvious that she was supposed to be a young Yoo Jin only Yoo Jin chose power while Anna chose love and family and forgiveness. It's what made Jae Ha fall for her too! I adored the relationship between Jae Ha and Anna and how much they wanted to protect each other in their own ways and how while Je Ha found the one person he cared about after being adrift for so long, Anna found the one person who would put her above everything else. The villains were amazing in this show too from Yoo Jin who you couldn't help but pity at times (even though she created her own mess) to Gwan Soo who was truly mustache twirling evil to Seong Won who you couldn't read until he played his cards. I even loved the politics in this which was a first cause I expected to want to fast forward a lot of it! And let's not forget Se Joon who I could never decide if he was a shitty father or one between a rock and a hard place. He did love Anna but at the same time he loved power more cause if he really loved Anna, he would have run away with her after her mom died. The ending with pretty much everyone dying and Jae Ha and Anna releasing Kumargate before moving to Spain was so beautiful cause karma hit all those evil people in the asses while giving the only two people who deserved it a happy ending. Overall I adored this show and I'd give it a 9.5 / 10!
      Touch Your Heart (8/16): Oh Yoon Seo is a popular actress. She is famous for her beautiful appearance, but her acting is bad. She gets involved in a scandal with the son from a chaebol family. Her acting career declines precipitously. Oh Yoon Seo hears that a famous screenwriter wants her to play the lead female role for a drama series. The character works as a secretary for a lawyer. To gain experience for the role, Oh Yoon Seo is required to work as a lawyer's secretary for a few months. Meanwhile, Kwon Jung Rok is an attorney for a law firm. He is arrogant and cold-hearted. One day, his boss asks Kwon Jung Rok to let actress Oh Yoon Seo work as his secretary for 6 months. He is not happy about the situation, but he has to accept.

      Goodness this show is such a weird mix of adorable and cringe! I feel so much second-hand embarrassment towards the things that Yoon Seo does that I end up having to skip scenes cause I'm so uncomfortable (that's not a knock on the show but the kind of person I am) but the romance is just so precious that I'm so in love. I love how open and honest our mains are especially Jung Rok who knows that he's not good at dating and makes a lot of mistakes but admits to them readily in such an earnest way that we all including Yoon Seo just fall for him more! It was adorable watching him try to figure out why Yoon Seo was so upset with him and then how to confess to her by trying to write a love letter than turned out sounding like a memo before giving up and just saying what he meant. I do think that Yoon Seo should perhaps lower her expectations just slightly or at least say something to him when she's upset about why she's upset given how much Jung Rok is open to changing the way he acts. Their first kiss was a bit disappointing cause it was too much bug eyed omg what is happening type of kiss which was understandable for their first kiss but then Jung Rok kisses her again and it's more of the same. Hopefully if there's more kissing in the future it's better cause these kinds of kisses make me super uncomfortable cause it always makes me feel like someone's not down with the kiss.

      xoxo Allie

      No comments:

      Post a Comment