Thursday, February 9, 2017

More New Winter 2017 TV Shows - Riverdale, Poldark and Legion

As promised here are my thoughts on some more new Winter tv shows that I checked out! I tried to avoid spoilers!

So first up, let's talk about Riverdale! To tell you the truth, I wanted to watch this show for one reason and that reason was Cole Sprouse. I loved him growing up and I was super excited to see that he's back to acting after finishing school so of course I was going to watch whatever he was in cause you know I like to give shows with my favorite actors a shot even if they don't look that interesting (cough Conviction cough). Now you're probably wondering whether I was a fan of Archie and to tell you the truth, I only knew a little cause I was only able to read the Archie Digest in grocery store lines but I knew the basic premise. Now, two episodes in, I have to say, I don't think I'm a huge fan of this show but I didn't hate it enough to stop watching. It falls in where shows like the Fosters fall where I'm interested enough to binge the whole season once it airs but not so much that I'd watch every week. Maybe it's because I'm older now or maybe it's because I haven't watched a teen drama/high school world show in a while but this show was so cringy for me. It was cheesy and cliche and I'm sorry but I'm literally only interested in Jughead and the murder mystery. I care so very little for the rest of the cast which is probably the worst way to watch a show but I will be still continuing it so maybe in the future, I will warm up to the others... The triangle is boring already (and it's only episode 2), I hate teacher/student storylines with a passion cause they always come off creepy not romantic and I can already tell I'm going to be bored in the adult storyline world. I will say that the second episode was better than the first and the third looks more interesting than the previous two. I'm sorry that I didn't have a more positive viewing of this show so I'd give it a 4/10. Do check it out if you want a show that's a mix of Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries.

This was a show that I never really planned on watching because unlike most BBC shows, I had not heard a lot about this one other than the fact that the main character, played by Aiden Turner, was smoking hot (and he was) but after watching Victoria, I decided to give this one a go. I binged both seasons in a week and after all that, I'm not sure how I feel. If I had written this post after season 1 or even midway through season 2, I would have nothing bad to say and I would have ranted and raved about how great this show was but the second half of season 2 did air and I did watch it and it soured me a little to this show. Before I get into spoilers, let me do a quick non-spoilery review. The scenery is amazing, Demelza is literally the best and Ross is amazing when he's not being a complete and utter ass. I enjoyed watching the villain be outwitted over and over and seeing how much family means in this show. The mining plot gets a little boring after awhile but it's fun sometimes too. I'd give this show a 7/10: 8/10 for season 1 and 6/10 for season 2.

Now let's do spoilers. If you haven't see this show yet, please stop and come back when you have. Soooo if you know me at all, you know how much I hate when people have affairs while they're married. It's not drama, it's just annoying and I have no sympathy for the cheater. Turn: Washington's Spies and Reign both played with this and it took away from my enjoyment. The fact that Ross could not choose between the two girls and then never apologized to Demelza for being a dick really pissed me off. And then he went around brooding about how Demelza wouldn't forgive him. SHE CAN'T IF YOU NEVER APOLOGIZE! I was glad though when they worked it out because despite everything, I do love him and them together. The other thing that surprised me about this show was how quickly Ross and Demelza got married, like it was four episodes in and that the rest of the show was less about them falling in love but more about Ross being a dick and not realizing how much he loved Demelza. Also was it just me or was Elizabeth literally the worst? She whined and whined about how she had to marry Francis and I was like girl you're the one who refused to wait for Ross and had no patience (TWICE). And then Francis died and she was all let me pinch my cheeks and fluff my hair and flirt with a goddamn MARRIED MAN. And then she slept with Ross and was all whiny about how he wouldn't leave his wife for her. Girl get it together please. I liked her during season 1 but then she lost any affection I had for her in season 2. But like I said, I did overall enjoy this show and I will be watching season 3 whenever it comes out!

So I love X-Men and Marvel and superheroes so when I heard that there was going to be a tv show with mutants I was really excited but then I found out what the show was about and I was worried cause it didn't sound like something I was interested in. I prefer my superhero shows to land somewhere from Supergirl light to Agents of SHIELD dark, no more no less. You know I've got problems with the Netflix shows and that really boils down to one thing, the darkness. Superheroes are fun not gritty and I really don't like when shows/movies double down on the darkness cause that's not what I'm attracted to this world and unfortunately because of that Legion was not my cup of tea. I'm sure there are people out there that will be into the show but I will not be continuing this show. I'm so sorry. I did not like the main character and I did not like the plot of the show. I couldn't even get through the whole episode without changing the channel. I know I should give this show at least three episodes cause pilots are always rough but honestly not a single thing kept me interested and without any interest in the show, I cannot convince myself to continue. Most shows even if I'm not a huge fan of them, I can at least find something interesting and unfortunately that was not the case here. I'd give this show a 1/10....

And that wraps up my thoughts on the second batch of new winter tv shows that either aired now or I watched recently. Thanks for tuning in and let me know if any of you are watching any of these shows!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment