Monday, March 20, 2017

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 16 Review

Tonight's Supergirl episode wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be. I was so excited to learn about Mon El and his life on Daxam but we barely got any information that we didn't already know and I hoping that this is because we'll see more in future episodes. Let's jump in shall we?

So like we all saw coming Mon El was the prince of Daxam (duh) and his parents came to get him back and Kara got mad at him for lying and the queen convinced Kara that she should convince Mon El to return with them and that was it. Seriously. That was it. We already guessed that Mon El was the prince so no surprise there and we already knew that Daxam wasn't the best planet so no surprise there. I was hoping that we would see more of Mon El's backstory and what kind of royalty his family was and why he told Kara that if he ever saw his father again that he would run. I wanted to learn about how the King and Queen escaped and why they think Daxamites are spread out across the universe. I do like that the way they found Mon El was because of the distress beacon he sent in the first episode. I really really really hope we get to understand more of their plans in the future cause I highly doubt that they're leaving or that their big plan is to reform Daxam.

I also didn't like the stuff with Mon El and Kara this week. I understand why Kara was angry with Mon El cause he did lie but I was not a fan of how despite saying otherwise she was so stubborn in her belief that she was right that she didn't even bother listening to Mon El about why he lied or trying to see it from his perspective. I should have expected this because when it comes to Mon El, Kara always jumps to conclusions and she has the emotional maturity of a high schooler. I also was not a fan of how when given the change to explain his reasons for lying, Mon El just talked about how she saw the good in him and how he loved her (which was cute but still). I'm hoping this is because we'll hear more in future episodes. From what I can gather, Mon El hid who he was because he was ashamed of who he used to be. I really hope we get more of his backstory and what his relationship with his parents were. Honestly Kara shouldn't be that pissed because she hid who she was from the world and if anyone understands, it should have been her.

The other storyline of this episode was with Lyra and Winn. I liked that we gave Lyra more of a backstory and more substance than just a hot alien girl but I don't know if I liked this storyline. Lyra was conning guys to steal paintings for this alien gang cause they were blackmailing her with her brother. I was glad that Lyra's feelings weren't fake and that she really did care for Winn and that she wasn't just using him. I was also glad that unlike Kara Winn was able to see Lyra's side of the story and forgave her. It was fun seeing the parallels between Winn and Lyra and Kara and Mon El.

The set up for the musical crossover with the Flash was short but got me pumped for the episode. Music Meister appeared and zonked out Kara and then used that dimension hopper thing Cisco made to go to Earth 1 to find Barry. I heard that in the crossover Kara and Barry are supposed to be learning lessons about something and that Iris and Mon El will be a couple in the music world so that's one of the reasons why I think they refused to let Kara listen to Mon El this week so that both Karamel and Westallen could go into the world broken up cause both couples had pretty lame break ups in their last episode before the crossover.

I didn't watch Supergirl live tonight so I wasn't able to see the promo for the next episode. But the musical crossover looks amazing and I can't wait for tomorrow night!

Don't forget to tune in for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment