Monday, April 9, 2018

Arrow Season 6 Episode 18 Review

Tonight's episode of Arrow was really really good and I very much enjoyed every single moment of the episode but I'm not entirely sure if I like where we ended up. I've been wondering all season what the endgame for this whole team split storyline is and whether we can even go back and now I'm more confused cause it seems like we've reached a verdict but since we're still a few episodes out from the finale, I can't decide if this is one of those Oliver comes to a wrong decision before coming to the right one again.

So this episode was very Oliver-centric with few characters popping in and out and I really enjoyed it. I've been so sick of the recruits recently and I've been begging the show to give me more Queen family moments so I was thrilled tonight. I know we're watching Arrow which is a superhero show so we need to focus on the crime fighting but some of my favorite episodes of Arrow have been more of the character focused ones. I adore seeing Oliver and Felicity and William being a family and I love every bonding moment we see between William and Felicity and how on board William is now with Oliver being the Green Arrow. I grinned from ear to ear when William eavesdropped on Felicity on the phone with Quentin and how he brought her sneakers to chase down Oliver with and how he forgave Oliver almost immediately after finding out what really happened.

Also like I called it last week, I did not believe that Felicity would have left Oliver tonight cause honestly if she didn't leave him any of the other times he was wrong (especially after their breakup when she was still business as usual), why would she leave now? I had heard that this episode contained Oliver hallucinating so the moment Felicity appeared in the bunker and was like we need space I called bull. It was such a Oliver fearing the worst moment cause she wouldn't want to divorce him just because he yelled at her and William. Duh. I loved that she was the one to pull him out of his Vertigo trip and my heart melted at how he looked at her in the bunker afterwards when she called him her man. I'm not thrilled that he fired her but I hope this means we'll get more Helix Dynamics next week.

Speaking of firings, Oliver was impeached this week and damn if Diaz doesn't have the deepest pockets EVER. Like where is he getting all this money to buy every single person in any position of power?? It's very smart though. Drugging Oliver with Vertigo to make him look incompetent in front of the City Council while also forcing him into a corner where the only way he can prove that the DA and police captain were on the take is to prove he's the Green Arrow. I didn't think of that last week when the DA and Captain Hill tried to out him but it worked really well for me. Now it sounds like Diaz's next plan is to let the world know Star City is ripe for the picking? Like does he mean to other gangs and stuff? What's his endgame now that Diaz owns Star City?

Speaking of endgames, like I mentioned at the top, the show seems to have come to a conclusion about where they want Oliver to be and I don't know if I like it. Somehow the show is trying to convince me that by Oliver wanting to be someone outside of the Green Arrow costume, he's not focused enough anymore and that someone having a team is pulling him away from making good decisions? Bullshit. Plenty of heroes have two lives and are doing it well. And of course he needs backup in situations where he's outnumbered. Also if we're being honest, Oliver was only solo in season one for like 3 episodes before Diggle joined in episode 4 and Felicity in episode 14 so where was the whole I'm better when I'm alone thing coming from? I have always thought that the whole team thing did pull the focus a bit away from Oliver but I think he NEEDS Diggle and Felicity at the very least. There's a difference between six people and three.

I'm hoping that this I need to be alone thing is one of those Oliver makes a terrible decision moments like last season when he hung up the Green Arrow suit for an episode or two. We do know that Roy is coming back next season as a series regular so I have to believe this solo thing won't work. I really wouldn't mind if it went back to season 2 (which was my favorite team Arrow btw) with Felicity, Oliver, Diggle and Roy. I also wouldn't mind if Diggle stuck with ARGUS as long as he could still be a big part of the show. The recruits can stay on too if they want but as their own team that does their own thing and teams up with Oliver every once in a while even though I'd prefer if they just left.

Kind of sidebar but I still think the best thing for Oliver to do is to out himself as Green Arrow and be the mayor like in the comics because that way this whole trial thing can be over and he won't be stretched too thin anymore. Like I still don't truly understand why he's being put on trial for that cause as far as the general public knows Green Arrow is a hero and you don't see anyone asking for Flash or Supergirl to go to jail! The whole if I outed myself then enemies would come for my family thing is also kind of a silly reason to keep hidden cause every villain Oliver has had already knows his secret identity.

Next week's promo shows a bunch of Diaz so hopefully we'll finally get to find out what he wants to do now that he's in charge. We also get some worried Felicity and Felicity with Curtis so maybe more company stuff for her which is fine with me. I can't wait! This season has been super touch and go for me and I haven't had much fun with the whole split thing but if the season ends well, it could be redeemed for me.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment