Monday, April 16, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 14 Review

Supergirl is finally back after being off for what feels like forever and a day! I loved tonight's episode cause not only did it shine a spotlight on Winn like I've been begging the show to do but we had no Reign which is such a plus cause honestly Supergirl's Big Bads are never the most interesting parts of the seasons which is one of the reasons that I struggle to connect with Supergirl the way I do Arrow or even certain seasons of the Flash. I love Kara and I love how positive this show is but Kara is never actually brought down by her villains like Oliver or Barry and Big Bads don't feel like anything more than villains of the week. The best villains make the hero look at who they are but neither the Kryptonians or Daxamites have emotionally impacted Kara. Reverse Flash killed Barry's mom and made him struggle to realize who he is, Slade and Adrian had personal reasons to despise Oliver and took his mother and his ability to feel like a hero away from him. They make the hero struggle and claw and that's what makes them impactful not just a big fight in the end.

Wow that went away from me huh. Sorry about that word vomit that probs doesn't even make any sense but I had to get those thoughts out cause as soon as they popped into my head, I couldn't think about anything else until I went through them. Like I said I really enjoyed this episode.

Winn was a great character season 1 when he had stuff to play with but ever since he moved to the DEO in season 2, he's been relegated to comic relief and the person to say random solutions to problems when they're needed. I've been saying that it's such a shame cause I've seen Jeremy Jordan act his little butt off in other things so I know he's incredible and I want him to have the chance to show it off. The biggest flaw in the Arrowverse shows (minus Legends) is that they cannot for the life of them write for ensembles. I understand that not all the characters can have the spotlight on them every week and that this is Kara's show but what's the point of having side characters if you can't flesh them out. At least Supergirl does it better than Flash but I'm not sure that's any highlight still.

I loved everything Winn got to do tonight. His anger and torment with his father was incredible and his episode with his father season 1 is still one of my favorites to this day. I loved meeting Winn's mom though she felt off for a major chunk of the episode and I kept waiting for her to turn into like another Toyman like the Trickster family in the Flash but that didn't happen so I wonder why she felt like she didn't really fit in the world. I do hope we see her again. I loved that she was able to prove to Winn that she didn't just up and vanish without first trying to take him with her and I loved how intense Winn was in his confrontation with her. You should feel the anger and frustration in his eyes and I almost cried when he told that story about waiting in the police station for her.

I loved that Winn was able to out-Toyman the Toyman's apprentice in the end and that not only was he able to save his mom but prove to himself once again that he's a badass and nothing like his dad.

Mon El was in a huge chunk of this episode which was fun though I find it hilarious that Kara actually thought that the conversation Mon El wanted to have with her in the end was about Imra and his relationship. Like girl Mon El may be dense sometimes but he's not THAT dense. I assumed at the end of the last week's episode that the secret Imra and Brainiac 5 kept from Mon El had to do with coming to this time period on purpose but I wasn't actually sure why and it's interesting to find out that one of the World Killers is actually the Blight from the 30th Century. That means that Kara either couldn't find Pestilence in the original timeline or she lets it get away cause it needs to be out in the world to evolve. Also it leads me to wonder if maybe if they kill Pestilence now (or find a way to stop her) if that means that certain members of the League of Superheroes with appear or return off screen, members like Lightning Lad perhaps? I know I know but we all know that Kara and Mon El are going to get back together at some point this season and why not soften the blow to Imra by introducing her comic book love interest?

Also sidebar Mon El fighting that T-Rex with a blanket and calling his moves "cape tricks" was everything.

We also got some really sad stuff with J'onn's father. He has dementia and though I guessed it immediately from the DEO pizza scene, it was not any less impactful seeing Alex put the pieces together slowly over the dinner and then confronting M'rynn about it gently. I almost cried again when he told Alex and then J'onn later in the episode that J'onn just got his father back and that it would unfair for J'onn to now have to watch him die slowly and lose him all over again. I actually did cry in the end when J'onn came to the bar to find Alex and when she knew right away what happened that she ran over to hug him. I always love Dad!J'onn.

The episode ended with a shot of Lena in some warehouse keeping Sam locked up. It's been so long that I forgot that Lena found out about Sam acting weird in the office and I want to say that maybe it's Lena's Luthor genes causing her to lock up someone in a sketchy place but let's be honest the DEO does the same thing so pot meet kettle. I really hope that Lena finds out about Sam being Reign first cause it'll be fun to watch and it'd be nice if our heroes find out who Reign is earlier rather than latter.

Next week's promo shows that maybe we find Pestilence or maybe we find effects of her attack cause it seems to early in the season to find and stop her especially when this seems to be a Legion problem. Lena is also going to be studying Sam and maybe it looks like Reign will come out? Oh and the best part, we're finally going to see Mon El's Valor suit!!! It looks great in the one shot we saw and I can't wait to see it and see everyone's reactions to it. It's the opposite colors of Supergirl's costume and they literally will look perfect on screen side by side. I can't wait!

Don't forget to tune into my Flash review tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment