Monday, April 23, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 15 Review

Holy hell the Valor suit! IT LOOKS SO DAMN GOOD! Okay deep breathes. Deep breathes. There was an episode of Supergirl we need to discuss. Deep breathes. Okay so overall I did enjoy this episode and man was it such a sad episode!

Let's start with the Kara and Mon El relationship stuff. It was so cathartic seeing Kara finally lose it on Mon El cause girl should be feeling all sorts of rage at the whole situation and because Kara is an amazing person she's tried to push it down but sometimes you need to let out these emotions otherwise it just hurts you. It's a tough situation to be in for everyone involved cause it's not really Mon El or Imra's fault that they're hurting Kara cause it's been 7 years since Kara and Mon El were together from their point of view but feelings are feelings and I'm sure Kara just feels like everything is unfair. I was a little disappointed that she only got angry about the stuff Mon El did before they were together cause I was hoping this would be a good time for her to yell at Mon El about getting married and more current stuff cause everyone and their mother knows that Kara and Mon El will get back together at some point (maybe not this season but eventually.) I also wonder if this was a way to explain that the showrunners know Mon El wasn't perfect and he was a bit of an ass at the start cause I know a lot of the crew and even Chris Wood himself said that Mon El wasn't a good guy at the start and that they want to rectify that.

Which I do think they did overall. It is still a little hard to see him go from jokester Mon El to this more serious one but it is fun seeing this smarter more capable version. I loved watching him teach Kara cape tricks although I still think it's extremely silly. Mostly I enjoyed them sparring again and him being able to take the mentor role over the student one. I especially loved them analyzing Reign's fight with Supergirl and talking tactics. I was hoping for a bit more sexual tension between them while they were sparring (cause again they're going to get back together) but this version of Mon El is probably more Kara's type so it probs doesn't matter that much. Cause let's be honest, she's in awe every time she sees Mon El be a hero in the field and even when he put on the costume which by the way is super badass. I love the visual of the two of them standing side by side and flying. The reverse color schemes match so well.

Now onto more serious stuff. I didn't really love the Lena and Sam stuff tonight cause I was so irritated with Sam the whole time. I've never been super into her character or the villain for the season but seriously she asked Lena for her help in figuring out why she keeps blacking out and then turns around and blames Lena for being paranoid when she tells her the truth. I understand not wanting to believe it but when she was sobbing that she just wants to go home to Ruby, I rolled my eyes and was like grow a backbone already. I'm glad that she realized it in the end and I'm assuming that Lena will figure out a cure by the end of the season so that they can save Sam (ugh cause we need her on this show) but that Reign will get out at some point and attack Kara again.

My favorite part of this episode was probably the stuff with J'onn and Mry'nn cause it was so emotional and deep and although it had a fantasy element, it also felt really real. Dementia and Alzheimers and other late-term mental illnesses are so terrifying and heartbreaking and watching J'onn and Mry'nn go through it was terrible. It was especially sad in the context of Mry'nn being a prisoner of war and how even when he's finally free, he's going to lose the one thing that makes him feel like who he is with his Martian powers. I'm a little annoyed that we just brought him onto the show this season only to lose him so quickly. It was the same thing with Miss Martian last season. Why do we keep losing the interesting characters but keep Sam and James the most boring ones??

Next week looks exciting and Imra's back! I hope this also means Brainy is too cause I love him. I always love contagion storylines so I'm excited to see what happens. I also wonder if this will be the episode where Imra loses it on Kara cause when we talked about feelings, I'm sure she has some not so positive ones regarding Kara as well. I hope we get to see more of the Legion doing badass stuff cause they did come back to help and I kind of would love it if they were the ones to stop Pestilence!

I'll see you all tomorrow night for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment