Monday, April 16, 2018

Arrow Season 6 Episode 19 Review

Okay so I was really hoping I'd like this episode because not only was it a Richard Dragon centric episode which was seriously needed cause we know next to nothing about him and he's supposed to be our Big Bad but also because I love episodes of these Arrowverse shows that are different from the normal procedural elements. Unfortunately I spent most of the episode bored to tears which sucks so hard cause it followed right after possibly the best episode of Arrow this season.

A lot of people have been complaining on the internet that Diaz wasn't a scary enough villain for Oliver and before tonight's episode I didn't really have an opinion on that either way. Tonight's episode however placed me firmly in the same boat as all those people. I was hoping that we'd learn what made Diaz tick and that we'd finally see him as a credible threat like Prometheus became last season when it was revealed that he was Adrian Chase. Instead of that, we got a dime a dozen sob story and Diaz being whiny for an hour. The amount of times I rolled my eyes tonight, I'm surprised I didn't give myself a headache. I don't know if it's the actor who isn't giving Diaz enough gravitas or if it's the lines he's been given to read or if it's just the character in general but I was so bored and I could not convince myself to care about anything that was happening on screen.

We've randomly been introduced to a crime syndicate that runs everything in the country (I'm assuming) and it came out of freaking nowhere. Where was the Quadrant the other five seasons of Arrow? Why haven't we heard about them if they're supposed to have their hand in everything? And don't even get me started on Diaz's big masterplan which was revealed to be nothing more than a way to make himself feel better. All I can say is that Diaz needs therapy. He's nothing more than a child throwing a tantrum to make himself feel better. I'm just waiting for the episode where he snaps and I'm not a fan of this cause I was really hoping that Diaz would be more of a criminal mastermind. I loved the idea of him literally owning everyone in Star City that has any say cause I always love villains (or heroes) with brains. I like seeing them have contingency plans upon contingency plans.

I suppose that the thing with Diaz is that he could only really work this season when Team Arrow was split cause he's not a threat to Oliver whatsoever except in numbers. Once he's taken out, the city's back to normal with really no one the wiser or too much damage done. Now that he's gotten in with the Quadrant though I guess maybe Oliver might kill/capture him before the season finale and then have to deal with the Quadrant in the finale or Diaz will be captured/killed in the finale and the Quadrant might be the villains next season (please no cause I've just met them and I'm already over it.)

Speaking of, did anyone find literally any part of the Quadrant menacing at all? Like I don't find Diaz threatening but he basically took them down tonight with only the help of Black Siren. Both the son and his father were all bluster and had nothing to back them up. Ugh.

Black Siren was weird in this episode cause she's like all of a sudden started to dislike killing. Even torture is not okay for her anymore and this is coming from the woman who literally dropped a building down in Central City when she first popped up. I guess we're supposed to assume that living with Quentin has softened her a little but like most everything else that happened this season, the writing was clunky and came out of nowhere. All aboard the redemption train. On the plus side, I kept waiting for Diaz's temper to snap at her especially as the episode went on and she kept questioning and undermining him so props to Diaz for not being an abusive asshole and saving the anger for later.

Oliver was barely in this episode but we did get some Felicity and Curtis stuff as they refocused on Helix Dynamics now that Felicity was fired from being Overwatch. I liked the slow progression of Felicity's panic because a core part of Felicity that she's mentioned over and over since season 2 is that her biggest fear is losing her loved ones aka Oliver. Now that she's no longer running coms she is basically powerless and that's a terrifying place to be cause for almost 6 seasons she's been right beside Oliver the whole time. I was a little bitter that she told Curtis all the gossip because I'm still pissed at him about the whole split and I don't think it was fair of her to air Oliver's dirty laundry to someone who had no empathy for him.

It looks like next week is going to be another struggle for me cause the promo shows Diaz telling Oliver that he wants to fight one on one with him so basically winner takes all. I don't know how this is supposed to work cause no part of me thinks that Diaz is a better fighter. Like I know in the comics he's supposed to be one of the best but in the show he's only had like one scene and that can't compare to Oliver learning from Slade and Ra's and beating both. The season is winding towards the end and I'm disappointed that we haven't ramped up....

I'll see you all tomorrow night for my Agents of SHIELD review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment