Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Arrow Season 5 Episode 20 Review

Oh my god guys. Guess who's shipper heart just exploded tonight??????? I'm not even slightly sorry for how excited I am about this episode that was Oliver and Felicity centric! Not only that but any time there's an original team Arrow segment, my heart sings!!!!! I can't even objectively tell you if this was a good episode although objectively I can say the writing was good and it helped explain a lot of the plot holes and problems that we saw between Oliver and Felicity this season but I can say that if you dislike their relationship, you're not going to be a fan of this episode and I would just skip to the last few minutes to see what Adrian was up to while Team Arrow was occupied.

Ugh guys I'm still squealing internally about this. Even the flashbacks were Olicity related and I'm living! So Chase set off an EMP to prevent Oliver and Felicity from leaving the bunker which not only fried the tech in Felicity's spine that helped her to walk but distracted the whole team as they tried to figure out how to get them out. This led to a bunch of fantastic moments between Oliver and Felicity where they finally talked and Oliver admitted to why he's been struggling to be the Green Arrow and Felicity finally forgave him for not telling her about William because now she knows what kind of tough decision it was. There were a lot of lingering eye contact and moments where Oliver relaxed in Felicity's arms when his defenses were down but then realized his position and would shoot away. Jeez just reading that back, it's like I watched a rom com.

I loved how of course the methane gas pipe burst cause why not but it led to some fun moments where Felicity was able to use her brain and show us again how smart she is cause sometimes that's lost in all the hacking she does. Also what was that explosion when Oliver tried to pry open the elevator shaft? Did Chase really have the time to rig a bomb? When did he plan all this? Also I feel like for all the defenses the bunker has to prevent people from leaving from within, maybe they should come up with better defenses on the outside. Just a secret button to open the elevator? I feel like they should invest in some retina scans or fingerprinting or something cause people can sneak in pretty easily! I also appreciated the short comment from Felicity about her Palmer Tech severance package being so large cause I was wondering for a while why she doesn't have a job but seems to have money to spare.

Do we think this is the end of the bunker? Or will it get magically fixed by next week? I feel like it'll be fine cause it seems kinda expensive to just tear it down and build a new one. Especially since we've gone through two previous bunkers already....

The flashbacks helped explain a lot of the subtleties that the show (or more likely Stephen and Emily) portrayed between Oliver and Felicity. I noticed a while back that neither seemed to touch each other anymore or if they did it was for a few seconds and they flinched away and I was curious as to why. The flashbacks definitely explained it and honestly snaps to the writers or the directors or the actors, whoever made the Olicity not touching decision! Oliver and Felicity were getting really close again when it was just the two of them and they got drunk and slept together again but Felicity was still struggling to forgive Oliver so they decided to wait. I loved that line from Oliver that he's not going anywhere and it's true. Felicity is to Oliver like Iris is to Barry and no one can convince me otherwise. He knew she needed time and he waited and no matter what she did with Billy or he did with Susan, they are going to find each other again by the end of the season. I believe it especially after the end of the episode where Felicity was the first person Oliver wanted to see once he was out of surgery and where Felicity told him that she understands why he lied.

I'm also thrilled that Diggle and Lyla seem to be working together to figure out how to get past there tension. This bottle episode may have worked out the best for them cause if it wasn't a character heavy episode, we might have only gotten mentions of problems from Diggle but wouldn't have touched on it until he broke up with Lyla or something like what happened with Paul and Curtis. I'm glad Diggle was able to see that he may have been too harsh with Lyla especially after how much he refused to leave Oliver's side no matter what he did. I loved how Lyla was completely honest with him and gave him all the black ops she ran. They will be okay too and I'm so glad cause I would have been heartbroken if they broke up! I really wish Lyla could be more of a prominent character on the show.

And now for the Chase stuff. Somehow magically he was able to locate William to kidnap him cause heaven knows we all missed that kid and this storyline. Where was William's protection? Did they really just move William and his mom to another city and were like cool you'll be fine? There's no bodyguards or witness protection? Despite all that, it's a great evil plan Chase. Props to you.

Wow this was a lengthy review and I feel like I should apologize for gushing about Olicity but I'm not sorry. I love them too much. Anyway, next week's promo shows Chase taunting Oliver about having William (at least that's what I think the skeleton in the box is) and Team Arrow still hunting for him. I know the EMP probably destroyed the drive that HIVE gave Felicity but like her implant, couldn't they try to fix it? Then it'd be much easier to find Chase! I assume we'll get William back next week but Chase will get away cause we won't be able to stop him until the finale. I heard at some point Oliver will be trying to recruit past villains he fought to help but I feel like that's either finale or the episode before the finale material. Either way, I'm excited to see where this season goes cause unlike the Flash, Arrow is killing it this season!

I'll see you all next week for my Supergirl review!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment