Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Review

WHAT THE HELL GUYS??? WHY IS EVERY ONE OF THESE DCTV FINALES SO INSANE AND CONFUSING AND WITH SUCH CRAZY CLIFFHANGERS??! After Flash and Supergirl I didn't think it could get more insane and then Arrow aired and though I knew in my heart of hearts that is was going to be my favorite finale (cause I'm biased towards this show cause it's the one that started it all for me), I still wasn't emotionally prepared for this crazy ending!

Let's start with Slade's return! So Slade is sane now and I freaking loved that cause it's such an interesting story to explore with him because before Mirakuru, Slade and Oliver were really good friends and I love the idea of Slade having to search himself and reconcile who he was under the influence of Mirakuru and who he is now. It also gives me hope (probably false hope cause Manu Bennett is busy filming a different show so he probs doesn't have the time) that maybe we'll get to explore him in the next season and maybe this means he'll be like Captain Cold or Cadmus in that he'll appear here and there and maybe he'll even be more like an antihero. In the comics Deathstroke is a mercenary so maybe we'll get some of that here. Also I totally didn't believe that he changed sides when he punched out Oliver cause it would have made no sense otherwise he would have changed sides when Captain Boomerang did and I assumed it was a fake-out which it was. I also loved his casual teasing of Oliver about marrying Nyssa and not Felicity.

Speaking of Felicity, who else died when she kissed Oliver cause she didn't want to regret anything between them in case one of them didn't make it? In my mind, they are officially back together (even though I had hopes after last week) because not only with that scene but with how much emphasis everyone else put on Felicity's relationship with Oliver. Not only did Oliver tell Felicity that'll they talk about them when they get off the island but Samantha brought it up with Felicity and Slade and Adrian brought it up with Oliver. I'm really liking the way Oliver and Felicity are being portrayed these last couple of episodes and has anyone else feeling a huge jump in their chemistry that wasn't there before?

Malcolm sacrificed himself to save Thea and the others which was kind of heartbreaking but also I'm not sure how much I believe that he died tbh... No body, no death in these comic book shows and I won't believe it until then. Plus we all thought Malcolm died in season 1 and he came back so... It was fun though that he took out Boomerang with him though who kinda sucks for switching sides although not as much as Evelyn who is still the worst for no good reason. At least Chase and Talia have logical reasons for hating Oliver but Evelyn literally hates Oliver but is cool with everything Chase has done? I hope she died in an explosion cause if we never see her again, it'll be too soon.

Nyssa was amazing and I loved every scene she was in and I was actually kind of surprised with how much we got from her. Her fight against Talia was great and I kind of hope they both comes back next season cause I was enjoying what we got from the two of them and I'd like to explore their relationship a bit more. Talia is the older one but left cause she knew Ra's would never let her to Heir to the Demon and Nyssa blames Talia for leaving her alone with her father. I still don't particularly understand why Talia was so pissed at Oliver for killing Ra's when she clearly had a terrible relationship with him and if she grew up with the League, she should know that he was going to die at some point to allow the next Head to grow. Also how epic was that show when Talia's League went to attack but then Slade jumped in and killed (?) them all??

I was so sure that after last week and the soft side that Earth 2 Laurel showed with Quentin would lead to Black Siren changing sides so I kept waiting for it but I'm ultimately glad they didn't go that way. Not only was it extremely satisfying to see Black Siren and Black Canary fight (I will never be over how much I love the Canary Cry) but seeing Quentin punch out Earth 2 Laurel was strangely fascinating. I'm also glad cause I feel like Katie Cassidy does a better villain than a hero (might be cause I know her as the villain on Gossip Girl) but if Black Siren joined Team Arrow, then there'd be two Canaries and I wouldn't understand the point of bringing Dinah onto the show cause we have Earth 2 Laurel. Also can we take a moment to acknowledge how my heart melted when Quentin called Dinah the Black Canary? I still think Black Siren's arc next season will be to turn good though cause I just can't see her staying evil when Quentin is around.

The flashbacks were the least interesting part of this episode cause I kept thinking go back to the interesting part in present day. We all know how the flashbacks end so why take so long to get to Oliver killing Kovar. I did love the editing during the big fight scene in the temple and Oliver v Adrian and how it paralleled Oliver fighting Kovar and his men.

Now let's talk about that ending. Adrian somehow rigged the entire island with explosives (which by the way must have taken the full year to set up) and also somehow rigged the trigger to go off when he died. Adrian's plan was pretty damn epic though if I do say so myself. A choice between William or everyone else that Oliver loves. Well played Adrian. When he killed himself and then the island exploded, I was gaping at the screen in shock and was stunned when the episode ended there on such a huge cliffhanger. Despite how amazing that shot was and how my heart jumped in my chest, I'm not too worried because let's be honest, there's no way in hell that Arrow kills off it's entire cast especially when we know almost everyone is returning next season as series regulars just like how Mon El is coming back cause he's signed on as a series regular next season and how Barry isn't gone cause he's literally the main character. Maybe I could see them killing off Thea or Quentin or even Rene or Dinah but no chance in hell that Diggle and Felicity are killed. I would assume that somehow they were able to fix the plane or deactivate the bombs in their surrounding area cause Felicity and Curtis are geniuses and they were trying to turn them off earlier in the episode and Curtis figured out a way to fix the comms so why not the bombs!

Ugh I can't believe all three DCTV shows had such amazing finales! What a time to be alive guys! I can't wait until we return next season and I can't wait to see what happens!

I will be posting my top 10 ranking of the finales that aired this season as I usually do tomorrow and after that, keep an eye out for my posts about the top 9 episodes of the season for the shows I watch! Also don't forget to check out my The 100 Season 4 finale review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment