Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Arrow Season 5 Episode 21 Review

I really enjoyed tonight's episodes and there were a ton of moments I loved. The writing was so solid in terms of themes and linking them throughout and the flashbacks fit perfectly! Let's jump in!

So I kind of loved how the theme of the episode had to do with fathers and their legacies and how it carried throughout the whole hour and affected all the major storylines. I loved Rene struggling to decide if his child wasn't better off in the foster home she's in right now because his life isn't safe and he doesn't want to bring up the past again while Quentin thinking about all the times he's lost children and wishing for just a little more time with them tried to convince Rene that he should fight for his daughter. Even though I agreed with Quentin and I'm kind of annoyed that we went back to this wishy-washy stuff with Rene (literally every episode he decides to be better and fight only to give up in the next), I did how it mirrored Oliver and Thea deciding to leave the past in the past and move forward.

The stuff with Oliver and Thea and their father was heartbreaking. First of all, I loved that Thea was back cause I missed her and the show doesn't feel the same without her. Secondly, can we take a moment to reflect on Oliver asking Thea if she spent her time away with Roy? Does this mean that Thea and Roy are seeing each other off screen or at least in regular contact? Headcanon accepted thank you. Now onto the stuff with Robert. I loved the parallels between Adrian's father and Robert and how despite neither being a great man (although the large chasm of difference between Adrian's father literally creating a biological weapon to make money and Robert accidentally shoving a guy into concrete is huge), ultimately Robert loved his children more than anything and despite all the complications Oliver and Thea had to face, they turned out to be great people. I loved the return of Robert's video and the addition of a video to Thea. I also loved how hilarious it was that Adrian straight up fell apart when he realized his father was disinherited him although it looks like Adrian planned all of this so that he would be in custody.

I was expecting William to be brought up in tonight's episode but since Adrian was busy, I'm assuming that Talia has him and that's why the previously on showed her cause honestly I almost forgot about her being around. I also thought it was kind of silly that Felicity couldn't find Susan and William but Adrian who has no tech experience that we know of could. Also why hasn't Susan called the cops or Oliver by now? I'm sure it'll come up next week.

I also loved that Felicity was the one to finally reach Oliver and convince him to put the Green Arrow costume back on even though it felt kind of abrupt. It never ceases to amuse me how Oliver tends to parrot whatever Felicity said to him to others when he's trying to make a point. I also noticed there was a lot more casual touching and smiles exchanged between the two after last week and I'm so glad we're done with broody Felicity cause she best shines when she's lighter.

The stuff with Sansom was kind of throw away but I did like his comment to Oliver about where the Green Arrow was and how he wanted to kill him as well as seeing Dinah "Canary Cry" him and Diggle wrap him up with rope that he shot from his gun. The trick ammo always makes me smile.

The flashbacks showed the return of Oliver to Lian Yu and a touching goodbye to Anatoli. I love him so much and I loved Oliver giving him a tour of the island. It's funny cause they met two years before the current flashback and then will see each other next in two more years (season 2) and then again in 3 years (now). I love how the crazy beard was a prop for Oliver and how it was Anatoli who would send the fishing boat towards the island. Also for a second when Oliver was shot with that tranq dart, I thought it would be Slade popping out cause we know he'll be back in the end of the season and because of that moment at the top of the flashbacks when Oliver and Anatoli discussed Slade and the mask that washed up on the shore. I'm ultimately glad though that Slade wasn't there cause I would prefer him to show up in present day!

Next week looks very exciting and can I just say again how much I'm loving this season of Arrow?? Adrian is the perfect villain and every time he speaks, it's chilling! I love that the team is being picked off one by one by who looks to be Talia and Adrian's men. Still no William so maybe he's going to be Chase's final move? Or maybe they're saving that to really punch us in the gut? Either way, it's going to be great! Only two episodes left this season!!!

I'll try to get my reviews up next week but I'm going to be on vacation so they might be late!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment