Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Flash Season 3 Episode 23 Review

What the actual hell did we just watch? I literally stared at my tv for a whole minute after tonight's finale ended so confused. It was definitely a good episode and there was a lot I loved but I can't stop thinking about the weird ending.....

So let's start with Iris's death! Like I predicted, Iris was alive and it was actually HR using his tech to make himself look like Iris. I was so glad that they really didn't kill her off and that HR finally got his big hero moment. I also loved that Iris was the one to kill Savitar in the end and save Barry cause I live for moments when Iris gets to actually do more than be Barry's love interest. I have been complaining about how this whole season that should have been about Iris spent so little time with Iris and so the fact that she solved the problem in the end made me unspeakably happy. I'm assuming she'll feel the guilt next season which yay cause it'll give her character something to do! I loved her speech about HR at his funeral and her writing Save the Date cards and I can't wait to see what happens with her next season.

HR died and it looks like Harry is back for next season which makes me very happy cause I never really liked HR and Harry was my favorite Wells. I hope this means now that Jay is also back that Jesse will return to this Earth cause not only is Wally on Earth 1 but now so is her dad.

I actually kind of hoped that the Savitar stuff would end with Barry reaching Evil Barry and making him good again cause it would be so different than everything else we've seen! Evil Barry asked Iris and Barry what would his future look like if he lived and so did they and they had no answer but I kind of wanted them to fix him and send him another Earth where that Earth's Barry might be dead and Iris is alone cause although the scenes in this episode between Evil Barry and Iris in Star Labs made me a bit uncomfortable (our Barry was casually just standing there watching Evil Barry look lovingly at Iris), Evil Barry was clearly still in love with Iris and I love that no matter what timeline or world they're in, Barry and Iris belong together so Evil Barry kind of deserves that too. That scene where Flash, Kid Flash and Jay Garrick Flash chased Savitar through the woods was so beautifully done and I lived for that shot when Savitar chopped those two trees down and the three speedsters moved around the trees in slow motion!!!

Killer Frost ended up exactly where I wanted her to be! My best case for her was for Caitlin to come back with ice powers and that's kind of what we got in that Killer Frost isn't exactly Caitlin but she's no longer evil and looking to kill everyone. She's just Frost now and I love that. I hope she returns next season and hopefully because of how she ended this season that her and Julian are no longer a thing. I shipped them for a hot second but it kind of fizzled for me. Ugh maybe I just want Ronnie back for her.

Now let's talk about this ending that has me confused. It seemed so much like the show was writing Barry off like in the comics when Barry died and Wally took over the Flash mantle (which I loved cause you know my Flash is Wally and not Barry) but this show has Barry as the main character and I doubt they'd go the comic book route and change who plays the Flash mid-series. Actually tbh I kept waiting for Wally to take Barry's place cause again he's the one who spends time in the speedforce learning the secrets of being a speedster. And at the same time, why spend so much time showing us that Barry and Iris are meant to be if Barry is gone. The only plausible scenario left is that the main focus of the next season or at least part of it is the team trying to figure out a way to get Barry back which honestly could be a ton of fun and as I think about it more, could be an excellent way to shake up the typical big bad of the season formula the DCTV shows have going for them afterall the showrunners have said there's no speedster villain in season 4.

I really enjoyed this finale and I have so many questions going forward which makes me excited for next season! Don't forget to tune into my Arrow finale review tomorrow night! If Supergirl and Flash are any indication, Arrow is going to be a doozy!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment