Monday, May 22, 2017

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 22 Review

This finale was intense! It was emotional and crazy and fun and heartbreaking all in one and I can't wait until next season already!

So the stuff with Superman was explained pretty early on and I freaking loved that it was another version of kryptonite. I don't care if it's cheesy and a wave-away, give me all the weird kryptonite with their weird effects. Silver Kryptonite makes you see the one person you fear the most and for Superman that was Zodd. We knew he was coming on the show and I'm actually really really glad that he appeared in a hallucination cause I assumed Zodd would be a season 3 villain but we really didn't need another evil Kryptonian so it worked out. I also feel like though Kara and Clark are sharing villains, there are a few that Kara shouldn't touch aka Lex and Zodd.

Anyway, I loved the Supergirl/Superman fight across National City and the effects were amazing. Tyler Hoechlin is a joy especially when he plays Clark and says thing like gee and golly (I giggle every time) and Cat flirts with him. I enjoyed watching him back Kara and also admit that despite all his physical strength and power, he would not have the emotional power to pick the world over Lois which I completely believe. He is very much like Barry in this where Kara is more like Oliver. I loved his awkward staring at Mon El and Kara as they hugged and how he introduced himself. I wish we could get more of him as Kara's cousin if not Superman cause Kara literally lost the man she loved and she needs love and family and support.

The fight with Rhea started out a bit underwhelming but I loved that Rhea literally had kryptonite in her blood. Every time green kryptonite comes out, it makes me wonder every single time why Winn or the DEO hasn't made a Supergirl suit that's resistant to kryptonite yet cause that seems like a super important idea to me. Narratively it's probably cause without it, Supergirl and in extension Superman would be completely unstoppable. My heart soared though in that scene when Kara stopped Rhea's punch and fought to stand and the music swelled and I just cheered. I'm glad that Rhea's finally dead and that it was lead dust in the air that dealt the final blow (how freaking cool was that idea) and I expected her death tbh but I still need an explanation on why the Daxamites hated Mon El so much and why they didn't see him as King. Did Rhea have to die too before he could be King? Shouldn't there at least be a contingent of soldiers who support him and not Rhea or are we supposed to assume that all Daxamites are terrible horrible people except Mon El?

Speaking of Mon El, why is it that he gets the best character moments when he's about to die? I knew that he was going to be sent off to the Phantom Zone since I found out who he was but I hoped that it wouldn't be true cause I loved his character and Chris Wood. He was so strong and powerful and could finally kick butt on the streets tonight but I'm so sad that he never got a costume. I thought maybe before his final send off he'd get something.... The dream scene where Kara and Mon El were in bed together made my heart melt but also filled me with all kinds of anxiety cause it was all the foreshadowing and the scene where Kara and Mon El said goodbye made me cry. I did love them together and I do not believe this is the end of Mon El. Kara loves him and she gave Mon El her mother's necklace. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I can't see Kara doing that unless she really truly loves him and I can't see the show destroying the main couple of the show like that. I hope that wormhole took Mon El to the 30th century where he gets cured of his lead poisoning (with the Legion ring) and returns as Valor! I just hope that if it is true that Mon El is gone for good that Kara waits at least a few episodes next season before moving on cause I will literally lose it if season 3 opens with a new love interest (Brainiac 5?)

Also can we take a moment to talk about that scene when the camera zoomed in on a crying Kara as she flew and then cut to Mon El in the pod staring at Kara's mother's necklace? Tears all over the place.

Alex and Maggie had little to do but Alex tried to comfort Kara after Mon El was gone (kind of poorly I might add) because I get that it's hard and Alex has a girlfriend right now but seriously Kara needed family right now. Kara was there for Alex when Alex first came out and Maggie rejected her. I think losing someone you love (possibly forever) is grounds for some sister time. Now aside from all that, Alex proposed to Maggie and I loved it but also isn't it a bit soon for this? Alex and Maggie have only been dating for half this season. I wonder if we'll actually get a wedding or if like other DCTV shows, something will get in the way. I'd love a wedding. If Diggle and Lyla can do it, so can Alex and Maggie.

Speaking of couples, is anyone else seeing something possibly between Lena and Winn? They keep having these nerdy moments over tech and I love it. Also I really dislike Lyra and I think Winn deserves better.

I loved what we got with Cat tonight too. I live for the moments when she fangirls over Clark and when she touched up her lip gloss and unbuttoned her shirt, I about died. And Kara's reaction afterwards about wanting Rhea to kill her was perfect. I also snickered at Cat's line about never seeing Star Wars cause Calista is married to Harrison Ford in real life. Also let's take a minute to gush over how excited Cat was that Kara finally had a boyfriend and then how perfect that line from Cat was about knowing Kara was Supergirl cause we all wondered but no one knew for sure until now. It makes everything she said in that last speech so much more powerful. Her speech about how a woman is the most strong and resilient when she's able to be vulnerable was heartbreaking and so utterly true. The bravest anyone not just women can be is when the heart is involved. Does anyone else think that final scene with Cat felt kind of like a goodbye to Cat? I hope not! I know Calista doesn't want to move to Vancouver to film but I'd love her to pop in and out every once in a while!

The return of M'gann was also amazing and I loved that she brought a bunch of good White Martians with her to help fight and that J'onn called for her through his mental link with her. I love her and them together and I hope she stays around for a little bit.

The final scene on Krypton 35 years ago was a fun ending and it either set up a villain or an ally for the next season and I kept waiting for some sort of hint as to who it was but no such luck. I am leaning towards villain though cause based on stuff like the pod having red accents instead of white and the aliens talking about him/her reigning on Earth. For a second I thought Superboy cause in some comic versions he actually is from Krypton but if anyone was Superboy, it'd be that baby made from Lena and Mon El that Rhea mentioned wanting last week. Any guesses on who this will be?

So as you can see, I loved this finale and I am so pumped for next season! Don't forget to tune in tomorrow night for my Flash finale review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment