Friday, May 18, 2018

Agents of SHIELD Season 5 Episode 22 Review

What an intense season finale that left me in tears! Overall I enjoyed the episode minus a few things that bothered me but in the long run I'm left so glad that this wasn't the series finale after all and that we'll get one last season to wrap things up.

The episode began with everyone fighting about what to do and whether or not to give the Centipede serum to Coulson or use it with the odium to take out Talbot. While emotionally I agreed with saving Coulson cause how can you not want to save him, rationally I was on board with YoYo and Fitz cause to me it seems like the end of the world is a little more important! When they were discussing how to get Talbot to even take the serum if they chose that route and Fitz talked about someone taking it and being absorbed, I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that he was talking about himself. The show seems to have hand-waved the whole Fitz forcibly giving Daisy her powers back but I had a feeling that Fitz needed to be redeemed and this was how it was going to happen. Luckily that wasn't the case.

YoYo though I agreed with her went too far even if again I understand where she was coming from. She keeps talking about how Daisy isn't leading but at the same time when Daisy does make a decision, YoYo ignores it for what she thinks is right. I get that she's terrified of Kasius and the future she's seen for herself but there's doing something to stop that future and what YoYo's been doing for the past few episodes. I'm glad that she was the one to save Coulson in the end and that she recognized how crazy she's been. It also looked like she and Mack reconciled though it might have just been the grief talking for a few moments. We'll see next season.

Speaking of Mack, his holier than thou attitude was present and just as irritating as sandpaper tonight. I get it, Mack's supposed to be the moral core blah blah blah but straight up he's a freaking SHIELD agent not a random civilian. SHIELD was literally built to make the tough calls and it irritates me that he and the others keep going on and on about how they have to be better and to a degree I agree with that notion but sometimes the world isn't black and white like Mack wants. Like can you even imagine someone telling Fury the stuff Mack has said all season? And now he's going to be the director of SHIELD next season and though I get why, at the same time I'm like Mack would make a terrible leader cause Daisy turned it down cause she thinks with her heart too much and I'm like but Mack's no better! He would never be able to make the tough call! The position should have gone to May tbh.

Daisy was able to defeat Talbot much more easily than I expected if I'm being honest. Like Talbot and Graviton and the whole destroying of worlds was hyped up so much that his defeat felt a bit anticlimactic. Talbot felt more of a side story rather than the main plot with how little he did and how fast he was destroyed. I did love that Daisy was able to overpower him by taking the serum and then blasting him into space! Harsh! I was a little confused when it was happening cause I thought Daisy was going to do the Fitz plan and let herself be absorbed after she injected herself but I was like there's no odium in that serum so will it do anything at all? I also loved her speech to Talbot but I'm kind of glad that it didn't get through to him cause I always think it's super cheesy when the hero is able to talk down the villain. Her goodbye to Coulson was really heartbreaking but one of my favorite things about this show was seeing their father/daughter bond grow over 5 seasons.

I was sobbing when my baby Fitz died and I really thought the show killed him off but at the same time I was hoping that they'd find some sci-fi way next season to bring him back. I totally and completely forgot about the other Fitz floating around in space which if I think about it makes no sense.... If they changed the future would there have been any need to go to the future in the first place? I'm just going to go with what the show is telling me and just be thrilled that Fitz will be back. And this Fitz didn't experiment on Daisy so maybe we can get their sibling relationship back cause I did miss it this season. Fitz's death scene was heartbreaking and I was sobbing as Mack and May got emotional. I also kind of loved and kind of hated the fakeout at the end where we thought we were saying goodbye to Fitz when it was actually Coulson we were saying goodbye too.

Sidebar it looks like Deke did disappear at some point in the episode but we didn't see it which made it feel so strange. I really do think Deke's relationship with Fitzsimmons was played with as much as it could have been and I'm disappointed we never got a scene with Fitz finally accepted Deke cause as much fun as the scenes where he made fun of Deke were, it was sad that Deke didn't really get the love of his grandparents.

Coulson made it out of the season alive but we were told that he only had a few days to weeks to live so this was a last goodbye for him. I loved that he didn't take the serum cause he remembered what it did to Garrett and what it did to him before. He was also able to finally go to Tahiti and May was with him which makes it all the more sweet. The plaque dedicated to him in the Quinjet was also very sweet and was played to throw us off cause we all thought it was for Fitz cause Coulson woke up but the reveal was pretty great.

Like I said, I did enjoy this finale overall and this season was pretty good although it's not going down as one of my favorites. If I had to rank seasons I'd say 4, 2, 3, 5 and then 1. I'm interested to see where next season goes because this did feel like a series finale with lots of loose ends being tied up. I hope Robbie comes back and we get to see Fitz being saved from that pod and I'm interested to see Mack leading. In my dreamworld Hunter and Bobbi would come back for the final season as well but I know that might be hard to pull off. The rumors say that SHIELD won't come back until next summer which is really sad and that it will be around 13 episodes. I hope the show leaves with a bang!

I'll see you all Monday for my Supergirl review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment