Monday, May 21, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 19 Review

I ended up really enjoying tonight's episode of Supergirl even though the trailer last week didn't seem like this episode would be up my alley! I feel like whenever I have low expectations, Supergirl always seems to surpass them which is a plus!

So though the promo made it seem as though the episode would be more of a standalone James episode, it turned out that the episode did progress the Worldkiller storyline as well. It's funny cause I honestly forget how great of a character James is normally because he barely ever has anything to do on the show but every time an episode focuses on him (and I mean on James Olsen the man not Guardian cause no matter how much time passes, I'm still not a fan of that storyline), it just reminds me how fascinating and three-dimensional he is. I loved that the episode focused on James being a black man and what the meant to him and to the people around him. My blood boiled while my heart broke for James when the cops found him on the scene and assumed that he was the villain despite clearly being in the Guardian costume. I usually prefer when these deeper messages are kept away from the Arrowverse cause they never really seem to do a good enough job (remember that gun control episode of Arrow last season) but I actually thought the topic was well done tonight.

James's speech to Lena about how he was cuffed for the first time when he was seven broke my heart and caused me to tear up a little and for the first time, I actually felt the chemistry between the two. I loved Lena's response to the speech and that James decided that he needed to come out as Guardian if only to prove to young kids like him that there are people like them helping the city and saving the world. I wish we'd get some more deeper moments like this between the two of them and I wonder if maybe I'm not feeling their relationship cause all their major moments are happening off screen with all the craziness with Reign happening on screen.

Speaking of Lena, I'm loving this distrustful of Supergirl Lena that we're getting. I've wanted Lena to become evil since she appeared on the show and not just cause Katie plays an amazing villain (shoutout to Morgana) but also cause I always feel like a Super show isn't at it's peak without a Luthor. It's like Batman without Joker! The fight between Supergirl and Lena is interesting cause though I agree with Lena that Supergirl went a step too far in searching her vault secretly, Lena seems to really want to hold a grudge. People make mistakes sometimes and refusing to forgive someone for a lie seems to be a little much. But at the same time, Supergirl getting upset with Lena for making that x-ray proof force field around Reign was a little much cause how's that any different that the DEO holding cells?

I'm also enjoying how this Lena/Supergirl fight is affecting Kara and her identity. I've always felt like Kara is a more interesting character than Clark cause unlike Clark, she actually remembers being on Krypton and that allows for some interesting storylines and questions about who she is. Is Kara Danvers her real personality or is it Supergirl? Or is it somewhere in the middle. I also liked how this struggle paralleled Olivia's struggle about who she is in the episode as well and that Kara was able to get through to her to tell her that it was okay that she didn't know who she was yet and that she had her whole life left to figure it out.

I loved Mon El in this episode as well and the return of Mike who had me cackling when he pretended to climb into the wrong car and then feel pain when the cuffs were put on him. I always love when the show allows us to see how much Mon El has grown as a hero (showing not telling please) and so I loved that he was able to figure out a way to contact Kara as well as fight pretty well. I guess we're finally going to touch on the Kara/Mon El relationship next week and I'm not exactly thrilled (cause I'm a little over this whole thing) so I hope that they figure out their feelings quickly and not drag it out. I enjoy them as a couple but I'm not enjoying this drama the show has created this season.

Surprisingly I actually ended up enjoying the stuff we got with Ruby tonight as well when you know that usually I'm really not a fan of her. I liked that it ended up being Mry'nn that reached Ruby through her depression and grief rather than Alex cause though Alex understands to a degree what Ruby's going through, Mry'nn went through the same thing Ruby did in losing his whole family except J'onn and recently too so his insights are more valuable. It was very sweet when they played foosball together and I actually really enjoyed the scene with Ruby and Alex at the end when Ruby admitted that part of her fear is in that she might become like her mom as well.

The promo for next week looks really good. I love it when Supergirl goes to different planets cause that's something only Supergirl the show can do! I bet the vision Kara is seeing of her mom is a hallucination or some sort of alien virus thing like the Black Mercy was cause I doubt the show would actually bring back Kara's mom for real though I think it would be really really interesting and totally ballsy of the show to do.

I'll see you all tomorrow night for my Flash season finale review!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment