Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Flash Season 4 Episode 23 Review

I actually enjoyed Flash's finale tonight because of how different it was. For once Barry couldn't solve his problems by running faster and I enjoyed that the show and the characters had to get creative to defeat DeVoe. Some questions were answered and some were not.

Let's start with the fact that Ralph was still alive! I really did think he died cause the show gave Barry like a whole five minutes to pack up and grieve Ralph so it seemed kind of strange that he would be back despite that. That's not to say that I wasn't happy to see him and I almost teared up when Barry did! I enjoyed seeing him and Barry fight side by side again though I was quickly reminded how annoying his quips are. I loved the idea though that since the goodness in DeVoe died that Ralph was the backup goodness that could take back control since it was his body! I hope that next season (since we all know he's sticking around) that he'll dial back his annoying traits and dial up the heroic ones that I enjoy watching.

I loved the idea that to defeat DeVoe Barry had to go inside his mind and defeat him there cause that's such a fun and interesting way to beat the Big Bad. I did think it was kind of cheesy that Harry had to destroy the very last part of his brain that made him who he was just so the team learned what should have been obvious. I mean seriously. Where else would good DeVoe be after they checked his house? Where he fell in love with Marlize obviously! The final fight in DeVoe's mind where Barry and Ralph fought DeVoe clones was a lot of fun too and I loved that once DeVoe was "defeated" he still had a backup failsafe in moving to the Thinker chair and then allowing the satellite to fall to Central City as a final middle finger to Team Flash.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with DeVoe is that we never really got an explanation as to why he didn't just kill Barry. Like his other Big Bads wanted his speed or to make him suffer but Barry was never a part of DeVoe's plans other than being a nuisance so it seemed strange that he wouldn't just kill him and get it over with.

Tonight seemed to be a goodbye for Harry which felt kind of abrupt if I'm being honest. He was able to get most of his brain back though he seems to be of average intellect now and I actually kind of like that. He was dumb to use the dark matter cause he really should have known better and I like that there were some consequences to what he did but this way he still has the most important parts of his brain aka his memories and feelings. I love how the team was like you're going back to Earth 2 why and it's like duh Jessie is there! I still don't know why he didn't leave earlier in the season when he actually started losing his brain cause I know team Flash is like family to him but Jessie is literally his daughter and if I was him I'd want to spend my final moments with my daughter. I wonder if the show is done with bringing different Harry's into Earth 1 or if this is the last time Harry will appear permanently cause Cisco's words about this being the end of an era were pretty ominous.

Cecile had her baby and I want to give her all the props cause girl was going through labor while using her mind powers to help. I still don't think this was worth all the annoying scenes over episodes of Cecile's adventures in mind reading but I enjoyed it anyway. Their baby is super cute and it turns out that the mystery speedster girl isn't Jenna (their daughter.)

Speaking of, we finally learned who the mystery girl is and it's Nora Allen aka Barry and Iris's daughter which is pretty much what everyone predicted. I'm a little disappointed cause it was the easy route to take and if we were going to do this, why spend so many episodes being like ooh look at this girl who could she be. I'm still curious about why she seems to enjoy being around everyone but Iris. Do they not have a good relationship in the future? Did Iris die? So many questions that I hope will be answered next season!

And sidebar the best part of the episode may or may not have been Wally coming back to welcome baby Jenna. I love him so much. I loved his talk with Joe about how he is finding himself on the Legends team and how they're allowing him room to discover who he is away from Barry's shadow. Did I mention I love him?

So overall this season was touch and go for me. I did enjoy it a lot more than last season and I really enjoyed that the villain wasn't another speedster. If I had to rank seasons it'd be 1, 2, 4 and 3! I'm definitely looking forward to next season cause I can't wait to see what the show does with Nora and what this big screwup she did and how that leads to the Big Bad of season 5. Also sidebar but of course it would be Barry's daughter who goes time traveling and shit hits the fan.

I'll see you all Monday for my Supergirl review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment