Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Flash Season 4 Episode 22 Review

Tonight was the penultimate episode of the Flash and overall I enjoyed it minus one plotline and a few things here and there. A lot of this episode was spent sitting around or talking about problems and there's nothing wrong with that other than the fact that I just personally prefer more action to sitting around especially in an episode where we're ramping to the finale.

Diggle was on the show tonight and that was such a positive to me though it was sad that he was only in like two scenes. I did realize right away that it wasn't actually Diggle cause the way David Ramsay played it was similar to The Thinker in the way he spoke and enunciated his words which was awesome. I also loved his scene with Barry and the team rushing to find him a trashcan for him to vomit into but I'm not sure why Diggle was in the episode at all to be honest. Like if the whole thing was going down in ARGUS, shouldn't Diggle have stuck around to help now that he's a part of it or at least call Lyla cause I know shit is going down in Star City right now too. I'm also not thrilled with how many times ARGUS pops up on Flash to be taken down by a meta cause it really makes the whole super secret powerful government spy organization seem weak.

The hallway fight scene where DeVoe murdered a bunch of ARGUS agents while instrumental music played in the background was pretty damn awesome though and it was probably my favorite fight scene of the night. Also it's kind of hilarious and totally lame that it took DeVoe 10 hours for him to get his generator charged. Like Siren X did the same thing in minutes but it's understandable cause the show needed to drag it out so the final showdown could take place at the end of the episode. I really enjoyed DeVoe tonight and how he views this Enlightenment as a way to educate the masses playing on the fact that he was a professor at one point. The whole plan on Barry's end seemed kind of silly cause like DeVoe said, of course he'd have a backup plan. They really should have had a way to take out more than one satellite just in case he had a backup to the one they destroyed.

I really wish I could be in the writers' room sometimes after episodes like this because I really would love to know why Barry is constantly written to be an ass. Over the course of 4 seasons we've learned that Barry is a terrible leader, a terrible mentor and cannot make a decision to save his life. How many times do we have to repeat the same storyline of Barry attempting to train someone and then getting frustrated and shutting down. He did it with Wally, Ralph and now Caitlin and Cisco. Why on Earth would a show want to write their main character like that?? Someone explain it to me. How can you blame me for disliking Barry?

We had some really annoying stuff with Joe and Cecile tonight as well and honestly this whole thing should have been thrown out. I still don't understand where Cecile's meta ability came from and none of these scenes were funny. I really wanted to fast-forward through them. I assume the baby will be born next week and it's about damn time. I miss the Cecile from before.

Some of my favorite scenes in this episode had to do with Iris and Harry and Marlize. I loved that Harry was the one to come up with the idea of finding Marlize to turn her. Iris was a little harsh in her response and though I understand why the idea of Marlize hits close to home for her, it was unexpected cause Iris is usually more calm and logical and tonight she refused to even acknowledge the idea that Marlize in her mind was doing good. I can forgive all of it though due to the amazing scene we got between Iris and Marlize at the end when Iris tried to convince Marlize that she was optimistic at one point and she still is under all the conditioning DeVoe put her through and I loved it. Like I said two weeks ago, I wouldn't have minded if Marlize became a Bigger Big Bad for this season but I also like the idea of her joining Team Flash. I wonder if Marlize will end up killing DeVoe in the end as a way of saving him from himself.

We also got a bit of progression on the whole Caitlin/Killer Frost thing and honestly it's left me more confused than before. We learn that Caitlin apparently has this memory she repressed from when she was young that we've never heard of before and that apparently Killer Frost was with her as a child before the particle accelerator. Does this make Caitlin some sort of mutant? Or maybe she was experimented on as a kid and gained these powers then. I don't love this idea cause if KF was with Caitlin all the time and like DID patients is another personality, shouldn't KF have come out multiple times over the past few seasons like when Ronnie died (both times) or when Hunter kidnapped her or when any meta kidnapped her in general? At the same time, I am a little interested in this cause we also just learned about a father we didn't know for Caitlin and I think it would be seriously awesome if her dad was also an ice-based villain from DC like Icicle or Mr Freeze. Maybe it was her dad that was experimented on while she thought he had ALS and then he passed it on to her like Black Lightning.

Oooh the promo for next week's finale episode looks super intense and really interesting! I love when the way to take down a villain is more than punching. I can't wait!

Also don't forget to check out my Riverdale finale review tomorrow night followed by Gotham and Arrow finales Thursday night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment