Monday, May 28, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 20 Review

I was really excited to see this episode and I really enjoyed everything with Kara and Mon El in space but there were chunks of the episode that I was just not about which dragged this episode down for me.

Let's start with the stuff I liked which was Argo City! I loved the idea that some part of Krypton lived on like the Bottle City of Candor only this time it was all of Argo on a space rock which is kind of hilarious. And of course the one thing Kara needed to save the Earth was what was keeping Argo City alive! I loved seeing Kara's mom alive and well and her reunion with Kara was sweet although a bit underwhelming cause I was expecting just more. More tears, more shaking, more emotion in general. I kind of hope Argo somehow comes to Earth at some point this season or next cause I can't imagine that the show would introduce this world and more importantly Kara's mom only to never touch on it again. I do understand why Kara had to leave right away (cause there is a Worldkiller on the loose) but it seemed kind of unlikely that Kara would be like okay bye and not even bother to ask her mom to come with them. I'm hoping this foreshadows our return to Argo.

Especially since it seems that one of the members of the council is the same priestess that's been counseling Reign. I hardcore didn't recognize her until the end of the episode when she donned her cloak because like I've said before I don't really like the whole Reign storyline so I sort of tune out when she comes on. I loved the scene where Kara had to beg the council to help and that they did after hearing her speech. I know I harp on the whole full of hopeful speeches thing Kara always does but I think it really really works in certain cases and this was one of those. I kind of also really liked that we touched again on who is Kara. I feel like the theme of this season has been for Kara to question who she really is and whether Kara Danvers or Kara Zor El is her real personality and that came up again tonight when Kara mentioned to Mon El how comforting it is to be around only him cause she doesn't have to pretend.

Speaking of Mon El, tonight was another episode where we saw how different this Mon El is but yet the same. He was so regal when he talked to Alura (and I loved that she welcomed him almost immediately unlike how Kara judged him to be a bad person just cause he was from Daxam) and that he was so touched by the sick child he saw. I loved that he returned the cloaks they stole and that he was able to cure that child of his illness. I kept waiting for that child or his mom to show up and tell Kara or the council what good he did as a way to convince the council to help but luckily it wasn't needed.

Sidebar I was kind of glad that this episode wasn't Kara and Mon El talk about their feelings in space like I thought it would be. Like I know they're going to get back together at some point and that in order to do so they need to talk but hardcore I don't want to watch it. I miss Kara and Mon El from last season when they were just this adorable couple.

I actually also really enjoyed the little bit we got with Lena and Reign tonight. I loved that Lena was struggling with whether or not to kill Reign as a last resort and whether killing one life to save the world would be worth it of if she'd become a monster. Personally if you've been following my Agents of SHIELD reviews or know my stance from Arrow, I do think it would have been worth it to kill one person in order to save the world. It was a very secret agent move and unfortunately one the DEO wouldn't make now that they work with Supergirl.

Now to the stuff I didn't like. Ruby Ruby Ruby. I was finally warming up to her last week but she went right back to annoying this week. And it's like I'm thrilled that Winn got something to do but babysitting a brat wasn't one of them. I hate how inconsistently the show writes Ruby to be. One minute she's super smart and the next she throws tantrums about missing her mom. Girl we know. Winn would have been the best person to talk to losing a parent on paper but in actuality I was so bored and actually cheering him one when he was being a dick to Ruby.

Another annoying storyline this season was the stuff with Alex. Despite this, I did like that it all boiled down to Alex wondering if she could be both a mother and a DEO agent. Now I don't think J'onn was probs the right person to ask (psst call Oliver Queen.) What I didn't like was that this part of the episode dragged on and on and I was so bored during most of it. I mean talk about low stakes. We all know Alex is going to be fine so why bother. I did wonder by  the end of the episode if maybe this was gearing up to Alex leaving the DEO (and possibly the show) and dude if I wasn't about to lose my shit. cause if Alex leaves the DEO that's pretty much a goodbye to her character as the show can barely handle it's few characters in the DEO.

Next week's promo looks like it'll touch on pretty much everything I was talking about slash hoping for from Argo City. Kara and Mon El will be going back possibly for good (at least on Kara's part) and a lot of the episode will probably focus on the question of whether Kara can be selfish or not cause if she stays on Argo with her mom then the Earth is vulnerable but if she stays on Earth, her mom who she thought was dead wouldn't be with her. I still hope for some sort of compromise like moving Argo to our moon or in our atmosphere or something. Since the dome functions to block others from seeing it through satellites, they could live anywhere around Earth without being noticed like the Inhumans in the comics. That way Kara can visit more often and not have to leave Earth unprotected. I also kind of wish Superman could come back for an episode or so cause he needs to know about Argo City!

Anyway I'll see you all next week for my next Supergirl review! Also don't forget to check out my Top 10 Episodes of - Insert Show Here - that I am posting every day this week!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment