Thursday, May 3, 2018

Arrow Season 6 Episode 21 Review

What an epic and intense episode of Arrow we had tonight! So many feels! I hardcore don't even know where to start with cause so much happened. I guess since pretty much everything happened during the trial we can mostly go chronologically.

So the trial starts and like we assumed the judge and the jury were both paid off by Diaz though I was surprised that Diaz let the prosecutor be a legit one cause to me Diaz seems like he would want to control every single aspect of everything so why leave anything up to chance (no pun intended lol.) It was interesting to watch this trial compared to the trial on the Flash earlier this season (cause seriously how can you not) because of how different it was. The Flash's trial was legit but Barry couldn't allow himself or anyone else to lie on the stand so he had no evidence to prove his innocence which is why he lost while Team Arrow had "fake" evidence on evidence to prove Oliver's innocence but Arrow's trial was dirty from top to bottom which is they almost lost. It never ceases to be funny to me how different the ideals of Oliver are vs Barry and Kara (even if I prefer Oliver's stand.) I loved that Oliver basically cheated to win and I have no gumption about it cause it's not like the trial was all that legit in the first place.

Despite that, it was hard to see all our loved ones ripped apart on the stand. Well all except Curtis who for some reason didn't get called to the stand (probs cause he doesn't have anyone/anything to be threatened with by Diaz) and Dinah who was the worst at being questioned and really should have listened to Rene about practicing. It was super annoying to see her be like why the hell do you even care Rene at the beginning of the episode cause I really wanted to smack her but this episode might have redeemed Rene for me just a smidge. My heart broke when Diaz brought Rene's daughter into the courthouse to threaten him and how stunned and frightened he was and that it was ultimately Oliver who gave Rene the permission to say that he was the Green Arrow. I still will never understand why Rene didn't come to Oliver when he was first threatened by Watson but since Oliver forgave him tonight and Rene seemed to forgive Oliver, I will too. I am curious about why no one thought to put Zoey in ARGUS cause it seems obvious to me that Diaz would have threatened her life.

Diggle was MVP tonight by flying all the way to Kasnia to get Human Target and being the most badass at the start of the episode. I also loved how he testified though it was irritating as hell when the prosecutor rolled over Diggle when he tried to talk. I know why this had to happen but it wasn't any less annoying. She did the same to Felicity later which I'll talk about in a second. What also didn't make the most sense to me was how her pointed statement about Diggle getting hurt a lot was evidence that maybe he wasn't all that straight and I'm sitting here like dude the city is attacked basically every year so of course their would be causalities and I kind of wish Diggle had said something to that affect though like I said she rolled right over him and didn't let him speak. I did love that he and Oliver apparently came up with a whole plan before this which means that though Diggle is working with ARGUS now, he still loves Oliver like a brother and they do still trust each other enough to reach for help.

Felicity also killed it on the stand. She was very calm and collected and I was so proud of her for not babbling (Oliver was too.) I loved that she was able to use her brain to explain why the photo was doctored and how silly it was to doctor a photo because if Oliver was the Green Arrow then there would be ample proof or at least a real photo of him. I also loved that she was able to shoot down the theory that she and Oliver got married for spousal privilege (which I'm so glad the lawyers talked about cause I was confused for a second as to why she was even testifying) because I love when she and Oliver talk about how much they love each other. I wasn't a huge fan of the prosecutor's pointed statement that she thought discredited Felicity being about her father cause again like with Diggle, she rolled over Felicity but I'm not sure why Felicity didn't discredit that. Her father left her when she was like 5 or 6 so how on Earth was she supposed to know that he was a criminal compared to Oliver who she's married to. Like how is that a parallel. I did love her badass line about not being a hacker and that she would love to see the prosecutor find anything to contradict that. That's my girl!

Now onto the best part of the episode. Tommy freaking Merlyn!!! Yeah yeah it wasn't actually Tommy like we all called last week and yeah it was the Human Target playing him but it was so sweet to see Colin O'Donnell again and I don't care how or why he shows up because the more Tommy the better. Why can't he be the character with 50 doppelgangers that keep popping up left and right like the Laurel ones?? God Colin looked so good in the Green Arrow costume and I always thought that maybe Stephen was the only one that could pull it off cause when David wore it, it never really looked right but I think probs cause Colin's build is similar to Stephen's, it worked. Anyway back to the topic on hand, I loved that he came down from the ceiling all badass and took the stand to explain what was happening. It was the perfect play given that a dead character wouldn't have to go into hiding or suffer any consequences like Roy did.

Black Siren finally redeemed herself as well tonight. I was actually pretty sure from the promos that she wouldn't testify against Oliver and that she would be like the Green Arrow isn't him cause after last week when she was wavering and clearly not on the Diaz boat anymore, I assumed she was pretty much entirely redeemed and that eventually she would pull up her big girl pants and realize that she was stronger and more badass than Diaz. I loved that she said that Tommy was the Green Arrow and was basically like screw you Diaz and tried to kill him. I am a little annoyed with how the whole thing ended cause seriously Arrow, Black Siren is stronger than Diaz by far and one Canary Cry should have knocked him out cause it's done that so many times before. Like her Cry literally took down a building on Flash last season, knocking one non-powered man should be nothing. It would have made more sense if Black Siren walked up to Diaz and couldn't Canary Cry at all cause he turned the dampener on the moment he saw her. I was also surprised that he didn't kill her. I was really expecting Black Siren to die tonight and I'm a little disappointed it didn't happen cause it makes no sense from Diaz's perspective not to. He had no hesitation in killing the judge when he clearly knows the judge didn't cross him.

I do have to say that I wasn't surprised when the judge ruled Oliver's sentencing as null because I assumed that somehow Rene and Diggle must have either freed whoever Diaz was keeping captive to keep the judge in check or just straight out threatened the judge to get him to do this. I completely forgot that Human Target was still around to step in cause I assumed that he was one and done like so many characters that pop in to help. Suck on that Diaz. I was surprised overall that the show let Oliver go cause I really thought that he would reveal his identity by the end of the season and get out only by proving that he's the only one in the city trying to be good cause everyone else was bought. I thought that Diaz would need to be exposed for Oliver to be safe but I'm kind of glad it ended up this way.

Next week looks great as well. Diaz is going to try to kill everyone (and obvi fail) which is both hilarious and kind of annoying. Annoying cause he's defaulted back to the villain trope that all villains do in let's kill all the loved ones to stop. I do like that this was Plan B rather than Plan A cause at least for a few episodes, we had something fresh. It's hilarious cause again Diaz is not a scary Big Bad at all. His strength lies in having the whole city on his payroll and keeping Oliver and Team Arrow away from him. The second he's alone, he's as good as dead. I assume after these coordinated attacks that everyone will be trying to hide in ARGUS to stay safe. Speaking of, Lyla's back next week so that's exciting!

I'll see you all tomorrow for my Agents of SHIELD review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment