Monday, May 14, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 18 Review

I'm sorry but I think I'm over this whole season. I cannot get behind Reign/Sam as a villain and I cannot stand Ruby and because of this, season 3 of Supergirl is leaving a terrible taste in my mouth which is unfortunate cause I do love this show.

Let's start with the most interesting stuff and that was the J'onn and Myr'nn stuff. My heart still breaks every time J'onn has a scene with his father and tonight was no different. It was so sad to see how depressed Myr'nn was at the start of the episode and how he was slowly losing all concept of the present. I was glad that he was able to help Kara and J'onn with Reign though it did feel kind of contrived that Kara wouldn't know that to get to Reign, she had to appeal to Reign's sense of justice but I can let that go cause I enjoy every moment we get with Myr'nn. It was heartbreaking once again to see him repeat the same conversation he just had with J'onn at the end of the episode because amidst all the comic book craziness that's happening on screen, this is the most real. I feel for them and every time we see more of this storyline, I wish we could spend more time with them.

The second most interesting part of this episode was with Lena specifically her interactions with Supergirl and Kara. Like I said before, I'm so over James and I'm not really feeling her relationship with him. I don't know what it is but straight up Mehcad has had no chemistry with any of the ladies he's been paired up with since the start of the show and it's unfortunate cause we're supposed to believe that Lena and James are really into each other but meh. What does work for me is the growing tension between Lena and Kara and how real it feels. I have been wanting villain Lena since she appeared on the show cause you can't have a Super show without a Luthor and I worried a bit that the show would never pull the trigger on Lena but I'm actually loving how subtle and nuanced Lena's turn is. Unlike Reign or Killer Frost last season, she isn't suddenly evil but we're slowly seeing why Lena might not trust Supergirl anymore.

I loved that Lena had good intentions with the Kryptonite and her argument about why Supergirl is too proud made sense to me. I know a car/gun is different than Kryptonite but I understood the argument Lena was making and I believed in it to a degree. I loved that it led to Lena calling out Supergirl for wanting to be a god and that by the end of the episode, she was no longer on Supergirl's side cause it would have been super cheesy if she suddenly decided to forgive Supergirl especially after Supergirl used her personal relationship against her to spy on Lena. That was crossing the line and even if Kara claims that it was for a good cause blah blah blah, it was wrong and I can't wait to see more of this tension between the two grow. I wonder if next season would be too early for Lena to become the Big Bad. If I had to pick, I'd hold off another season and let the tension grow for one more cause the tenser the relationship between the two, the more believable Lena's turn to her Luthor side would be!

We had some great Brainy scenes tonight but like always he's underused and that's sad. We got a great moment where he gave Winn some future dirt and was like based on my calculations you seemed like someone who collected dirt and though I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or not, I died. I also loved that he bugged the dirt and tried to kiss Winn. I hope he's not gone for good but I have a feeling that we'll see him maybe one more time before he's done for good. We also got some more Imra and saw the Legion attempt to leave for the future which is still confusing to me cause I thought the whole point was that there was no portal to the future and that they needed to go the long way around unless that was part of the lie Imra and Brainy told Mon El. That would make sense cause Mon El was able to turn around while the others left.

Imra told Mon El to stay and help Kara and figure out whether he wants to be with her or Kara. I'm still going on the assumption that Mon El is going to pick Kara in the end and I still believe that. I just wish he was less wishy washy about the whole thing cause it's clear to anyone with eyes that he still loves Kara and probably loves her more than Imra and I wish with this new personality that he has that he was able to talk about it like an adult with Imra before she basically gave him permission to leave her. I don't like in love triangles when the person that they end up with feels more like a consolation prize than the main choice. I've been struggling with this concept over on Timeless as well in that both cases have crazy circumstances but at least Mon El is doing better at making Kara seem like his first choice than Wyatt is doing with Lucy.

We had some annoying stuff with Ruby and Alex and I'm just irritated with the whole thing. I hate hate hate when in shows someone is being held somewhere for their safety and that person throws a fit about it or wants to leave or wants to call someone. Like seriously have you never seen a tv show or movie in your life? You never call someone cause a cell signal can be traced! Goddamn it Ruby. And then she takes it out on Alex about lying to her and I'm like yeah cause you're adult enough to hear the truth and not act like an idiot. I really expected her to run out of the mansion when Alex turned away rather than call her mom. Can someone kill her already please? I cannot stand any more of this character. Sam's adoptive mom wasn't any better and I'm so glad they killed her off cause I really thought after that scene in the DEO that she'd miraculously survive.

The final fight between Mon El, Kara, Alex and Reign was great though I was disappointed that Reign was able to get into that secret vault. You would think that Lex Luthor of all people would have built his secret vault room let alone his whole mansion as Kryptonian proof. I know Reign isn't fully Kryptonian in the first place which is annoying cause the writers seem to pick and choose when Kryptonite affects her. Remember a few episodes back when she was injected with Kryptonite and basically shook it off before flying away? Lena did say she modified it to specifically affect Reign so I guess I can give it a bit of a pass. I still don't like cape tricks that much but I did like how Kara and Mon El worked together to hold Reign while Alex shot her and then how Mon El crushed the Kryptonite into the gun and then shot Reign with it.

Sidebar, is Mon El technically more indestructible than Kara now cause her weakness is still Kryptonite but Mon El was cured of his lead allergy in the 31st century. With his powers, I wouldn't say he's stronger than Kara but at least he's more invulnerable right?

Ugh it looks like next week's episode is a Guardian/James centric one which is annoying but I'm trying to keep an open mind cause one of my favorite episodes last season was the James centric one. I do think the placement of this episode was weird cause where we should be ramping up towards the finale, we're actually taking a side trip to play around with other storylines.

All new Flash tomorrow night! Keep an eye out!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment