Monday, October 10, 2016

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 1 Review

OH MY FREAKING GOD. Did you all experience this episode as I did??? Was it not the most comic-booky awesomeness ever??? Something about this show makes me fangirl so hard. This episode was amazing. It was all the best parts of season 1 in one episode! Supergirl kicking ass, Alex kicking ass, Martian Manhunter, Kara and James being friends, and Winn being dorky!! Let's get into shall we.

I was worried about the size and age of Tyler Hoechlin when I found out that he was cast as Superman because not only was Clark is supposed to be 12 years older than Kara and Tyler and Melissa are pretty close in age but Tyler wasn't as buff as I pictured Superman to be. After watching this episode, I have to admit that I did not think of my fears at all and even when it was mentioned on the show, I just nodded along to their explanation which now that I'm thinking about it was super cheesy. Then again, this is a world where glasses confuses people enough not to recognize a hero in front of them.

I loved Clark's klutzy-ness and how everyone was in love with him and his bro-shake with James. I wonder if they're going to cast a Lois Lane for this show if Superman is going to be hanging out around National City longer. Melissa and Tyler have great chemistry and it was very believable on screen that they are family. I loved watching them fly around and work together to save lives. Even the short lines from Clark to Alex about Alex's father were great. The fight between Hank and Clark seems kinda contrived but also makes sense in the end.

The James and Kara breakup was kinda out of nowhere cause all of a sudden Kara decided she wanted them to stay friends when all she wanted last season was to date James.... I wonder how much of this is based on the audience response to their relationship and how little anyone shipped them. If we know anything about Berlanti and Co, they definitely listen to their fans. I personally kinda ship Kara with Winn more than James but that's only because I feel like James is barely a character other than hot guy.

I also like Lena Luthor so far but I was a little disappointed that the show outright revealed that Lena was good because I know Katie McGrath is an awesome actress from Merlin and I know she can play double-agent so I was hoping to see some of that. It would have been more impactful if her goodness was revealed later on. Although it is possible that she'll turn bad later on in the season which I would be okay with. Cadmus seems awesomely evil though and I'm so excited to see where it goes. Superboy anyone??

Kara becoming a reporter was expected because duh what else would she be??! Winn joining the DEO also made sense based on the fact that CatCo isn't going to be as frequently depicted anymore and based on the fact that his tech skills were better than every DEO tech agent last season.

Speaking of CatCo not appearing as frequently as before, I should touch on the move to CW really quick. So far I haven't really noticed any major changes but I assume that will change in next week's episode. I know Cat is going to become a series recurring and that the DEO has a new base that honestly I don't think is just as nice as than the old one. It's lit better I guess? The CGI still looks the same to me which is excellent and a lot of the sets are still the same so no real big change there.

Overall I loved this episode so much and it makes me sad that a lot of people are missing out on this incredible show because they didn't give the show a chance. Hopefully more people will pick it up now that it's in the Flarrow Universe or at least on the CW now. Keep an eye out for my Gotham review!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment