Monday, October 31, 2016

Supergirl Season 2 Episode 4 Review

This episode was everything. Where else are there actual superhero fight clubs??? Ugh I loved it and I'm so excited about this season. I love how different it is from the other Flarrow-verse shows in that it has a overarching villain but at the same time the theme of the season is kind of more important and I love this theme of aliens figuring out where they belong and how they fit in. It's fascinating this idea that there are all these aliens just chilling on Earth that we didn't know about! I am so glad the procedural elements of season 1 are gone because I've never been a fan of procedurals. I swear Supergirl could not have done anything better for itself than moving to CW.

Okay so firstly, let's get right into the fight club! I didn't know anything about Roulette until I googled her and the costume in the show was exactly like the one in the comics which is always fun. In the comics, she forced the Justice Society to fight each other and although we saw a bit of that in this episode, I hope we see more in the future of heroes fighting each other. It seems like both in the comics and the show that the fights are done between mostly willing participants but it would be fun if she ended up building a collar of some kind that could kill those who refused to fight as more of an incentive. M'gann claimed that she and J'onn had to fight or else but I was sitting there the whole time wondering how on Earth a normal human was threatening aliens with powers. It was the only plot hole in this episode that took me out of the fun. But I was glad that Roulette didn't get arrested cause that means there will be more of her in the future!

I liked M'gann and J'onn this episode a lot. It was fun seeing J'onn trying to bond with M'gann both through speaking and through a telepathic link. M'gann is a lot older than she is in the comics normally so I'm wondering if the show cast an older woman for the part specifically so M'gann and J'onn can be in a relationship. I would be fine if they did because although unexpected, I wouldn't mind. Martian Manhunter has always seemed to be a loner in the comics cause he has no interest in human women so a Martian (even a White Martian) would be fine. I liked the reveal at the end of the episode that M'gann was a White Martian which was done so non-comicbook readers would know who she really was. I'm excited to see this storyline play out cause again J'onn has such hatred for White Martians that it'll be an adventure to explore. I also hope she meets Supergirl at some point because they're friends in the comics.

The fight between M'gann and J'onn was fun to watch too. I liked that they were able to become invisible and transport during the fights because Martians can do that and it never makes sense to me why J'onn gets punched in fights cause he should be able to avoid them unless he's surprised or attacked from behind so it was nice to see the show recognize that. I don't mind it too much because it's probably just a matter of budget for the show.

After this episode, I am certain that Alex is the LGBTQ main character that Berlanti promised we'd get. It was much less subtle this episode in how Alex felt about Maggie especially with how jealous she was when she saw Maggie kiss another girl. Even Kara felt like something was up. What I am enjoying about this is how slow the progression of this storyline is. I'm assuming based on what we've seen so far, Alex does not know that she's into women (or maybe she's just realizing she's bi). Her and Maggie have great chemistry and it'll be fun to explore this more.

Mon El and Winn partying was my favorite thing. I loved how Mon played Winn into taking him out and that Winn knew what was happening but did it anyway. Winn's hangover the next day and very obviosu guilt slayed me. I'm loving Winn this season. I hope the whole costume and codename thing does end up happening cause I would definitely enjoy that. His costume is like Superman's but in the opposite colors and without the S symbol and he's known as Valor. I also love how Daxomites are literally the frat bros of the universe. Kara definitely needs to relax a little sometimes and Mon will probably be perfect for that. I'm glad that the cold shoulder Kara is giving him ended this episode because any more episodes of that and it would have gotten repetitive. I liked how she decided to take him under her wing and become a mentor of a sort.

Look's like based on the promos that we're finally going to get Guardian next episode and the return of jealous James Olsen which should be fun. I also loved how Mon got a nerdy outfit to wear out as if all superpowered people need to wear glasses. I'm looking forward to it.

Tune in tomorrow for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment